• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Bowie's Art Thread V2 ★ Digital Paintings, GFX, 3D Renders, Tutorials

Bowie

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Gold Trophy (First Place)
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
New banner coming soon!

My latest work can be found on the latest page!

Hello and welcome to my art thread! Version 2, to be more specific, though nothing much has honestly changed since the last version. Anyway, this thread serves as a kind of digital journal as I learn how to use software such as Blender and Photoshop, learn how to 3D model, digitally paint, create GFX, animate, and pretty much everything in between!

Update April 2017: Due to personal stuff and attempts to establish myself elsewhere online, I will not be posting any finished works here. If you'd like to see my finished work, please contact me privately.

Do you take commissions?

Yes, but I only accept real-world currency. That means no TBT Bells or in-game stuff. I can make exceptions sometimes, but this is the most typical case.

Will you make me an avatar, a signature, or a banner?

Yes! As a matter of fact, I have a GFX shop here just for that!

Could you help me improve my art?

Depends what kind of help you need. I can't help you learn to be an artist, but I can help you learn software like Blender or Photoshop.

How can I commission something?

If you contact me privately and tell me exactly what you would like, we can discuss it.

Last edited:
Have you learned three-point lighting? If not, I would look into it. Key light, fill light, and rim light. It'll help make your renders pop.

Have you learned three-point lighting? If not, I would look into it. Key light, fill light, and rim light. It'll help make your renders pop.

I'm not too familiar with that technique, but I just looked it up and it seems pretty simple. Lighting is definitely something that I need to work on.

8wxgk2.png

All right, I've experimented with lighting this time. The sky is still a little too dark, I think, but I think it's better than my last render. What do you lot think?

Very nice~

Thank you!

97tg7q.jpg

Last one for today, I think. Ripped from Mario Kart 8, this is the Toad Harbour track. Everything is graphically awful in comparison to how it appears in the game, so I'm not entirely sure why I gave this one a shot, but I suppose it gave me an opportunity to work with environments. As you may be able to tell, the sky is one thing that didn't come from Mario Kart 8.

Last edited:
1jm1ir.jpg

Well, my first attempt at rigging went well. As you can clearly see, Princess Peach's pose looks almost identical to that of official Nintendo promotional artwork. I am so proud of how far I've come.

2u6016v.jpg

Princess Peach is going through a bit of a hard time right now and I'd appreciate it if you prayed for her.

2d7yctc.jpg

This is the best result I've had so far.

2ymg02e.jpg

Well, this didn't work out exactly how I thought it would.

I can either manually select which parts of the mesh are manipulated by a selected bone, or I can weight paint it, which I actually find easier to do. For some reason, however, when I've done it, the mesh just deforms as it follows the bone. I'm gonna have to do a little more research on the process of weight painting, I think.

Last edited:
Back