• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What car do you drive/own?

Honestly. I would suggest anything that isn't foreign. While they might be nicer cars or drive nicer. They're always more expensive and parts can be hard to find, as well as a mechanic who can put them on. My friend has a VW Beetle, she has to take it 3 hours out of town just to have a mechanic who actually knows what they're doing, because foreign cars are different and you can't generally take them to just any mechanic. Buicks are always nice cars. That was my first car. A 1994 Buick Skylark. Still sits in my driveway with only 101k miles on it. Only one owner before me, and the only thing I ever had to do to that car was put new breaks and rotors on it. Drives smooth, amazing on gas, I could have a full tank last me 2 or more weeks.

I currently drive a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. My dads first car he bought brand new was a Pontiac (he always bought used cars until 02 when he got his Pontiac) He'd still be driving it to this day if I didn't smash it into someone else's car. XD he got a new car out of though! So it's okay, ahahaha.
But he only ever had to put regular things in, oil, batteries, never had a problem with it at all.
My Pontiac has given me no trouble except lately it doesn't wanna start every once in a while, but it has a nine year old battery in it. And most batteries are recommended to stay in for 3 years. XD so I think I just need a new battery.
for a v6 it gets pretty good gas mileage. It has all electronic dash. If I press info on my radio it will even tell me how much life my oil has left.
Heated leather seats, it's a nice and good car!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also I realize if you're not from the US your version of forgein may be different. But the same things still apply about mechanics and such if the car is foreign to you.

I'm looking to buy a car & want to see what ya'll drive to get some feedback. Honestly have no preference so any info is helpful!!

Uh I don't....... Have a car?
But my parents drive a Hyundai sonata something.

My neighbours have a Lexus RX 400H and it's my absolute dream car. I myself drive in an old Volkswagen Passat B5 Variant, which I'm pretty happy with. The car is still working after all those years of different owners. When I'm going to take on drivings lessons I'll already have more experience than most people. Don't worry, I don't drive too far with it.

Last edited:
I drive a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. Love the car, but it's a bit wide for my tastes. Makes parking absolute hell.

I'd go with a newer Kia honestly. Great gas mileage and if you have tech that you want to integrate (like bluetooth or audio stuff) it has it all built in.

Although I don't have a car, I own a nice pair of legs that takes me everywhere I need to go :) I also use the subway on occasion.

i have a lovely turquoise/dark greenish blue colored toyota corolla! basically the same car as half the people on the road xD but it's a pretty color, so i like it. :3 plus it gets awesome gas mileage and doesn't cause trouble very often!

I have driven a 1995 honda civic, a 2003 nissan sentra, and I own a 2015 Mazda 3 sport (hatchback). The Mazda was my first car I've owned.

I love my mazda, it was totally worth the money. Buying it new was my best option, and they tend to hold their value pretty well.

@dasbreenee: if you see a security icon flashing on yer dash then it's a problem with the passlock sensor in the ignition cylinder. If that's the case you gotta turn yer key to start the car (without starting the engine) and wait 12 minutes or until the icon stops flashing. When it stops flashing you should be able to start the car. If nothing is flashing it's prolly just the battery lol

@ZR388: actually I've heard a lot of people are going with Kia now. The Kia Soul looks pretty nice. :cool:

Last edited:
my mom has an audi rs7 and my brother has a nissan maxima
he's going to college this year in nyc so when i get my license in like 9 months ill take his car since he's keeping it here

@dasbreenee: if you see a security icon flashing on yer dash then it's a problem with the passlock sensor in the ignition cylinder. If that's the case you gotta turn yer key to start the car (without starting the engine) and wait 12 minutes or until the icon stops flashing. When it stops flashing you should be able to start the car. If nothing is flashing it's prolly just the battery lol
I heard about this online when I tried looking it up to see if it was a recall issue or something!
Will the flashing icon be constant, or just when I turn it on? And if I do this 12 minute thing, will it fix it 'permanently' or just for that one time?

Also, yes. Kia. I wanted a Kia Soul so bad, but it wasn't in my price range for the time being. The used ones were around 10k for an older one that had crazy miles on it. And I didn't wanna travel out of state. They're great cars.

I have a 2010 Ford Focus lul. Not the hatchback one. It gets great gas mileage and I haven't had any problems with it so it works for me

I've got a little 2014 Nissan Versa. 4-door with stick shift. It was my first stick shift car.
2luq5uo.jpg

I've got a little 2014 Nissan Versa. 4-door with stick shift. It was my first stick shift car.
2luq5uo.jpg

Good way to let the a holes know to be patient.
Normally I can tell when someone is driving a stick though. XD

I heard about this online when I tried looking it up to see if it was a recall issue or something!
Will the flashing icon be constant, or just when I turn it on? And if I do this 12 minute thing, will it fix it 'permanently' or just for that one time?

Also, yes. Kia. I wanted a Kia Soul so bad, but it wasn't in my price range for the time being. The used ones were around 10k for an older one that had crazy miles on it. And I didn't wanna travel out of state. They're great cars.

There's this anti theft system that comes standard with Pontiacs and some people will have trouble with it while others won't. I heard that it's different with cars after 2006 so it may or may not be the case but it's worth a shot cause it sucks to get stranded; I've had it happen to me a bunch of times lol. Basically yer key has a sensor chip that reacts to the car ( it tells the car if the key belongs to the car and if the sensor doesn't read it won't allow the car to turn on.) so if you go to start up but the engine doesn't turn on then check yer dashboard cause it'll flash to tell you that the anti theft has been activated. If that's the case you just put yer key in and wait for the light to stop flashing (12 minutes seems to be the average wait) cause when the light stays lit (aka no flash) that means the antitheft has been deactivated and yer good to turn the key all the way. If you try to start the engine while it's flashing it'll make the process start over so definitely be patient lol Usually the first time you use this trick it'll stop locking up, but if yer car continues to lock up afterwards, you might have to take it to a manufacturing mechanic cause most regular mechanics won't know what to do. There have been recalls for the issue in the last year but they'll generally send you something in the mail. The only permanent way to get rid of it is having someone replace the ignition cylinder and give you new keys which can be a pain.

There's also the potential that yer not getting enough power from yer battery, so charging it or exchanging for a new one wouldn't hurt either. Another option is that you can look at yer battery where the ground wires are connected and check to see if there is residue around the connection. If you see white powdery stuff you can use use a hand brush and brush it away. That usually improves things a bit.

I had a severe case dealing with that sensor where sometimes I had to wait two hours to use my car @-@ so hopefully it's not that. I don't know why they kept putting it into their cars lol it seems to cause trouble for the owners. Mine got so bad that it was cheaper to just trade it in lol

I've witnessed the sound system in the Kia Soul and it's pretty awesome for a standard feature lol

Last edited:
I'm looking at a few Hyundai Elantra's. Anyone have any advice or stories about those?

not even going to say what i drive because i HATE it. i should have it paid off in a few months & i can't WAIT to get a new car.
so I'm going to bum through this thread myself >:I

There's this anti theft system that comes standard with Pontiacs and some people will have trouble with it while others won't. I heard that it's different with cars after 2006 so it may or may not be the case but it's worth a shot cause it sucks to get stranded; I've had it happen to me a bunch of times lol. Basically yer key has a sensor chip that reacts to the car ( it tells the car if the key belongs to the car and if the sensor doesn't read it won't allow the car to turn on.) so if you go to start up but the engine doesn't turn on then check yer dashboard cause it'll flash to tell you that the anti theft has been activated. If that's the case you just put yer key in and wait for the light to stop flashing (12 minutes seems to be the average wait) cause when the light stays lit (aka no flash) that means the antitheft has been deactivated and yer good to turn the key all the way. If you try to start the engine while it's flashing it'll make the process start over so definitely be patient lol Usually the first time you use this trick it'll stop locking up, but if yer car continues to lock up afterwards, you might have to take it to a manufacturing mechanic cause most regular mechanics won't know what to do. There have been recalls for the issue in the last year but they'll generally send you something in the mail. The only permanent way to get rid of it is having someone replace the ignition cylinder and give you new keys which can be a pain.

There's also the potential that yer not getting enough power from yer battery, so charging it or exchanging for a new one wouldn't hurt either. Another option is that you can look at yer battery where the ground wires are connected and check to see if there is residue around the connection. If you see white powdery stuff you can use use a hand brush and brush it away. That usually improves things a bit.

I had a severe case dealing with that sensor where sometimes I had to wait two hours to use my car @-@ so hopefully it's not that. I don't know why they kept putting it into their cars lol it seems to cause trouble for the owners. Mine got so bad that it was cheaper to just trade it in lol

I've witnessed the sound system in the Kia Soul and it's pretty awesome for a standard feature lol

Thank you so much! I read stuff online about it, but not a single page made sense to me. This finally makes sense. XD
Yeah I just bought this car a few months ago and was devastated when it was already doing this! I just turned 19 and this is the first loan I took out for a car, so I was so hesitant to the point where I just wanted to get a brand new car, but couldn't afford it. I love the look of the G5/G6 though. Usually I think pontiacs aren't good looking cars, and I'm pretty picky. But I thought the powder blue on this car just made it look even nicer. :p

I'm looking at a few Hyundai Elantra's. Anyone have any advice or stories about those?

I was looking into getting one in January, I sat in one and it felt pretty nice but the inside was all plastic-y and my dad didn't feel very safe sitting in it since he's a tall dude and he felt if someone crashed into his side of the car he would just be dead in an instant. I'm not really sure what it's safety ratings were but I really liked the look of it and I have a lot of friends with Elantras that love them. I'm sure they're good cars, and have a good price.

Back