• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Getting a new 3DS!

Foxfire

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Yess, but i'm having some trouble on deciding which one. So please help me out! :c
Alright here are the options

A normal new 3DS - ?160
Cheapest option, can change those cover plates

New 3DS XL- ?180
A bit more expensive but has a bigger (better?) screen.
Can't change the cover plates though

New 3DS XL majora's mask edition -? 250
Lovely design. Comes with a game.
But all my money would be gone. x)

Forget about this option, the last one just sold out and i'm not going to wait six week

So what seems to be the best option for me?
I would love to hear some recommendations from people who own one of these.
I have no idea which is better. And I really don't want to regret it later on :c

Last edited:
Foxfire said:
Yess, but i'm having some trouble on deciding which one. So please help me out! :c
Alright here are the options

A normal new 3DS - €160
Cheapest option, can change those cover plates

New 3DS XL- €180
A bit more expensive but has a bigger (better?) screen.
Can't change the cover plates though

New 3DS XL majora's mask edition -€ 250
Lovely design. Comes with a game.
But all my money would be gone. x)

So what seems to be the best option for me?
I would love to hear some recommendations from people who own one of these.
I have no idea which is better. And I really don't want to regret it later on :c
I would honestly recommend the NEW Nintendo 3DS XL for two reasons.

1. The 3D on the NEW Nintendo 3DS consoles is absolutely amazing! I would normally turn off the 3D, but I found playing games like Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D with the 3D on was quite good.

2. It is the good middle option which leaves you some spare money, but you're basically still getting a NEW Nintendo 3DS XL.

These are my honest opinions, but at the end of the day, it is down to you.
I own a Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS and NEW Nintendo 3DS. So I have a decent idea of the consoles.

I am actually planning on saving up for a NEW Nintendo 3DS XL myself as it is my goal to collect all iterations of Nintendo consoles. lol

EDIT: The NEW Nintendo 3DS is the cheapest option for you, but then you get the Cover Plates are ?6.00 to ?13.00... So that would add extra cost whereas you would get a NEW Nintendo 3DS XL and no more expenditure.

Last edited:
Get the new 3ds xl.

Of you got the regular one, once you bought one or two cover plates you've spent more than if you were just to buy the XL so..

Thanks for your opinion guys! It surely is a hard decision.
I also really like the colours of the buttons from the normal new 3ds. Brings back some nostalgia.
But I also really care about better screens and such. :c

Also the majora's mask option is gone. They just sold the last ones and aren't getting any new ones anytime soon.

Get the new 3ds xl.

Of you got the regular one, once you bought one or two cover plates you've spent more than if you were just to buy the XL so..
We agree on something! This is a fine day for us today. XD

The thing about the cover plates is very true though.
There aren't any available I like at the moment though so i'd hold off buying one for a while. :'D

And congrats on agreeing you guys~ xD

I think you need to decide which one is better for your in terms or design, price and size. For example, I would have loved the Majora's Mask XL (if they hadn't of sold out so quickly XD), but it was too expensive for my taste. Do you like how each console looks? You do you want to get the cover plates? Also, does it feel more comfortable holding an XL or standard?

From my own personal experience, I like the ability to customize the New standard with the faceplates (and there are tutorials on making some of your own using transparent ones and printing off pictures online) even though you can get skins online for the XL's, but they peel and stuff after time. However, I also liked the size of the standard. The XL's are too big as much as I would like one, it just feels uncomfortable after holding it for a while. So the standard size was my best option.

But at the end of the day, it's your decision. We can only tell you are own opinions and experiences. Maybe try writing a pro's and con's list of the standard and XL then go from there?

The thing about the cover plates is very true though.
There aren't any available I like at the moment though so i'd hold off buying one for a while. :'D

And congrats on agreeing you guys~ xD
Normally I talk about amiibo and Jake. trolls me. I like having my own personal troll. lol

Thankyou Shadow Star! Making a list might actually be a pretty good idea ^^

Aww, I thought something magical was about to happen. :c
XD I thought so too...

These are the amiibo figures I have on preorder:

Jigglypuff
Greninja
Inkling Squid
Inkling Squid
Inkling Girl
Inkling Boy
Inkling Girl
Inkling Boy
Dark Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Ganondorf
Palutena
Dark Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Ganondorf
Palutena
Yarn Yoshi Green
Yarn Yoshi Light Blue
Yarn Yoshi Pink
Yarn Yoshi Green
Yarn Yoshi Light Blue
Yarn Yoshi Pink

These are the amiibo figures that I own:

Mario
Fox
Samus
Peach
Pikachu
Kirby
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Marth
Villager
Zelda
Link
Pit
Little Mac
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Rosalina
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link
Sheik
Bowser
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Shulk
Mario (Super Mario Collection)
Luigi (Super Mario Collection)
Yoshi (Super Mario Collection)
Peach (Super Mario Collection)
Toad (Super Mario Collection)
Bowser (Super Mario Collection)
Pac Man
Ness
Wario
Charizard
Lucina
Robin

These are the duplicate amiibo figures that I own.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Toad (Super Mario Collection)
Wario
Charizard

Last edited:
Wooow, that's an impressive list! ;o
I don't have any amiibos yet. I was planning on getting one or two though.
I need a lucario amiibo in my life.

Decided to go with the new 3ds xl. Got a metallic blue one and it's lovely! C:
Not sure how I feel about that c stick thingie yet though. xD

Decided to go with the new 3ds xl. Got a metallic blue one and it's lovely! C:
Not sure how I feel about that c stick thingie yet though. xD
Awesome! I am glad we users of the TBT could assist you.

Last edited:
Yeah thanks to everyone who helped c:
I'm glad I could make a decision :'D
While you were considering what console you wanted... I was able to score three new amiibo figures from Nintendo UK Store.

Bowser Jr.
Dr. Mario
Olimar

I had my order confirmed as within allocation by a Nintendo UK customer service rep too and so I can rest assured that the preorder went through their system successfully.

EDIT: That should be eventually 44/50 Super Smash Bros. Collection amiibo.

Last edited:
Back