• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Subbed vs Dubbed

Subbed or Dubbed

• Subbed

Votes: 88 78.6%
  • Dubbed

Votes: 24 21.4%

• Total voters
I'm not actually for or against either. I really do prefer subs slightly over dubbing, but I'm not really supposed to say that because I do voice act and I actually get dubbing opportunities quite often.

Subbed. Most of the dubbed voices range from terrible to mediocre. There are some exceptions such as the dub for Soul Eater and Code Geass. I thought the dubs for those were great. I just think the Japanese are more emotionally connected with their role giving their voice acting that special something.

this is basically my view too.
usually, when i say i like subs, people get really defensive, as if i have an air of superiority about why i prefer subbed versions. it's odd and i don't understand it. oh well.

The Sailor Moon's dub is awful omg

how can it be awful when it gives us such gems as

animes that I watched growing up, I will usually rewatch the dub since that's what I know and it amplifies the nostalgia (inuyasha, cardcaptors, pokemon, etc).
when I went back to rewatch sailor moon I tried the dub and... I just couldn't do it, it was so bad

I think dubbing has gotten a lot better since the 90s. And I definitely understand not wanting to read all the time just to watch a show. idk I usually almost forget I'm reading subtitles, so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Last edited:
I prefer dubbed because it's easier to focus on what's happening than having to read everything missing what the characters are doing, if that makes any sense :)

I prefer dubbed because it's easier to focus on what's happening than having to read everything missing what the characters are doing, if that makes any sense :)

Yeah, that's why I'm so on the fence!

Guys who don't like dubbing, even so, you have to at least give credit to dubbing actors-it's not as easy as you think! Most of you already know this but we have to study the lip movements precisely and match your own voice as close as you can to the original. If anything's more than a second off you have to re-record until you get it EXACTLY.

I would have to say Subbed, even though I am not really a fan of anime, my boyfriend watches it though and I really like trying to like "hear" English words within the Japanese? If that makes any sense, then I announce those words to my boyfriend and he get annoyed, but I think it's funny.

I'm going to be that one sacrilegious dweeb who's going to say dubbed. It's more of a preference, really: I like being able to focus more on the action rather than have to keep looking down to read the subtitles. It's kind of disconcerting to me.

That is, nothing against anyone who prefers subbed. I can understand completely why.

It really doesn't matter to me, as long as it's done well. I particularly like certain dubs and subs. I love the original Pokemon dub (it was filled with puns and broke the fourth wall often), but definitely enjoy the sub as well. If you were to look at my preference anime by anime, you'd find I like more subbed anime. But it's not my rule.

how can it be awful when it gives us such gems as

animes that I watched growing up, I will usually rewatch the dub since that's what I know and it amplifies the nostalgia (inuyasha, cardcaptors, pokemon, etc).
when I went back to rewatch sailor moon I tried the dub and... I just couldn't do it, it was so bad

I think dubbing has gotten a lot better since the 90s. And I definitely understand not wanting to read all the time just to watch a show. idk I usually almost forget I'm reading subtitles, so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Honestly, the DiC dub was so bad it's good.
It had a charm, but it was still pretty bad.
The Cloverway dub is worse in my opinion, so awful that it's hilarious to watch.

I do agree that dubbing has gotten a lot better since the 90's, which a lot of people seem to forget sometimes.
Like seriously, a lot of anime voice actors nowadays put in a lot of emotion and acting compared to the 90's...

Last edited:
I usually prefer subbed. I like hearing the original language, even if I can't understand a word of it. Dubs are usually missing "something", I don't know how to explain it. Like certain cultural references are lost? There are nuances that don't fit the original? I don't know.

The only time I prefer dubbed is when either the subtitles are in horribly broken English, forcing me to pause and try to figure out what they were trying to say, or if the voice acting is actually good. It is nice to be able to focus my full attention on a show/movie instead of also trying to read the subtitles.

Subbed for sure.

Is this real?

If it is, I'm dying...the acting's alright, but the voices are hilarious.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Guys...guys...guys...

We all know that Ghost Stories has the best dub in the history of the universe.

Last edited:
Is this real?

If it is, I'm dying...the acting's alright, but the voices are hilarious.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Guys...guys...guys...

We all know that Ghost Stories has the best dub in the history of the universe.

oh my god what the hell was the context of that scene xD dat ass doe
no, the voices are actually pretty normal from the perspective of a voice actor! it's kind of a basic rule you will need to overact unless you're doing horror. directors look for people who sound cartoony (in japan it's not so much because you can't really tell if someone has a "cartoon" voice or not-there's no definitive point) like what you hear in typical western cartoons. not many people have a "cartoon" voice and when we audition, we're always given a guideline of a character's personality and a brief description of their age etc. directors go for the ones with the most enthusiasm and the ones that sound close to their own vision of the character and it's often quite extreme. very rarely will their voice change from audition to the final product, so the results do sound quite funny.

oh my god what the hell was the context of that scene xD dat ass doe
no, the voices are actually pretty normal from the perspective of a voice actor! it's kind of a basic rule you will need to overact unless you're doing horror. directors look for people who sound cartoony (in japan it's not so much because you can't really tell if someone has a "cartoon" voice or not-there's no definitive point) like what you hear in typical western cartoons. not many people have a "cartoon" voice and when we audition, we're always given a guideline of a character's personality and a brief description of their age etc. directors go for the ones with the most enthusiasm and the ones that sound close to their own vision of the character and it's often quite extreme. very rarely will their voice change from audition to the final product, so the results do sound quite funny.

im sorry, i don't know anything about voice acting.

I just like stupid and funny crap in dubs.

Back