• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Subbed vs Dubbed

Subbed or Dubbed

• Subbed

Votes: 88 78.6%
  • Dubbed

Votes: 24 21.4%

• Total voters
I prefer subbed over dub, but if I'm going on a road trip, I use dub. I HATE reading while on the car (And it doesn't help my car sickness). So if I use dub, I can just sit back and relax v u v

Dubbed.

I would rather watch a bad dub than a good sub. It's not as though I understand Japanese anyway so any 'meaning' lost through that is often lost anyway.

Plus I just wanna sit back and watch it, I don't want to read. If I'm gonna be reading an anime, I may as well just pick up the manga.

Definitely Dubbed. I can't stand reading subs, especially during a fighting scene because I'm spending too much time looking down at the bottom of the screen than what's happening. I'm not actually a big fan of Anime anyway but I don't really care if dubs are bad or not, aslong as I can understand what their saying haha.

It's annoying to read subtitles. You can't look away from the screen. I find it hard to enjoy with subs.

Last edited:
Dubbed because I'm not weeaboo trash :)

Bad voice acting = legendary anime anyway

Last edited:
Dubbed.

I would rather watch a bad dub than a good sub. It's not as though I understand Japanese anyway so any 'meaning' lost through that is often lost anyway.

Plus I just wanna sit back and watch it, I don't want to read. If I'm gonna be reading an anime, I may as well just pick up the manga.

And the manga does the anime better anyway lol

And I know! I don't go on anime marathons anymore because spending like 10+ hours reading subtitles non-stop.. NO PLS.

wow

i used to not even watch an anime unless it was dubbed but i found out i miss out on so many great animes that way. i dont get how subs tear your attention away from the action unless youre looking through a pinhole or something?? looking slightly lower for like a second doesnt make u miss anything unless u have narrow vision or something.

once i started watching subs the bad dubbed voices became that much more noticeable so i stick to subs now (how else was i gonna watch all these amazing new animes???)

y readng so painful to yall
pls pick up a b ook

Last edited:
y readng so painful to yall
pls pick up a b ook

Because not wanting to read the TV means I don't read books *logic*

I won't not watch an anime because there isn't a dubbed version, I would just rather watch it with dubs if one is available. Big difference.

Both.

With Dubbing, it depends on the voice acting and writing. With dubs like Cowboy Bebop and...well.. the Ghibli films, there's barley any point to watch the sub versions anymore.
But then there's those dubs..with corny voice acting.....OH THE HILARITY ENSUES.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The Sailor Moon's dub is awful omg

This dub is gold.

Last edited:
Subbed (or without) over dubbed.

I can't stand how the voice actors pronounce Japanese names, places, etc. in dub versions at all lmao. Ghibli movies is OK though!

Because not wanting to read the TV means I don't read books *logic*

I won't not watch an anime because there isn't a dubbed version, I would just rather watch it with dubs if one is available. Big difference.
i am enlightened ty

I don't watch anime often, but when I do it's usually dubbed (with a few exceptions) because I think reading subtitles takes away from the experience a little. My friends will recommend the decent ones to me xD

I don't watch anime anymore, but I guess this applies to foreign films and such as well. I prefer subbed by far, dubbed is just awful and sounds so cringey.

I don't have a huge preference. Whichever language I happen to hear it in first tends to be fine, with certain exceptions for particularly bad dubs (e.g. Sailor Moon).

However, for live action then I support subs all the way. Dubs look awkward and more often than not don't fit - in film, TV, broadcasts, etc. I mute the news when they try to dub interviewees because it just sounds so awful and makes the speaker look bad (and in cases where I have some understanding of the language the person is speaking I just find it frustrating).

Subbed because Dubbed sometimes sounds really horrible. And with dub, you may be able to learn some Japanese, well in Anime at least.

Subbed, hands down.

Subbed. Most of the dubbed voices range from terrible to mediocre. There are some exceptions such as the dub for Soul Eater and Code Geass. I thought the dubs for those were great. I just think the Japanese are more emotionally connected with their role giving their voice acting that special something.

That's why I prefer subbed. The dubs have been getting worse and worse over the past 15 years, and even dubs which I thought were pretty good paled in comparison once I heard the excellent voice acting job of the original Japanese cast (like Gundam Wing).
When I saw the dub of Yu Yu Hakusho, I laughed at how badly Kuwabara was done (having seen it fansubbed and raw Japanese before it even was licensed in the US as something other than just the first movie).
The Japanese voice actors just generally do a much better job. I have never seen an anime where the English cast did a better job, and the only titles which the dub wasn't that bad, even after seeing the original, are "The Slayers" and "Ranma 1/2" (sans the OVAs, where the English dub feels a little flat). Digimon Adventure (season 1) wasn't that bad dub-wise, either, if one ignores the editing.

There's also the issue of changing names and editing dialogue, as well as cultural things (the last one isn't done as much as it used to, but anyone who has seen the dubs of Sailor Moon can attest to "manju" being called "donuts") in some dubs.

There are also some cases where there are issues with the translations, such as Rurouni Kenshin, which doesn't translate well to English (as "de gozaru yo" became "that it is").

In Digimon Adventure, when Takeru (TK) is forced to go with Pinochimon (Puppetmon), he was given an actual gun, and they were actually playing "War", not "Hide-and-Seek/Tag" like the dub made it.
Sailor Moon also had a couple episodes combined into a single episode during the final confrontation with Queen Beryl in the dub, not to mention that Haruka (Amara) and Michiru (Michelle) were dubbed as cousins and not lovers in the English version, as well.

I don't have a specific preference, not all dubs are bad and there are few that butcher it with editing.

Back