• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Raffle Prefix? (Discussion) Giveaways that cost money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirito

Sword of the Morning
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pink Hybrid Rose
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Winter Mittens
Lobo
Mint
Feedback
100% (146) +
Lately I have seen a lot of "giveaways" that are actually raffles that cost in game or forum bells to enter. These aren't really giveaways in my opinion, but more of a lottery type shop. Since these essentially are not giveaways, shouldn't there be a different tab for these users to post under as to be not misleading such as: "raffle", "drawing", or "lottery"?

I have seen this too, but it is most like a giveaway, and not selling or buying, so I guess they just put giveaway instead of other titles.

Yes, I have seen these, but unfortunately there are no 'official' tags to a raffle/lottery type threads, so the [Giveaway] tag would be the best option. However the users who do host giveaways often let you enter the giveaway for free anyways, and offer the option of 'paying for more entries' as an alternative way to get more entries. So technically you can still enter for free and not have to pay for those kind of giveaways.

I have seen this too, but it is most like a giveaway, and not selling or buying, so I guess they just put giveaway instead of other titles.

Well, technically they are selling raffle tickets, and giving only one free as a promotion type of deal. It is more of a money gathering method just like selling signatures/art work. Their focus is obviously not giving away things. If they are going to sell raffles, and make the selling of raffles their focus, they should at least put their thread under the shop tab, instead of deceiving people. Or the staff could create a new tab like "contest" or something.

Last edited:
If a person is allowing at least one free entry, then I consider it a giveaway where you can pay for a better chance to win. If you have to pay for the first entry, then it is a sale because nothing is being given away for free. I don't think it is a big deal, but if it is a raffle, then the person doing it should mention that in the title.

Yeah, maybe a clarity in tagging needs to be created or something. I have seen things, in the past, where like NOBODY wins the raffle or lottery or whatever, which does beg the question of whether that's an okay thing around here. But maybe someone will look into it now that you've created this thread.

Yeah, maybe a clarity in tagging needs to be created or something. I have seen things, in the past, where like NOBODY wins the raffle or lottery or whatever, which does beg the question of whether that's an okay thing around here. But maybe someone will look into it now that you've created this thread.

If nobody is winning, you should really report it. That sounds like a major scam.

i would love to see an official raffle tag, im taken aback sometimes when i see a "giveaway" is just a raffle/lottery

If nobody is winning, you should really report it. That sounds like a major scam.

Sometimes there are lotteries where people pick numbers and only win when their number's match those picked by a random number generator, so it's possible to have no winners. They could be intentionally rigged so that no one wins or it could just be that the RNG isn't very kind to the people who enter, but it isn't really possible to prove it either way.

Moving this thread to the Museum Shop for discussion.

Would you guys like to see a Raffle prefix added? Or something similar, if so what? I have already added a Contest prefix recently with the introduction of the board; does that fill the same purpose as Raffle would?

Moving this thread to the Museum Shop for discussion.

Would you guys like to see a Raffle prefix added? Or something similar, if so what? I have already added a Contest prefix recently with the introduction of the board; does that fill the same purpose as Raffle would?

I don't see the contest prefix whenever I go to post a thread on Re-Tail (many raffle type threads show up on re-tail and tbt marketplace) Is this prefix somewhere else? If so could it be added to re-tail and TBT marketplace so raffles could be made under that prefix? Also an announcement or something should be made to move raffles to contest if that is the solution.

EDIT: I see the prefix on TBT marketplace

Last edited:
I think a raffle prefix would be quite good-it makes sure people know instead of just posting and not reading the rules of the "giveaway"

Yes. I barely use these boards, but when I do because I am interstate in something, it's irritating clicking a giveaway thread but learning you have to "pay" in order to get anything, and then you're not even guarantee. I think a [Raffle] prefix would be good.

I think if it's for Museum shop, the prefix raffle would be nice to have. Especially since there has been events in the past that required people to buy tickets, it's not exactly a giveaway if there's a price to pay. Would have to agree with Jake., many times I've clicked in and reaction: ok nvm. Although there would be a lot of prefixes, at this helps members to get really specific (what can go wrong?? lol).

I think a raffle prefix would be useful for Re-Tail, and probably the Museum Shop & TBT Marketplace too. I only specify Re-Tail because that's where I see a lot of raffles, and where I was actually planning to host my own raffle (as soon as I finish collecting the items for it).

I feel like the contest prefix fits it, as a raffle is essentially a contest whose winners are chosen randomly. So I feel like that fits the bill.

I feel like the contest prefix fits it, as a raffle is essentially a contest whose winners are chosen randomly. So I feel like that fits the bill.

A shop is a place where people are selling items. So, a shop prefix isn't needed. That's kinda what you're saying

Well, technically they are selling raffle tickets, and giving only one free as a promotion type of deal

Maybe because having a chance to win that stuff is so cheap, they're practically giving it away? I know that's dumb, but half the time they don't make as much through doing that to even out for the stuff they're giving away. People who do giveaways are mostly losing more than they gain. This just helps to soften the loss :lemon:

I like the raffle idea because it is annoying to learn you have to pay to enter the "giveaway."

I had no idea people were making giveaways that cost to enter in
or raffles that cost for more entries.. xD

I kind of just did my own thing and made free for all and a number post so the more
you post, the more likely you are to win.

Giveaway I associate with people giving things away for free, raffles, I associate
with doing a task for a valid entry, for example, do 20 push ups and you have a spot! //thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back