Red Rose
Yellow Rose
White Rose
Jingle Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
my sister's puppy is not only spoiled and picky as hell, he also likes to chew on things dogs normally shouldn't eat.
I'm talking about candy! candy is VERY HARMFUL for dogs because it gives them diabetes (also blindness, kidney failure which would kill them) but for some reason this dog LOVES the smell of candy and would search the trash bin for candy wrapping papers and lollipop sticks to chew on, why? I thought these guys are carnivores?
sorry if the topic sounds a bit dumb but I just want to know if dogs normally like candy or smell of candy? I'm talking about a REALLY picky mother****** here
and before you say "why not hide candy from him" well we do but where else are we going to throw the wrapping papers other than the trash bin? we're trying to teach him not to play with trash but guess it'll take time, my sister already takes him for training weekly.

he's a black havanese mix btw
Screenshot_2015-07-02-03-50-32.jpg

I feel like dogs just love all "human food" in general but if it's really that picky and loves candy, then maybe he just has good taste?

Also, maybe keep the garbage can in a room the dog doesn't go into, or maybe get a new garbage can he can't get into? We have one that's really tall and you have to step on a pedal for the can to open, and my dogs have never gotten in it.

Last edited:
I feel like dogs just love all "human food" in general but if it's really that picky and loves candy, then maybe he just has good taste?

Also, maybe keep the garbage can in a room the dog doesn't go into, or maybe get a new garbage can he can't get into? We have one that's really tall and you have to step on a pedal for the can to open, and my dogs have never gotten in it.

This. You need to upgrade the size or performance of your trash can. That's all I can think of other than not eating candy anymore. I don't think that second option is a world you want to live in...

Please do NOT consider feeding your dog any candy, chocolate, or human food. It can make then very sick and that bad.

1) change your bin. whether it be by buying a new one that he wont be able to access, or seclude your bin in a cupboard that he wont be able to open
2) stop eating candy (it's no good for you either)
3) put your candy wrappers in a container on the bench where your dog cant reach and then throw them out when the trash goes out so your dog can't get to them
4) roll your candy wrappers in something like chilli/curry powder or squirt them with citrus, or something that tastes horrible to dogs before you put them in the bin, so your whenever your dog goes for the candy wrappers, he'll probably not enjoy them due to the coating, and probably learn to stop eating them after enough time
5) guard the bin with a spray bottle and squirt him whenever he goes near the bin (works if your dog doesn't like water)
6) buy him toys so he has something else to chew on because he could be chewing on candy wrappers because he's bored

Please do NOT consider feeding your dog any candy, chocolate, or human food. It can make then very sick and that bad.

did you even read the OP?

1) change your bin. whether it be by buying a new one that he wont be able to access, or seclude your bin in a cupboard that he wont be able to open
3) put your candy wrappers in a container on the bench where your dog cant reach and then throw them out when the trash goes out so your dog can't get to them
4) roll your candy wrappers in something like chilli/curry powder or squirt them with citrus, or something that tastes horrible to dogs before you put them in the bin, so your whenever your dog goes for the candy wrappers, he'll probably not enjoy them due to the coating, and probably learn to stop eating them after enough time
5) guard the bin with a spray bottle and squirt him whenever he goes near the bin (works if your dog doesn't like water)
6) buy him toys so he has something else to chew on because he could be chewing on candy wrappers because he's bored

Omg Jake you should be a veterinarian or pet expert for lack of a better terms X)

Last edited:
Yeah, I think dogs just like the smell of all human food. They'll try to eat chocolate if you don't stop them, cause they don't know it'll hurt them, so you really need to keep an eye out for them and don't leave food lying around >.<

try to get one of those fancy electronic cans where you press the button and the lid opens
i highly doubt your dog will be able to get into that so it'll be safe ovo

those are some weird ass ideas, where did you get them from? :p
oh I forgot to mention this puppy has all the toys and treats in the wolrd a puppy can get, I did mention he's spoiled~
thanks btw <3

- - - Post Merge - - -

lol thanks! why haven't I thought about getting a taller bin before?? XP
only problem is that those taller/large bins are ugly as hell and don't really fit well in a bedroom, they belong in the kitchen

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, I think dogs just like the smell of all human food. They'll try to eat chocolate if you don't stop them, cause they don't know it'll hurt them, so you really need to keep an eye out for them and don't leave food lying around >.<

haha the funny thing about his is that he doesn't actually eat meat! he loves chicken! I did mention he's picky :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

try to get one of those fancy electronic cans where you press the button and the lid opens

tehe ones we have come with lids but has a habit of pushing the bin so it falls along with the lid, he's smarter than he looks XD

- - - Post Merge - - -

tehe ones we have come with lids but has a habit of pushing the bin so it falls along with the lid, he's smarter than he looks XD

- - - Post Merge - - -

thank you all for your answers!!! especially Geekaloompa, that was very helpful :p
I just learned that Jake is/was a vet! haha good luck with your studies, kid :3

Last edited:
Aw he is SO cute! Dogs are actually omnivores and eat just about anything. My dog eats fruit and veg occasionally. I think they're just attracted to any strong food smell really, of course a lot of human food is very bad for them though. make sure if he eats a lot of sweets or chocolate that's toxic to him you take him to the vet urgently

Aw he is SO cute! Dogs are actually omnivores and eat just about anything. My dog eats fruit and veg occasionally. I think they're just attracted to any strong food smell really, of course a lot of human food is very bad for them though. make sure if he eats a lot of sweets or chocolate that's toxic to him you take him to the vet urgently

haha thanks! oh and I thought they should only eat meat! makes sense since he likes to eat red/green apples. and no no no no we NEVER let him near any sweets because we heard dogs and cats might easily get diabetes from the smallest amount of sugar which made me wonder why he likes the smell of candy to begin with :p

Last edited:
well humans are the same, we're attracted to the smell of sugary fatty foods even though we get ill from it a lot. a lot of animals evolved to be attracted to foods high in fat so that they can store the fat in case they can't find food one day (naturally dogs wouldn't come across a chocolate bar very often haha). that's why we also enjoy junk food... and make sure you don't let him eat any apple seeds btw! they're quite toxic for dogs :)

edit: oh i should also mention that if you're gunna' give your dog fruit or veg to look google if the exact food is safe first, some unexpected food like grapes are really toxic to dogs!

Last edited:
well humans are the same, we're attracted to the smell of sugary fatty foods even though we get ill from it a lot. a lot of animals evolved to be attracted to foods high in fat so that they can store the fat in case they can't find food one day (naturally dogs wouldn't come across a chocolate bar very often haha). that's why we also enjoy junk food... and make sure you don't let him eat any apple seeds btw! they're quite toxic for dogs :)

this was actually the first time we get a dog and actually get to keep him! he's been with us for about 8 months now, and we still learn new things about dogs. we didn't fully study their behaviors and needs (we did but only the basic stuff) because when we got him we had in mind that it would be temporary (3 days) but then we decided to keep him!
I don't know if you haven't noticed but I'm actually more of a cat person and we had many cats before, they act differently and none of them were attracted to sweets like this ******* haha :p

Last edited:
yeah cat's are such picky eaters mine barely even seem to recognise most cat foods as food. they'd rather go out and catch something! cats are carnivores so any non-meat upsets their stomach. congrats on getting a dog, they can be really challenging (ESPECIALLY puppies... bleh... puppies...) for new owners or anyone really because they're so smart and needy. it's really hard to get new pets because you never know what's normal behaviour and what's not. I've had rats for over a year now and I'm still always asking other owners like, "Does your rat do this? is this normal??!" It can be stressful but just remember that dogs are super duper common pets to have so they must be pretty manageable... plus, if he's still a puppy then you just have to hang in there... ack i hate puppies... they're cute but not to live with... no one ever mentions how much of a pain in the butt they are ... but they grow out of it easily :

Last edited:
yeah cat's are such picky eaters mine barely even seem to recognise most cat foods as food. they'd rather go out and catch something! cats are carnivores so any non-meat upsets their stomach. congrats on getting a dog, they can be really challenging (ESPECIALLY puppies... bleh... puppies...) for new owners or anyone really because they're so smart and needy. it's really hard to get new pets because you never know what's normal behaviour and what's not. I've had rats for over a year now and I'm still always asking other owners like, "Does your rat do this? is this normal??!" It can be stressful but just remember that dogs are super duper common pets to have so they must be pretty manageable... plus, if he's still a puppy then you just have to hang in there... ack i hate puppies... they're cute but not to live with... no one ever mentions how much of a pain in the butt they are ... but they grow out of it easily :

lol he IS a pain in the butt but we love him XD
he's my sister's dog anyway but we live in the same house so~
about cats, believe it or not I heard that cats aren't really fully domesticated!! that's why they prefer to catch birds/mice whenever they get the chance! they are also kind of independent and would work more as better pets for such a lazy ass person like me haha! they like to go out from time to time but you don't really "walk" them like dogs and our puppy NEEDS that everyday. btw neither dogs nor cats like dry food which explains why they only eat that when there's nothing else available.
about rats....you mean a RAT or a mouse?? I heard mice work as pets but rats are large and scary as hell lol but I believe both rats and mice eat pretty much everything because they are those kind of animals that exist to eat trash and leftovers? X3

Last edited:
Yeah I heard that cats domesticated themselves by adapting to fit round humans (because rodents were attratced to our homes and farms and things and the cats wanted to live there) so I guess that explains why they're so independent too!! I love cats, I'm not a fan of needy pets haha. I like how they're just so chill.
Yup, rats! Rats and mice can be pets but rats are less skittish and smell less. I have 6! They're extremely friendly and love to be handled! Rats can seem creepy but they're actually very friendly and gentle towards humans (it's very rare to be bitten!) and they're smart too. Mine know a few tricks! Yep, rats eat EVERYTHING! If I'm eating in my room suddenly I have 3 rats on my laps tryna' pull the food out my hands. Greedy lil bugs! Haha. they're a lot like very small dogs.

you're like the only person I've known who actually owns rats!! yikes these things creep me out if I ever saw one I might die of a heart attack haha but that makes you special a I guess? :p
I've seen people who own mice and hedgehogs and ferrets!! mice scare me but less than rats, and I LOVE hedgehogs! I really wanted to buy one but they are nocturnal and bite and hiss a lot plus I heard they are endangered?? ferrets look very cute but they are like kids with adhd they would run and jump everywhere plus they like to hoard everything especially shiny things they drag it and hide in tiny places if you ever considered one be prepared to get all your favorite stuff missing. :p
now I guess you motivated me to watch videos with people who have pet rats, it's something completely new to me :p

Last edited:
Haha well at first everyone else was shocked by the idea of pet rats, but then they met mine and now an awful lot of them want their own (some even did get their own rats!). I think they sound scarier than they are. I love ferrets!! But I'm too lazy to ever have one, so I just watch videos of them instead :'( . Hedgehogs are cute too but not very friendly. Rats hoard things too, they like to try and drag my hands and hair and clothes into their nest a lot. i have to keep everything in sealed containers or i'll never see it again!
there are a lot of cute videos! they're very endearing pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back