• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

3DS XL Cracking Sounds

Shimmer

(ര̀ᴗര́)و☆
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Orange (Fruit)
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
So ever since I bought it, my (old) 3DS XL has been making really loud cracking sounds. If I open the lid, it'll literally "snap" into place twice until it's fully open. I thought that that was normal but I'm afraid of breaking it every single time I open it. S: Also, when I gently squeeze the back, it creaks a little bit. Not sure if that's normal either.

These only seem to happen with the XL since my brother has a normal 3DS and it doesn't make noises.

Anyone with 3DS XL's encounter these problems? It's no big deal, since my 3DS works, I just don't want it to get worse until I can't play it anymore.

I always thought that meant it was brand new. Mine still does that, and it has never been an issue. Imo that cracking noise is amazing.

The normal 3DS model doesn't have it. The 3DS XL as well as both models of the New 3DS do, so it's nothing to be worried about.

As already said this is perfectly normal mine's done that since new. All it means it that its locking mechanism locks in really strongly that's all.

So ever since I bought it, my (old) 3DS XL has been making really loud cracking sounds. If I open the lid, it'll literally "snap" into place twice until it's fully open. I thought that that was normal but I'm afraid of breaking it every single time I open it. S: Also, when I gently squeeze the back, it creaks a little bit. Not sure if that's normal either.

These only seem to happen with the XL since my brother has a normal 3DS and it doesn't make noises.

Anyone with 3DS XL's encounter these problems? It's no big deal, since my 3DS works, I just don't want it to get worse until I can't play it anymore.

I hate that. The N3DS does it as well. I think it's because it's suppose to be like held in place and it snaps when it's in the correct position and it has two spots for it for different viewing angles. IDK, I did not explain this very well at all. Honestly, I hate it. It makes it feel so fragile. Like too much force could make it pop right off.

It's scary.

Honestly, I hate it. It makes it feel so fragile. Like too much force could make it pop right off.

I dunno, I kind of think that it makes it feel a lot more 'sturdy'.

Most things that 'lock' into place come with an accompanying noise of some sort that just makes me feel it's not going to move or open on its own because I know it's locked, the noise confirms that.

I dunno, I kind of think that it makes it feel a lot more 'sturdy'.

Most things that 'lock' into place come with an accompanying noise of some sort that just makes me feel it's not going to move or open on its own because I know it's locked, the noise confirms that.

True but it makes me nervous because I've seen a lot of horror stories where people have broke the hinge on their 3DS. The lock-in noise makes me paranoid lol

And lock into place was the term I was trying to say in my other post but it was escaping my mind at the time.

Last edited:
Back