• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon How Do You Make Pokemon Fun?

Shimmer

(ര̀ᴗര́)و☆
Bells
Orange (Fruit)
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
Do you go on adventures? Catch all Pokemon? Breed for shinies or contests? :)

I like nuzlocking!! but i'm terrible at it. I'm always a sucker for the plots in pokemon, as nonexistent as they can be..

Don't take IV/EV and competitive too seriously. Just play at your own pace, trade with people or on the WT/GTS, have fun deciding on your teams..

I try to get those Pokes I can.. and no I don't breed tbh, it's so bad in ORAS though unless you have a Flame Body pokemon to go with it

Omg man, I hate the routes that go with breeding, like in ORAS they had the battle resort with all those sandpits it just makes it a chore to hatch eggs. Idk how breeders do it \ o /

Usually I try to enjoy the game's plot the first time I play it thru, and then after I beat the Elite Four it's all catching & making different teams. I'm guessing most players are like this though

It's really discouraging trading and breeding Pokemon now that so many people cheat. I'm even using a 6 IV Ditto for breeding as an edge. Even then I still spent a lot of time breeding Pokemon and getting the right nature and IVs while other people are Powersaving Pokemon and going online instantly.

TBh I don't care if people PS or use whatever as long as they don't freeze or mess up your game. I used AR a lot in the Gen IV-V games mainly because I hardly knew people (on forums) who played Pok?mon a lot that had some hard to get things.

Also the slow hatching in ORAS.. the hell

It's really discouraging trading and breeding Pokemon now that so many people cheat. I'm even using a 6 IV Ditto for breeding as an edge. Even then I still spent a lot of time breeding Pokemon and getting the right nature and IVs while other people are Powersaving Pokemon and going online instantly.

Aren't there measures against cheating in competitive? That's really discouraging, I was under the assumption hacked pokemon were just auto banned

Aren't there measures against cheating in competitive? That's really discouraging, I was under the assumption hacked pokemon were just auto banned

People go online with them all the time. I think the Pokemon that are autobanned are the ones you create from a cheating device in comparison to a preexisting Pokemon you edit with a cheating device. I really should use that Pokemon Showdown simulator to see if a team works before actually make a team. I'm not a huge competitive player. I just like to have those kinds of battles with friends mainly.

Last edited:
I like playing in the multibattle competitions at the end of the game with my brother. It took forever, but we finally beat the Subway bosses Ingo and Emmet. The Battle Arcade in Platinum is also really fun.

I also occasionally try to breed a shiny of one of my favorite Pokemon, but it gets annoying after a while. I am currently stuck in Pokemon X trying to get a shiny Honedge.

Train a team of my favourite pokemon, complete pokedex, done?

If you like completing books/encyclopedias and such the game basically automatically pulls your interest.

I normally generate a random team through Wyncorporation and play through the game with it. I did that once for Sapphire, and it was one of the most invigorating Pokemon experiences I have had in a long time.

The days when the tweaking glitch was still present in the game, haha;;

I usually play Pokemon for the story, I don't trade much because I feel like I should be finding/training it myself lol;;

Problem with playing it for the story is that once you finish it, there really isn't much to do. That's why I wish there were side quests in Pokemon, or some other optional things to do that don't directly relate to the main story. For example, I like how they added Looker's detective thing in XY.

I'm saying this, yet I still haven't beat ORAS yet, haha;; I still need to do that one extra story that you get after the elite four....(I forgot the title of it lol)

Pokemon's always fun if I get sentimentally attached to my team. (Especially with Pokemon Amie making things personal and more authentic)

Pokemon Amie is a blast!! Especially when you're nuzlocking. Makes the death extra sad haha

I couldn't be bothered to Amie my pokemon in ORAS though. It ties in better with XY imo, if that even makes sense.

Pokemon is already fun D:<

But yea, I just play through it as normal the first time catching the Pokemon I like.

I also like doing 'monotype runs' where I'll use only a certain type through the game, or where I'll use only Pokemon that 'look like fish' or 'look like dogs' or whatever. They're both fun since the limit on what Pokemon I can use which obviously makes certain areas more difficult.

I've never really done a Nuzlocke. I started one a few months ago with X but I forgot where I was up to with it like where I had already caught Pokemon, whether any of the Pokemon in my team were 'dead' or not and a few other things, so I'm planning on restarting that. It was fun at the time though.

Yeah, I see what you mean ^^

You should try amie in ORAS though! It's really amusing to pet/play games with really serious pokemon like Blaziken and Gardevoir. Blaziken doesn't even eat from his mouth; you have to hold the poke puff to his chest so he can 'hold it in a dignified way' before eating it

I don't get the fun of Nuzlocke and they are boring to read and watch. I just use whatever and switch them out once in a while.

Also I love trading with people here, most people are friendly even if Nintendo cuts the crap every once in a while, lmao.

I don't get the fun of Nuzlocke and they are boring to read and watch. I just use whatever and switch them out once in a while.

I don't get the fascination with reading/watching other people's Nuzlockes either. I guess it speaks more to the 'lets players' who like watching others play games.

I just like the general rules for a Nuzlocke since it adds challenge to a pretty generally easy game. It's also a way to get me to use Pokemon I wouldn't necessarily use, otherwise I would use the same 5 Pokemon literally all the time with every game and one random Pokemon I don't care about for HM slaving.

But I've done stuff sort of like Nuzlockes since Red/Blue with Monotypes (pretending I was an aspiring Gym leader, lol), at least in the sense of ways to make me use different Pokemon. Nuzlockes are kind of a variation of something I already did in that sense.

Last edited:
I run nuzlockes, though I actually like Wonderlockes a lot more, because you have no clue what you're going to get. I often do other variations, like the Wonderwedlocke (which is extremely challenging), and adding in some of my own rules to make it even harder/challenging (like not allowing the use of items in battle).

When a new game comes out, I always run a blindlocke of it.

I once tried a monotype run with Pokemon Y (chose water) with nuzlocke rules, and had one pokemon left by the time I reached the second gym. Ironically enough, it was the Panpour I had caught in the forest.

Typically, I try to enjoy the story as well, but the only generation (out of all six) with a story which really wowed me was Black/White (not the sequels, the originals). I think the story in X/Y would have been much better if they focused on AZ instead of Lysandre; so much wasted potential!
The Delta Story in ORAS, though...I couldn't put it down. I also did like the original story when I first played R/S/E, because it wasn't the usual "bad guys stealing pokemon" thing.

After I beat the game...if I have an extra copy, I use one of them to run different variants of nuzlockes, and start breeding with the other (even though I never quite got into actually finishing a team and actually participating in competitive battling until the recent TBT tournaments, and I haven't done any breeding in ORAS yet).
I sorta want to get into competitive battling, now...or at least, just run WiFi battles for fun after getting a taste of it in the tournaments. I think I'm hooked. XD

I don't get the fascination with reading/watching other people's Nuzlockes either. I guess it speaks more to the 'lets players' who like watching others play games.

I just like the general rules for a Nuzlocke since it adds challenge to a pretty generally easy game. It's also a way to get me to use Pokemon I wouldn't necessarily use, otherwise I would use the same 5 Pokemon literally all the time with every game and one random Pokemon I don't care about for HM slaving.

But I've done stuff sort of like Nuzlockes since Red/Blue with Monotypes (pretending I was an aspiring Gym leader, lol), at least in the sense of ways to make me use different Pokemon. Nuzlockes are kind of a variation of something I already did in that sense.

Dunno I think the game provides enough 'difficulty' for me. And the thing that you must play by hardcore rules ticks me off so hard. It's like you are supposed to enjoy it not crap out Pok?mon 24*7. Or, I don't get the fun I don't know.

Might be because aside from trading with peeps I take the game very casually.

Back