• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Internet In The 90s

The dial up tone is the soundtrack to my childhood <3
ah yes that glorious tone

it made sneaking online so damn hard

ownlee tru 90z keed wheel reemembar thiz geef

tumblr_mpg5arui7E1s1clzao1_250.gif

Last edited:
Here's a video I found for 90s internet

Oh my goodness what is this video
It was only like a little less than 20 years ago
(Wait that's a long time)
But your thoughts on this video?

u weren't even a gamete in the 90's wat r u on about

u weren't even a gamete in the 90's wat r u on about

Posing kids, they just wanna have fun.

Yes I remember the really old internet.. I hate when your parents were on the phone because you could never get online lol.

I was on the internet in the late 90s and all I remember is people yelling at each other when there was a phone call and using AOL free trial CDs to chat with strangers in group chats. Dark times.

We had a big old computer in my mom's room and I would always wait until she was gone, like when I would stay home sick and stuff, and then sit on chat rooms on like doll-making sites, where you like dragged clothes onto the base and stuff... Sometimes I would forget to disconnect and then my mom would yell at me when trying to use the phone. This was the late 90's early 00's but it was an awful time man. Slow as poo internet.

Just a few years ago whenever I went to my friend's house who lived out where they didn't offer regular internet yet, and she still had dial-up and it made me super nostalgic.

Oh, no! Not the Dancing Baby!

I remember being able to go to chat rooms and talk to someone across the country/overseas, which was incredible. No emoji, just text, but it still was a huge thing.

It's amazing how far computers, themselves, have come since then. My brother and I started off with a Commodore64 and tape drive in the 80s. I got a "real" computer in '89-'90 for Christmas - an HP 285 that ran LotusWorks and used 5-1/4" floppy disks. It cost my parents $3500 and took up my entire desktop. And the printer had a continuous feed for paper.

Doll-making sites those were the days lol xD

And floppy disks games are fun since you really need those old computers for it <3 Arkanoid and some underwater maths game I never identified were my 90s..

Dial-up, ICQ, Homestead/Angelfire sites, the Napster controversy...

Though, Dial-up was great if you didn't want any telemarketers to call.

PS: DarkDesertFox, thank you for the panic attack that video caused. A warning about it containing jump scares would have been nice for people easily startled.
...this is why I don't typically click links and videos in threads. -_-

Last edited:
I guess but then telemarket people weren't that huge back in the days... I guess. I think the peak was some years ago.

I used to go on some pretty ****ty pokemon sites with ****ty pokemon OCs, honestly it was so much fun, occasionally I try searching for them but ofc they're not around.

Idk if 90's but around 2000~ I went on a lot of pokemon forums too.

Sites like dragonflycave & Mew's Hangout..man

I *think* the first site I ever went to was Barenaked Ladies homepage (the band, pervs). And having the phone line tied up was a pain, but did anyone else have CallWave? It would give you a little caller ID blip on the top of your screen and you could choose to answer it or stay online and ignore it. I thought that **** was so cool.

I *think* the first site I ever went to was Barenaked Ladies homepage (the band, pervs). And having the phone line tied up was a pain, but did anyone else have CallWave? It would give you a little caller ID blip on the top of your screen and you could choose to answer it or stay online and ignore it. I thought that **** was so cool.

Lol that seemed cool to have. Nope we never had that iirc.

I also remember these large chat/community sites and most f them was pervs lol

I know it's frequently mentioned when people talk about old websites, but I still love that the Space Jam site is up and running still.

And it would be like a time capsule if I could go back and see the geocities/angelfire sites my cousin and I would put together. Good times... so thankful YouTube wasn't around.

I only used the family computer for Paint and Disney's Magic Artist Studio. I do remember my brother having to tell everyone not to answer the phone because he was about to watch funny videos on newgrounds.

I only used the family computer for Paint and Disney's Magic Artist Studio. I do remember my brother having to tell everyone not to answer the phone because he was about to watch funny videos on newgrounds.
Holy crap, I remember that game!

It was awesome! :D

90's were best years. I used to play so many dinosaur games, Reader Rabbit, Forever Growing Gardens, those visual novel games. And then in early 2000's I started playing neopets and Animal Crossing and gave up my life to the internet, lol.

Back