• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Subbed vs Dubbed

Subbed or Dubbed

• Subbed

Votes: 88 78.6%
  • Dubbed

Votes: 24 21.4%

• Total voters
Subbed. Most of the dubbed voices range from terrible to mediocre. There are some exceptions such as the dub for Soul Eater and Code Geass. I thought the dubs for those were great. I just think the Japanese are more emotionally connected with their role giving their voice acting that special something.

It depends on the voice acting. If it has great voice actors like FMA, Yu Yu Hakusho, or some of Studio Ghibli, then I'll watch it dubbed.

But I do agree that most of them I've seen, albeit not a lot, are better subbed.

Last edited:
Some subs are good. Some dubs are good.
Some subs are bad. Some dubs are bad.

I personally think the dub for PSG was much better than the sub.

I prefer subbed in most cases. The rhythm and inflection of the Japanese language is a lot different than pretty much any other language, so I find things can lose some of their meaning when dubbed.

One of my exceptions is Mushishi. I really loved the English dub, especially since the show is pretty heavy on the senses, so it's nice to not have to worry about reading subtitles. (And I'm sad that the second series won't be dubbed by the same people if it gets a dub at all).

Oh, and Ghost Stories. Please do yourself a favour and watch the English dub of Ghost Stories. The show's story and writing was so dumb that the English voice actors just did their own thing and it's the best.

Last edited:
Usually subs. The only dubbed version of an anime I enjoyed so far was Soul Eater.

Pretty much roll subtitled, mostly since I watch stuff off Crunchyroll or Hulu that takes like half a year to get translated. Kinda a neat way to try and learn some basic words too, the only problem I have with watching subbed is that if I blink or the stream stutters I gotta rewind it a little compared to dubbed where it'd just keep rollin.

I usually prefer subs, but Ouran High School Host Club was an AMAZING dub! Also, the ghibli movies are fantastic in any language :D

Usually subbed. But I do think the English dub for Death Note was pretty good.

Oh, and Studio Ghibli's movies aren't bad dubbed c:

Last edited:
Subbed because it doesn't make sense to me to watch a dubbed version in another foreign language. Also I prefer Japanese expressions.

Subbed. I absolutely cannot stand watching anything when the voices are not synced with their lip movement. It messes with mind. Although, I loved the voices in the Animal crossing movie so that gets an exception as well as Shugo Chara but only because the bloopers at the end were funny.

I used to be a dub person because I was lazy, but I was so ignorant. Sub is beyond better. Most dubs are pretty mediocre, though that's not to say all of them are.

Subbed, because I like to hear the original language. I love languages. And you can learn some words here and there if you try.

But I don't mind dubbing with cartoons/anime. Foreign movies however...I can't even watch if it's dubbed. It just annoys me so much. Aside from it not syching up, usually the bad voice acting kills it too.

Subbed. I used to prefer dubbed when I first got into anime in 2010 but over time I started liking subbed more.

Subbed.

I pretty much hate the dubs always because they are very poorly made and don't fit the lip's movement or the expressions/words are obviously nothing like the original. This is regardless if it's games or anime/cartoons/etc.

Tbh I hate that argument 'i'm too lazy to read' or 'i wanna multitask'

it's like.. dude if I wanna multitask I don't watch anime or play a game for that matter. Sure I can draw/read watching TV but then I put on something silly. If I want to watch anime or play a game I dedicate my time to it.

And if you are that illiterate so you can't read simple subtitles... then you should not watch it. Most things has a deeper story than Pok?mon you know.

I feel that more of the real emotion the creators were going for is shown in subbed, and it also looks better because it's difficult to make dubs look sync with the speaking.

I prefer subbed.

I like subbed. I read alot so its easy to be to follow subbed, my sister has to have it dubbed though! Makes watching an anime wth her an extremely annoying process haha!

Back