• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Broadband Speed Question

JasonBurrows

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Yellow Pansy
Red Pansy
White Pansy
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Cake
My friend has recently had a new broadband set up and is receiving higher download speeds than what he was getting with his previous broadband connection and so he asked me to find out whether this these statistics are good or not...

He told me that he was able to download a 972 MB Nintendo Wii U Update in 6 minutes.
He also says he gets at least 90 Mbps Download on his computer, 7 ms Ping and 12 Mbps Upload.

Last edited:
By converting Mbps into MB/s, he's supposed to have at least around 11MB per second. However, according with the Wii U firmware update download, all he got was 2.7MB per second.

It seems like that any Wii U's download speed is capped at a certain amount of MB/s, therefore not making the system as an ideal hardware for Internet performance tests. For a much more accurate test, he's better off using SpeedTest with his PC while all of the other devices aren't using Internet at all.

For a much more accurate test, he's better off using SpeedTest with his PC while all of the other devices aren't using Internet at all.
He had already found that he was receiving 90 Mbps on his PC. This was while the other internet devices were still connected.

Upload could be a bit better, but those are above average speeds. I have 150/50.

Upload could be a bit better, but those are above average speeds. I have 150/50.
My friend had these two fluctuating scores from his first broadband provider.

Lowest: 3.67 Mbps Download, 0.59 Mbps Upload and 93 ms Ping
Highest: 6.94 Mbps Download, 0.65 Mbps Upload and 46 ms Ping

So he is very happy with his current 92.43 Mbps Download, 12.35 Mbps Upload and 7 ms Ping now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think Nintendo is a good value for Internet speed, their servers are kinda crappy when it comes to DL speed and when playing with people in general.

Yeah, I don't think Nintendo is a good value for Internet speed, their servers are kinda crappy when it comes to DL speed and when playing with people in general.
Yeah...

He gets 92.43 Mbps Download, 12.35 Mbps Upload and 7 ms Ping through SpeedTest.net.

Sounds more legit then. Computers are always best, phones and gaming devices tend to be very slow regardless if you have like 1 million in both ul and dl speed.

Back