• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What made you interested in Animal Crossing?

pika62221

Bells
Was your interest in it from the real world commerical parody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcQNFyJCun0

Did you first read about it in Nintendo Power before its release? The Crossing Guardian was nice in the days before sites like this to update you online.

For me, Nintendo kind of trojan horsed me. They put NES games into Animal Crossing. Let me go back. I was in my mid-20's in 2002 when Animal Crossing debuted, so I was already an adult by the time it came out in America. It looked stupid, cartoony, and something that I wouldn't like. Then, I find out it has NES games in it, and all you needed was a Game Boy Advance, the cable, an e-reader, and some e-cards. Okay, I had the e-reader and Advance, so I got the cable and e-cards, along with the game. Let's play some NES games! Huh, okay, Donkey Kong was in the game from the start. Okay, let's play some Donkey Kong! Now, I want more, guide time! Okay, to get more, I need to play this game. Let's play. Okay, I need to work a job, get some items back, done and done. Okay, now my house isn't paid for, so let's just keep going until I'm done with that. Okay, that's done. Huh, this game is kind of fun, no, can't be, it just looks too much like a little kid game, let's just find some more NES games, and be done playing this aspect of it! Oh, wait, that crunching sound he makes when walking in the snow, that's so adorable! Wait, I didn't just say that! Oh, look how fun it is to hit the animals over the head and see their irate reations! Hold on, this isn't supposed to be for anything other than NES games, what's going on? I paid off my house, and got the gold statue! OMG, I WANNA PLAY ANIMAL CROSSING MORE THAN THE NES GAMES IN IT!!! Nintendo, you totally trojan horsed me on Animal Crossing!! Here, I think I'm getting an NES emulator, but I ended up with one of my favorite GameCube games, and one of my favorite series of all time! Thirteen years later, and I'm STILL going back to my GC to play this game every so often, too bad I never completed the NES collection, it is what got me to buy this game afterall (I won't have them all either unless I use AR, so I'll pass, it's fun enough without them).

I played the gamecube version back in the day but it didnt really enthral me. It wasnt until new leaf came out that i decided to give it a try, because so many people were raving about it! I tried it, in the summer of 2013 and ive been playing almost everyday since! It is just so different than the gamecube one, and has so many cooler features it was hard not to get slightly addicted :p

Fang, to be honest... saw a AC commercial somewhere (?) and thought that's cute, I need to look into that (for my kids, hehe)

the game cube version sort of passed me by, I'm afraid

I got really in the game when playing WW

the CF version, well I played it a lot, but I found it hard to connect with "the rest of the world" and I hated having to water the flowers every single day (and let's face it, the "humans" looked like little hobbits)

where as NL, well, I'm simply addicted to it :) , although it's not a 100% yet (a lot could be improved still)

Last edited:
I watched my cousins play in the summer, while I was at their beach house.
I got very interested.
I got it the next day, and still remember this one thing.
*shudders* Pate.

I remember my brother's friend came over with his gamecube many years ago and he was playing it and it looked super cute and fun :) We didn't have a gamecube, so fast-forward to when the DS came out. My brother bought it but never played it at all. A year later, he gave it to me for my birthday, since he knew I would get more usage out of it. I ended up buying Animal Crossing: Wild World, and have been hooked since :) There was a summer when I was a teen right after we had moved and we didn't have internet so I religiously played every day haha. It was kind of sad though because nobody else I knew played it. I remember babysitting a little girl who had it but all she wanted to do was chase me around my town with an axe trying to kill me >.< It took forever for me to get Nookingtons! I remember hearing that New Leaf was coming out and I was SO excited, but, once again, didn't have money for a 3DS. Fast-foward to the summer of 2014- my bf got me a pretty pink DS and New Leaf for my birthday ^_^ Best birthday present ever! It took me a long time to get used to the 3DS though because it does SO much *_* I just found out how to watch youtube videos on it last week, eep! People assume that "my generation" knows all about smart phones and such but I honestly can't afford the luxuries of new technology so I'm a bit behind, to be honest. (Still don't have a smart phone :p) Anywho, I only recently REALLY got into playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf again after I found my 3DS hidden after I moved in December and once again, I'm addicted haha

For me, it was meeting my boyfriend.
I'd seen the odd advert for Wild World over here in the UK, and never thought anything of it as I wasn't really much of a Nintendo gamer until 5 years ago when I met him. He got me playing his copy of Wild World, and City Folk and that was it for me. We ended up borrowing the original version for the gamecube where I made my own town, and then purchased Wild World for myself as it wasn't enough playing in someone else's town.
I can still remember New Leaf being announced and literally stalking the internet for any sort of news or release details. When it was announced, I came across this forum, and boom. I'm now the self-confessed Nintendo geek who most people at my workplace come to for an opinion on any Nintendo stuff they've not played :)

I was talking with an old friend of mine and she brought up this game called Animal Crossing for the Gamecube. Telling me about different aspects of the game and how you can run through bushes. It sounded fantastic. I was 12 at the time and I asked my parents for it for Christmas. It was Christmas 2004. I got Animal Crossing and a Gamecube. I was hooked.

It took me a while to notice Wild World. I didn't get a copy along with a DS until Fall of 2006. Once again, I was hooked.

I reserved a copy of City Folk and picked it up the day it came out. I believe I also reserved New Leaf. Bought that one on the day of release. The Gamecube Crossing is probably my personal favorite primarily because of nostalgia & for the fact I has several features which never returned. However, New Leaf is by far the strongest. City Folk was the weakest. It was too much like Wild World. The city feature was too gimmicky.

I never heard about animal crossing until a couple of friends were talking about it back in junior high. At the time I thought it sounded really boring to play a game about collecting furniture, fish, etc. I think I bought new leaf because I was really bored with my 3ds and my girlfriend at the time kind of talked me into getting a copy to play with her. I didn't get super far in my first play through even though I really liked the game, I just didn't know how to make a lot of money and it kind of felt like a grind, so I followed suit after she stopped playing it. I come back to it a couple of years later and boom, there goes 200 hours of my life.

And I'm still going strong with it.

My IRL friend XD I asked her what it's about, and she said "paying off debt," which REALLY sent my mind in the wrong direction, because I didn't think a game about that would be fun at all. She told me about some of the things you do, and I didn't feel very interested, but even so, she insisted I look into it. Eventually, I did, and I thought it was adorable! (I tend to be a sucker for cute things OTL) I had my doubts at first because my older sister said it was "for little kids and it wasn't fun," but I don't regret at ALL pushing forward anyways! :3

I saw one of my cousins play Wild World a few years ago. I was very impressed so I got New Leaf a year ago and now my cousin is jealous because I have New Leaf and she doesn't. :p

Last edited:
I saw the TV advert for Wild World and fell in love with it, sounded so relaxing and peaceful, I knew it was the perfect game for me :D since then i have gotten City Folk and new leaf, NL and WW being my favs, CF I enjoyed.

I was looking for let's plays of Sims 3 to figure out if it was worth getting and found Andrew Arcade, after watching through his playthrough of the Supernaturals pack I subscribed and a short while after that he started uploading Animal Crossing New Leaf. The thing that caught my eye the most was the customization, customizable characters are a weakness for me and everything else came after. "I could put on a hockey mask and wear a shirt with a fake bloodstain? And carry an axe everywhere? Sold!" After I got bored with pretending to be a serial killer there was still plenty to keep me entertained and I pretty much bonded with the villagers that I once attempted to terrorize with menacing letters and pitfalls (not like they can be terrorized by letters, and Octavian didn't even flinch when I gave him an octopus for furniture).

Last edited:
I heard about the GC version when I saw commercials about the game going even when you turn it off (that was mind blowing to me when i was younger??). i also loved that there were different animal villagers to hang out with.

I got Wild World by my mum years ago, maybe for Christmas, and I was instantly hooked.

Ha, I even remember one time when it was my birthday and the villagers sent me presents, and I started bawling my eyes out because I was so touched. LOL.

those damn commercials for it back in the day with the villager costumes and Real World-esque style haha I loved em' and thought I had to get this game

needed more fire power for my gamecube as well

I remember when I was a kid, I used to look at the ads for Best Buy and Circuit City and there was always the cover of the original Animal Crossing in there. I wanted it so bad but I didn't have a gamecube. But my cousins did and when I went to visit them, I kept playing with their game and wanted it even more. It wasn't until I was much older that I finally got the original AC because you could play GC games on the Wii so I got it as a bunch of other GC games.

Personally, it was reading about the game in Nintendo Power that got me interested. I really liked the idea of the game world being in constant motion and running on a real time clock.

I was just kind of introduced to Animal Crossing when I was a kid. I remember that I first played it when I was 8 or 9 (the Gamecube version) and I really liked how there was no real objectives in that you could do whatever you wanted and whenever you wanted. I was thrilled to eventually get the DS version in 2007 and had so much fun. I must admit though, the Wii version, City Folk, was kind of a disappointment for me though, probably because I had so much with Animal Crossing being portable from Wild World that the home-console versions of the game kind of wore off of me.

Anyways, I think I will always be a fan of the series. I love the cute characters, items, customization, and the countless things one can do.

Back