Scariest thing to ever happen to you?

MacrobianMoose

Meme Master
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Could be a story about anything from a "ghost" or a friend jumping out and yelling at you in the dark.

I have a slightly stupid one. My cat really liked to sit on a certain box in the house, he'd go straight to that box whenever he wanted to take a nap. A few nights after he died (on that box) I started hearing a scratching noise. It terrified the bejeezuz out of me so I started to track down the noise. Now strangely enough, I found it to be coming from the box. But nothing was scratching it! It sounded like it came from the inside, so I opened it and didn't find a single rodent. This happened every night until I shoved the box into the basement where I wouldn't be able to hear it. I wasn't going crazy either, a few friends heard it too.

tl;dr I'm not saying cat ghosts... but cat ghosts.

I'm sure I've probably had worse things happen that I can't remember right now, but this one sticks out to me.
I was probably 7 or 8, and was swimming in the pool with some friends after lessons. We had built this giant floating fortress out of pool floaties, and I had to go underneath it for some reason (I think part of it was sliding off or something). Because this thing was still floating around when I was underneath it, I couldn't figure out which way I had to go to surface, and I kept hitting the bottom of the floatie instead. I was probably under there for 30 seconds max, but I legitimately thought I was going to drown. Probably the most scared I've ever been.

Not really a ghost story, but I've never really been a believer in that sort of thing. :p

I've had a few scary 2spooky goings on which may or may not have been my imagination but the scariest thing that happened to me was completely an accident.

I volunteer as a photographer for a local mountain bike group and I basically get up early to get to my chosen point up the mountain/hill so that I can take photos as I slowly make my way down the hill towards oncoming cyclists.
The final cyclist past me so I packed away my camera and started down the hill when suddenly my ankle gave up on me and I collapsed on top of my legs with the most horrifying CRACK.

I didnt feel any pain but then, I didnt feel anything so I remember thinking "Oh. I'm just in shock. It's fine. I've broken my ankle. Alone up a hill. It's fine."

And then I started to panic and hyperventilate because the more worked up I got the more convinced I could hear noises all around me in the surrounding trees. Like monster noises which were probably actually bird and squirrel noises.

But a panicky brain can do that.

After around 15 mins of being convinced I was being watched I unfolded my legs and flexed all my joints just to see what the situation was. My ankle was sore but I felt I could put some weight on it. I found my self a big stick, y'know, just in case, and started making my way back down the rest of the hill to the medical tent. It took a long time and eventually I was met with paramedic on a dirtbike who had been sent to look for me.
To cut a long story short after being checked out at the hospital it was confirmed just to be a fracture. So I was lucky.

But the irrational thought of being left to die up a hill was petrifying. Rationally I now know mountain rescue would have came and found me if I HAD been unable to move. And that the noises I heard were animal and nature related. But still. Scary.

Okay serious time I think the scariest thing that happened to me was when I was little I woke up to my parents screaming and I was confused so much and then I looked down at my bed covers and they were covered in blood and then I saw our pet rabbit on my bed with it's head torn off​

Last edited:
scariest moment was about a year ago I was sailing with two other friends on the sea and we tacked, naturally I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, so we capsized the boat, where did I end up? worse place possible of course directly under the sail, I panicked and shouted for my friends, they swam round to me and helped me escape the sail, closest i have ever come to thinking I would drown :'(

The scariest thing? Welll..

I was babysitting my siblings while my mother was out and it was really late at night and all of the kids were sleeping, so I decided to go to bed as well. Right a midnight I hear someone bust down our door and I see flashlights. I got up and grabbed one of my hammers on my workbench and went out into the living room. Let's the say I scared the heck out of a cop. He told me he got a 911 call saying that someone was choking. Needless to say he stopped at the wrong house, but I was still scared out of my mind!

Last edited:
Hmmm...
I was about four or five, at the time, and I was staying at my mother's house. Her then boyfriend (now husband) at the time was there as well. They were asleep in their bedroom, with the door locked. My two brothers were asleep in their own bedroom, and I was asleep on a mattress in the living room. Their front door had a glass pane taking up about half of it. The standard front door. There was a curtain over it, of course. It's like midnight or one in the morning, and I'm hearing something outside. My heart is pounding, and I'm scared out of my mind. Then a silhouette appears behind the curtain of the front door. I didn't know that my mom had the door locked, mind you. So, next thing I know I'm screaming my head off trying to open the ****ing bedroom door. I accept my fate and start backing up against the wall...this is all I really remember...actually...
Turns out it was a friend of theirs that needed a place to sleep for the night...I don't remember seeing him the next day, either. So, I don't know...That's probably the scariest thing that I can remember.

When I was really young I went to the mountains very often with the scouts and we would go on hiking trails and I think this was around the end of elementary school, when they started letting us hike on our own. I decided to play around and send my friend to go look at something off the path and he got lost. We looked for him for like an hour and couldn't find him and he ended up getting lost in the mountain for 8 hours and we were really afraid he fell, but I found out later he intentionally got lost because he was mad for us making fun of him. Needless to say both parents involved were mad at those of us who pranked him even though he was the one who ended up messing with us.

Oh, and there was also a time when I got nearly hit by a truck going at high speeds, and that time I got sent into opposing traffic with my mom sitting in the passenger seat laughing at me.

I don't know if I can actually pick the scariest thing in my life. I can recall quite a few moments which were super scary for me.

I suppose number one would be my very first major panic attack in 7th grade. I had no idea what was going on, and thought I was going to die. Even after that, nobody actually properly explained to me what was happening, so for a while, I was terrified of the classroom it happened in, the school in general, and being alone.
Heck, each time I get a big panic attack is a super scary moment.

Other instances which could tie that would be:
-When the train I was on had to be evacuated because a passenger in another car was threatening to blow it up with a bomb. Turned out to be a bluff, but it was still a tense ride the rest of the way after they had the dogs sniff the train down. Looking back on it, since they had us stand on the platform as it was a small station, if there really had been a bomb, we wouldn't have been safe from shrapnel.

-The split second of rational thought I had between the time my car hit a patch of black ice and when I slammed into the start of a guardrail at 40mph (luckily, all I got were bumps and bruises...my car was totaled, however). I think that rational thought cut off at "Oh, sh----"; I didn't even have time to complete the thought before I hit the rail. Good thing I wasn't speeding!

-The time I was volunteering at the animal shelter and another volunteer and I got locked in the back room in the summer (someone closed the door, which self-locks, cause they didn't know we were in there). With the dogs barking so close by, nobody could hear us pound on the door; and though we got cellphone reception, nobody was picking up at the front desk (even one of the other volunteers who was still there I tried to call didn't pick up).
Before I was about to call 9-1-1, the other volunteer found another door which was thankfully unlocked behind a cabinet, so we managed to get out.

Last edited:
I was walking around campus during lunch hours with my friend..long story short, we walked into a football game without realizing due to the fact it was really crowded in general and the guys weren't even playing their game in the proper area. This guy tried catching a football that was flying towards me and ended up running me over on the cement. I passed out, but it wasn't even that long. I regained consciousnesses like ten minutes before lunch hours were over..but yeah I just had to deal with a couple of scratches along my cheeks and head, but I honestly thought I was going to die haha

The most scared I've ever been is when my old school went on lockdown once, which seems to happen a lot over here, but it really freaked me out that time. I was in my art class when the lockdown alarm started going off, so we all hid in the supply closet and shut off the lights so it was pitch black. That was enough to make me scared because I'm claustrophobic and being in such a tight area where I couldn't see anything kind of made me start to panic, and then I got even more scared when I thought I heard a banging noise coming from the hallway. Everyone was taking it very seriously and my teacher seemed nervous so I totally thought we were all in trouble. We were in there for awhile before the alarm stopped and they announced it was just a false alarm, but by the time we got out my heart was beating so fast and I was probably shaking a little.

The scariest thing? Welll..

I was babysitting my siblings while my mother was out and it was really late at night and all of the kids were sleeping, so I decided to go to bed as well. Right a midnight I hear someone bust down our door and I see flashlights. I got up and grabbed one of my hammers on my workbench and went out into the living room. Let's the say I scared the heck out of a cop. He told me he got a 911 call saying that someone was choking. Needless to say he stopped at the wrong house, but I was still scared out of my mind!
The scariest thing about it is if he went to the wrong house, what happened to the person choking... .-.

remember when we had to use dial up? man those were some scary dark times​

Nah, but then if you're on the internet, the phone can't be used...
So, if you're teacher/school was planning to call your house to ***** about you or something, all you had to do was be on the internet. Problem solved :D

I almost got hit by a car at college last semester. There was a crosswalk that I was walking through and it still had like 6 seconds left for me to walk and I was just a few feet from reaching the other side when a driver that was texting wasn't paying attention and started driving and was inches away from hitting me. Thankfully they saw me at the last second but I still wish people wouldn't text at the wheel, it's selfish af

Back