• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Can you name every state?

Eldin

hmm
Bells
Switch
4949-4649-1278
Pikachu Easter Egg
Green Fair Pinwheel
No, I'm not asking you to do it here. Please don't actually list them, you smarty-pantses out there.

But I'm not American and I'm genuinely curious as to if most Americans can manage to remember them all. And people from other countries as well! I'm Canadian and I surely could not, sorry to say. I mean, the names are all recognizable to me, but if you asked me to make a list it would be a bit lacking.

It surprised me, but I met some Canadians abroad that couldn't name every province, which made me wonder, if we can't manage to remember thirteen of them (yes, I'm counting territories, you should know those too), then I wonder how Americans manage to remember fifty.

I bet there's a song. Is there a song? That would help me probably, that's how we learned provinces as kids. I still remember it and I happily sung it to those poor guys that couldn't remember little P.E.I.

Oh hell yeah, all states and their capitals. It was a requirement in school to know and be able to recite them. I always liked this song:

No chance. I probably couldn't even name half. I'm not an American though (I'm British).

I can name the seven dwarfs. That's pretty close to all the American states I guess.

Wait, no, I can only name 5 of them. I counted sleepy 3 times.

But still.

No, wait, make that 4. I think I got one of them mixed up with a Smurf.

Last edited:
Oh hell yeah, all states and their capitals. It was a requirement in school to know and be able to recite them. I always liked this song:

We had to memorize that song in fourth grade. Then we had to place them all on a blank map.

No chance. I probably couldn't even name half. I'm not an American though (I'm British).

This.. is Swedish and while I probably can remember a good part of them I would probably fail a test if I would name them off mind lol.

- - - Post Merge - - -

We had to memorize that song in fourth grade. Then we had to place them all on a blank map.

I'm glad I went to school in Sweden lol.

I know all the states but not the capitals. Wasn't required to learn them, I just know them.

I know all the states

and countries in europe
and africa
and asia
and south/central america

and if you give me a blank map I'd be happy to label it

All states, all provinces of Canada, and nothing of Mexico except the Yucatan peninsula.
We learned a song but I have no idea what it is called, haha.

Ohmygosh yes, all the capitals and each president too.
In my school if you didn't burn them into your brain you'd basically fail American History... It was awful. >.<

states & capitals it was required in fourth grade and i still remember 6 years later so i think most people could

I feel bad for not being to name all 50. I knew all of them at one point in middle school, but now some have slipped my mind.

Yeah but I never learnt the song

I was forced to memorise all the capitals too lol I forgot like more than half of them though

If I had a blank map, then I could in no time. However, just trying to name all 50 from my head would take a while.

They made us be able to write the states and their capitals on a blank map in fifth grade (it was our final test in social studies lol), and while I might mix a couple of them up (mainly the western ones that are all squares), I can definitely name all the states. We listened to a bunch of songs on this videotape that our teacher had (the songs would go by region), but the only one I can remember is the southern states song because our teacher got really into it and used this awful accent when they said Austin, Texas.

Yes, I can name them all in Alphabetical order.
For some reason, people are always impressed by that.

Back