• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon What changes would you make to an existing Pokémon?

Bosca

Jammy
Bells
Switch
5126-0618-9799
The Bell Tree Fair 2016 Patch
Yellow Feather
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
Blue Feather
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Just a fun thread to talk about things you would change in Pok?mon, it can be anything design wise, move set, stats or ability wise. If there is a thread like this that I miss, sorry.

I would first off give Meganium an actual useful ability, poor thing is forgotten in the competitive scene and seen as the worst starter, I would imagine harvest would be a great ability for it, bulky and doesn't have amazing fire power to be too much to handle. It would become annoying to take down, but he deserves that at this stage.

I would give Rapidash a boost in speed, I mean its whole point is its speed..and when you got a cute fat cat like Purugly out-speeding you..something is wrong. A physical Jolteon is how I feel Rapidash should have been. I mean it is kind of, but not as much as it should be imo.

How on earth does Aurorus not get Power Gem? It has literal gems on its body..and it would be a much better STAB than Ancient Power. That is something I really hope they fix next game.

Design wise, I would fix Mega Slowbro. Slowbro is one of my fave mons, so I just cringe at his mega..I would still allow the shell to overtake the body, but more like armour, similar to Chestnaught. So his legs are still visible and he looks more free to be mighty mon he is. :p

Anything you guys would love to change? Can be realistic or just go crazy!

Oh, man...where do I start?

I don't think many of my changes are for specific pokemon, but I'd give electric-types a boost to their defensive stats (not many electric types have good defense stats).

I'd also change some of the moves a 'mon can learn upon level-up based on its stats. For instance, it drives me crazy when a pokemon has a much higher attack stat than special attack, and only learns one or two physical attack moves. That, or the situation vice-versa (a pokemon has a high special attack, but only learns one or two special moves and the rest are physical).
I'd change it so that they learn moves which benefit from the boost of having a higher attack/sp.attack.

Also, a better movepool for some pokemon. Mons like Ponyta have gawd-awful movepools unless they have egg moves, and even then, it's a long haul (particularly since Ponyta doesn't evolve until, what, level 40?).
Now, this sorta stuff is often balanced out by aforementioned egg moves and ORAS move tutors, but the latter can't be accessed until the end of the Delta Episode!

If we're talking about an ability, I think archen/archeops has probably one of the worst abilities in the entire game. That thing has the potential to be really awesome, but the Defeatist ability? Get that shnit out of my sight! I'd settle for something like Big Pecks or Tangled Feet (I'd prefer Keen Eye)...anything except for what has to be the worst/most useless ability in the game!

Since we're on pokemon-specific changes...I'd like to see Armaldo lose its weakness to rock. I know it's part bug-type, but it has enough weaknesses already...and it is part rock type. That pokemon is an underrated beast, but it's crippled by its many weaknesses.

I'd also change Scyther's typing to just pure bug type. Frankly, if the pokemon can't learn HM02 (Fly), it shouldn't have a "flying" type label. Scyther is another beast of a pokemon, but is also limited by multiple weaknesses.

Oh...and I'd also change the evolution level of some pokemon. Vullaby is not a psuedo-legend, so why the frack does it evolve at level 54!? Same deal with Rufflet...it's like they're purposely making it difficult; Especially in a game like ORAS, where the E4 ranges from level 50-55, and the Champ is at 57-59.
Wanna take in a pokemon like Vullaby, Rufflet, or Larvesta? You'd have to be overleveled for the E4 just to see their final evolutions. I'd bump down Vullaby and Rufflet to evolving at around 30 (sounds about fair), and Larvesta to around 40 (as Vulcarona IS powerful).

IMO, the only pokemon who shouldn't evolve to their final form until past level 45 are pseudo-legendaries (ubers) and dragon types (as much as I love dragon types, they're often extremely powerful and need that long leveling process despite it being balanced by them being typically extremely weak in their first stage).

Last edited:
I would give:
- farfetch'd an evolution
- raichu a mega evolution
- luvdisk evolve into alomomola
- more purpose for unown
- girafarig a mega evolution
- mew a mega evolution

Yeah I find it so odd the level it takes for some Pok?mon to evolve and it's really weird that a lot of Gen 5 mons have to go over level 50, this hasn't really carried over to Gen 6 thankfully. And yeah movepool plays a big part in how good a mon is..it's so annoying how Poliwrath doesn't have drain punch..he's perfect for it.

As for ability, it's definitely between Defeatist, Slow Start and Truant. Archeops is such a scary mon before you get that health down, he'd easily be high UU tier if he had anything you said, it's frail enough and has lots of common weaknesses, gets hurt badly by Stealth rocks to not be broken..I'm torn on what to think for Slaking, his stats are ridiculous, but he has a very exploitable special defence, plus with megas running around and the general power creep from gen 5, I don't think he'd be too ridiculous..I mean Charizard Y is a thing lol. Pity such awesome designs get held back by odd abilities.

I definitely agree more should be done with Unknown, it doesn't have to be great at battles, but it was such an interesting mon with the 3rd movie and then the intro with Suicune..there's potential there for it to have a Remoraid effect or something.

If those wacky leveling requirements carried to Gen 6, I would have rioted. XD
Still, I do wonder how people were able to figure out how to evolve their Inkay without a guide. How many people play with their 3ds upside down? -_- It's certainly unique, and I prefer it over trade evolutions (especially the Karrablast/Shelmet swap evolution), but it just makes me wonder.

I've never really used Slaking (the one time I managed to get a Slakoth in a nuzlocke, it didn't last long enough to evolve to Vigoroth), but the Truant ability was annoying, for sure. It's also not viable in competitive play unless it's used during switches or creatively, because opponents can set up all over you during the turns they do nothing. I still think Defeatist is the worst ability out of the three, however. Archen/Archeops is the only pokemon which gets it, and having both attack and sp.attack halved when the user's HP is less than or equal to half is really cruddy.
Though, I would put Slow Start in second, there. It's actually probably worse than Defeatist, but since I never use any variant of legendary pokemon in either gameplay or online battling, I don't have much opinion on that (though I will agree that it's also a really bad ability).

I'd love to see a mega evolution for Raichu! That was one of the mons I was hoping would get a mega evolution in ORAS, but I was disappointed. I'd love to see it get a boost to its defenses (or at least to special defense, as many mons have one over the other) and speed in mega form, as well as perhaps being a physical attacker. When I experimented around with using Raichu, I found that a physical moveset did the best job of things.

Also agree with Girafarig getting a mega. That pokemon saved my second Platinum nuzlocke. Its stats aren't anything to boast about, however, which is why it remains in the PU tier.

If I were to change aspects of already existing Pok?mon I would:

Change Dewott/Samurott from pure Water-type to Water/Fighting-type (Seriously, why weren't they the fighting type starter of fifth gen?) I would as make Pignite/Emboar Fire/Ground-type for the sake of originality and Servine/Seperior Grass/Dragon-type, due to it's dragon-like appearance.

I would probably also change the shiny palette of some of the early gen Pokemon. Examples include changing Garchomp's shiny form to Red and Orange (or pink, to go with it's mega shiny color scheme.) and Pikachu to an orange color, so it would resemble Raichu.

Oh wow Fire/Ground would be and awesome typing, it suits Emboar fam perfectly too and Yeah I don't know why they made Samurott pure water, such an awesome design made very boring gameplay wise.

Luvdisk an evo or some evos
Girafarig a mega evo
Farfetch'd a mega evo or some evos
Whimsicott and Lilligant a mega evo
Dunsparce a mega evo or some evos
And lastly, oh, lastly, and most certainly:

GIVE UNOWN SOME FREAKING PURPOSE OTHER THAN ALPHABET SOUP, DAGGONIT!

I would change Glaceon's shiny to be something more noticeable, like maybe purple or white.

I'd personally make a few alterations to Meganium, such as giving it a Mega to emphasise its Defense and Special Defense stats and improving its role as a wall. Maybe I'd give it access to Toxic Spikes or Spikes as an Egg Move or a Move Tutor move so that it can be effective at whittling down an opponent's HP with moves such as Toxic and Leech Seed.

Also, I'd give Milotic access to Calm Mind.

I could theorymon for ages, but Cresselia should be fairy/psychic considering it gets moonblast and Magneton should get levitate. given its quad ground weakness. Prankster Gengar, Gale wings Staraptor, Guts Krookodile, give Florges an ability that's actually useful.

Also to anyone who says Florges should be fairy/grass I disagree because then Florges would be complete ****.

Also to anyone who says Florges should be fairy/grass I disagree because then Florges would be complete ****.

Why? They're flowers, which would make them a grass type, and it makes one of the more common types in tge game (fire) neutral, at tge cost if a quad weakness (and pousin isn't that common)

Why? They're flowers, which would make them a grass type, and it makes one of the more common types in tge game (fire) neutral, at tge cost if a quad weakness (and pousin isn't that common)

It no longer walls Infernape, Hydreigon, Megatoise, Mega Pidge, Chandelure (barring it isn't specs/submind), Shaymin, Yanmega, or Megadoom.

It only gains ground resistance and electric, and electric resistance barely matters considering it can handle almost every special attacking electric type and physical attacking electric types are irrelevant, and it gains 4 weaknesses , 3 of which are are pretty common. If it gained grass typing it would be easily outclassed by Aromatisse as a wishpasser/cleric.

Last edited:
I'd personally make a few alterations to Meganium, such as giving it a Mega to emphasise its Defense and Special Defense stats and improving its role as a wall. Maybe I'd give it access to Toxic Spikes or Spikes as an Egg Move or a Move Tutor move so that it can be effective at whittling down an opponent's HP with moves such as Toxic and Leech Seed.

Also, I'd give Milotic access to Calm Mind.

Agreed on Meganium. I'd love to use it, but its movepool is so crappy that it can't even really be a solid wall. I am determined to find a way to actually use it, but a better movepool would be great. Right now, a lot of its (egg) moves designate it as a cleric.

Can't really agree on Calm Mind Milotic, though...granted, Mesprit can learn Calm Mind and has a higher base Sp.Atk, so maybe it's not too OP. Then again, it's not really needed; I think a Mirror Coat set works superbly for Milotic, and one can always use a Shell Smash/Baton Pass combo (with White Herb), or Nasty Plot/Baton Pass combo, to get it on the field ready to dish out a world of hurt.

Last edited:
I don't think Calm mind Milotic would be OP tbh, it actually would be awesome and I'm surprised it's not a real thing. I mean look at Sylveon, Suicune and Florges. Tho it probably would just lead to people using her as another crocune style set.

give skarmory a earlier and later evolution and make him steel/dragon in his final evolution

mine is just personal opinions and stuff, and nothing about stats bcos idc about competitive battling. and I really don't expect any of these to happen so no need to tell me it's not gonna happen coz i already know!!!!

Megas:
- Mega Charizard X/Y shouldn't exist. It should have received one mega evolution like every other Kanto starter.
- Johto starters should've gotten mega's in ORAS
- Mega Alakazam should've gotten 100+ stat boost and not 90+ (this is the only stat thing in here ok!!!)
- Mega Gyarados should be Water/Dragon
- Mega's like Tyranitar and Abomasnow should've gained different abilities instead of keeping their regular ones (Abomasnow especially)
- Mega Rayquaza should need to hold a Mega Stone
- Mega Diancie shouldn't have been a thing so early
- Gen 5 needs more Mega's (inevitable tho)
- Leaving out Pokemon I think should have Mega's since they have said they plan on giving all Pokemon a Mega Evolution - but the two I want most are Mega Snorlax and Mega Togekiss

Evolutions:
- Lickitung should have a pre-evolution
-Farfetch'd should've been redesigned to be a pre-evolution for Doduo and then remade into its own Pokemon in Gen 2
- Jynx should have an evolution
- Lapras should have a pre-evolution
- Girafarig should be pure Psychic
- There should've been a pre-evolution link for Torus and Miltank ages ago
- Throh/Swak should have a pre-evolution link like Tyrogue
- Dunsparce should get an evolution

Typing:
- Happiny line should be Normal/Fairy
- Arbok should be Poison/Dark
- Psyduck line should be Water/Psychic
- The Caterpie/Metapod/Venomoth and Venonat/Butterfree evolution rumor should have been implemented in Gen 1
- Oddish shold be pure grass and then evolve into Grass/Poison
- Paras line should be pure Bug
- Noctowl should be Psychic/Flying
- Stantler should be Normal/Psychic
- Masqurain shoudl've stayed Bug/Water like Surskit
- Skitty line should be Normal/Fairy
- Grumpig should've been Dark/Psychic
- Primal Kyogre should be Ice/Water
- Monferno should be pure Fire
- Luxray should be Dark/Electric
- Mr. Mime line should have remained Psychic type
- Mantyke should be pure water
- Lumineon should be Water/Psychic
- Cresellia should be Fairy/Psychic
- Darkrai should've been Dark/Ghost
- Woobat should be Normal/Flying
- Petilil line should've gained Fairy as Cottonee line did
- Gothita line should be Dark/Psychic
- Deerling line should just be pure Grass
- Litleo line should be pure Fire coz Ponyta line is pure Fire and not Normal/Fire so...
- Same as above, Helioptile line should be pure Electric coz Pachirisu isn't Normal/Electric
- I would have liked to see the Goomy line be Poison/Dragon but idk if it's something I want

Attacks:
- Why is Barrage Exeggcute's signature move?
- Sacred Fire should've stayed HO-Oh's signature move
- Spiky Shield should've stayed Chestnaught's signature move
- Mystical Fire should've stayed Delphox's signature move
- Water Shuriken should've stayed Greninja's signature move
- There are like 53243242 attacks I think certain Pokemon should be able to learn but I cbf listing them

Other:
- Ghosts type should be immune to Ground attacks
- Female Wobbuffet shouldn't have lipstick
-Gen 5 should've had links to other generations; such as Buffalant/Tauras, Luvdisc/Alamomola, Carnivine/Maractus, Stantler/Sawsbuck evolutions etc.
- Phione shouldn't be considered a legendary Pokemon
- Fairy should have another weakness (maybe Ice or Ghost)
- Dunsparce should be more useful
- Shelmet and Accelgor should come directly after Karrablast and Escavalier in the Pokedex and not 26 places after
- Castform should have a sandstorm forme and should change to pure Fire/Water/Ice(/Ground or Rock for Sandstorm forme) when it's respective forme
- Petilil line should be male/female and not exclusively female
- Heatran and Cresellia (and any other gendered Legendary Pokemon) should be genderless
- Regigigas shouldn't be so ****
- Gen 5 didn't need three legendary trios, and then make one a quad
- Shaymin Sky Forme shouldn't exist

Probably forgot some so I'll come back if I ever remember them.

Last edited:
Back