• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

amiibo Festival Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival Discussion

I cna see it being free to play and still be bundled. Like you can get it in a bundle with the amiibo and the cards but it will just cost the price of the amiibo and the cards, so for people who like physical games can still get it physical.

This is a title I would be interested in if it didn't require amiibos to play. I'm very much an all-or-nothing person, so I've avoided buying amiibos since I don't have the money/space for them all & if I only bought a few it would bother me that I didn't have a complete collection.

I'm already put off by that aspect. To me, it's like selling a board game where you have to buy the essential pieces separately. That & the way they announced it. Seriously Nintendo, you knew how much hype there was for an AC Wii U, if you're going to make a second spinoff, don't make it seem like something it's not.

The way I look at the Wii U recently, and the direction it's going, is that soon amiibos will be required for any game the Wii U plays (that, or cards like that Happy Home spin-off).
As far as I know (I could be wrong on this), the Wii U is the only game system which uses amiibos to enhance the gameplay experience; in order to unlock certain things and characters, rather than do it in-game, an amiibo is needed for select Wii U games (such as SSB and Amiibo Festival).

I'm really not surprised that it requires amiibos to play; Nintendo got a lot of money off of SSB for the Wii U and all the amiibos they made for that. They certainly wouldn't stop doing something which works (especially if it's getting them more money).

Since the Wii U wasn't (and most likely still isn't) as popular as the 3ds, Nintendo had to do something to save the dying platform (and there was one point in time when everyone was sure that the Wii U was going to die out completely); so, Nintendo introduced amiibos.

Am I surprised that all fans got were these spin-off games considering what sort of console the Wii U is?
No.

However, I'm sure that, when the game is released, parents will be buying it for their kids..and diehard fans of the franchise will at least buy the amiibos (as some people in this thread even said they would).

As for the debate over it being "free to play"...even if it can be downloaded for free, it's not really "free to play" if you need to buy amiibos to actually play it. Like LaBelleFleur said, it's like they're giving the game without the pieces; so in that thought, it's not really free at all since the software is useless/unplayable without the amiibos.

I totally agree with you. Doesn't mean I like it. :p

It just makes me kind of sad. When MK8, SSB Wii U & Splatoon came out, I honestly thought for a minute that the Wii U was finally picking up the slack and generating some memorable main-franchise titles. After this E3, the only things I'm looking forward to for the Wii U are Yoshi's Wooly World & the elusive Zelda Wii U. After that, it's most likely onto the NX for Nintendo, which means my Wii U becomes a paperweight.

Using amiibo to generate revenue makes total sense, and I applaud them for making an underselling console worth something. I just wish they could've done it with their game library instead.

/end salty Wii U rant

I very much doubt it will be free-to-play as well. I just can't imagine it being less than a full-priced game, since it seems to have a fair amount of content (depending on how many other game modes there are). I think it will be full-price on it's own and slightly discounted if you buy it in the amiibo pack.

I don't know why people are comparing this game to Mario party. It looks event based and doesn't appear to have mini games or a specific goal to reach other then collecting bells.

More like say hello to spending about $500 for all 8 thanks to the scalper issue that Nintendo still hasn't fixed! Even Splatoon amiibo are being scalped, and those are no where close to being as popular as the Smash ones! This, and the random card packs are going to make many Animal Crossing fans pretty mad this holiday season!

Probably the best reason to buy Amiibo yet. Plus, the figures are adorable so even without the game I'd buy them.

I'll take 12 Isabelle amiibos(OK, I'll only buy one, but I am getting one. Probably gonna have to pre-order her though.)

edit: Might buy the game as well. We'll see.(Probably not)

Last edited:
I am disappointed with this one. I dont think i will get it. Not very compelling, especially in light of the other releases. I swear, i had no interest in the wii until animal crossing city folk came out. And no interest in the 3ds until acnl came out. I literally BUY game systems for animal crossings. Not this time. (unless everyone on this forum starts buzzing how awesome it is, but doesnt look like it so far.)

Back