What Scared you as a kid?

my brother had a spiderman toy when we were younger that made noises and stuff
it was basically an action figure tbh
and one day when i was napping he connected the toy to a piece of yarn and tied the yarn on the ceiling fan and turned the fan on
and i woke up and this booty ass action figure was just swinging around my room making the noises it did (i don't remember what it would say but it was something among the lines of "im gonna take you down" LMAO) and i got hella scared like why is this toy threatening me
and whenever i saw it from then on i would start sobbing
but my dad threw it out one night like a month later when my brother was asleep so it was all cool

As a kid I lived in a apartment where so many strange things happened. I don't live there now, but I remember when my mom's boyfriend climbed in the house via our balcony. The screen door wasn't looked so he just waltzed right in and hid under the bed. This happened multiple times. In addition, weird strangers would come to our place in search for either a person, place, or thing. One time I tried to call my grandma and somehow ended up with the local police station. I hung up after a stern voice answered the phone, continuing to ask me if I had any emergency. I guess that was a bad idea since a few moments afterwards 4 policemen showed up to investigate.

The thing I remember most about that apartment was the terrible shadows that plagued my bedroom wall. My mom constantly told me how it was just reflections from outside, but I swear those things took on the shapes of human faces. For example, one had a more hard, geometric shape while the other was round and soft. Every day I had to stare at the faces on the wall before I went to sleep. They were there all the time, including mornings. The faces always looked angry, and as I got out of bed I sneaked under their gaze as if they would touch me.

Love them childhood memories as a 3 year old

Last edited:
Boohbah, the movie Gremlins, Birdo, Luigi's Mansion, and this Ernie plush I had that sang Splish Splash.

Last edited:
1357919084.jpg

this scared the life out of me

i was a really anxious kid tbh so idk maybe some of it was anxiety and not real fears or w/e But ., often i'd just start crying because i was anxious about so many things at once.
i was scared of robbers (i had So many nightmares about people breaking into our house when i was a kid), murderers, loud noices, fire alarms (not fires though..?) the dark, monsters, strangers, being abandoned, the animated sleeping beauty movie and a bunch of other things. i hated new situations and was scared of them a lot but once i got used to something it was ok

also i was really reslly afraid of being locked in somewhere, i still am but it was a lot worse then.
it affected a lot of things, i avoided elevators, my wardrobe (my sister locked us in there once and you cant open it from the inside so since then i always had a foot outside the door so it wouldnt close), closed off spaces, skii lifts (i hated when they stopped because i was sure i was going to be stuck there forever), small rooms with no windows, public bathrooms, entraces with two set of doors (like you enter one door from the outside and then there's a small space and then another set of doors into the actual building) and a bunch of other things.
another big fear i had was getting lost or not being able to find my parents. that one stuck with me for a long time, i think the last time i had an anxiety attack because i lost my mom in a grocery store was when i was like 9... yea h
as i've gotten older most of those things have gotten way better, if i ever were to get lost or something i would be able to find my way back so i dont worry about that. i still dont like being stuck somewhere but it's way better, now i mostly just avoid elevators lmao

Moblin_(Ocarina_of_Time).jpg This thing did! I couldn't get past the forest maze because of it so I always stopped playing when I got there. However I did do the fire temple before quitting as you don't need the bow for that one :p

^he was quite menacing, but when i think of the implications of having Voldemort on the back of your head nowadays there are so many funny situations i picture that this really throws the intimidation factor off for me. personally, his arrival at the end of book 4 is what scared me the most, i think. i loved and was equally freaked out by the opening scenes in that same book, and the way he's meant to look throughout the majority of that arc of the story.

when i was a kid there was a story read to me at school about a man who was a farmer or some such, and was being terrorized by someone at night, speaking to him when he was in bed.. i remember the plot having something to do with cat o' nine tails plants but i never can find the story now, when i try to. i was only in 4th grade and can't remember much about it but i wish i could track it down!

I really hated James and the Giant Peach. There was just something about claymation in particular that seemed really creepy to me. Now, I really admire a lot of claymation and see it as incredibly artistic and wonderful to look at, knowing all the work that went into it behind the scenes. Very impressive :)

James and the Giant Peach was so good! i love claymation in general. it's one i'd really like to rewatch, and show to my little brother when he's older. my first movie in theaters was Nightmare Before Christmas, and i was really little so it scared me and it made me cry but now i love it ^^; though the hype surronding it can be really annoying..

James and the Giant Peach was so good! i love claymation in general. it's one i'd really like to rewatch, and show to my little brother when he's older. my first movie in theaters was Nightmare Before Christmas, and i was really little so it scared me and it made me cry but now i love it ^^; though the hype surronding it can be really annoying..

I might rewatch James and the Giant Peach :) I might end up liking it, seeing as how my perspective on claymation has changed. I did just watch Nightmare Before Christmas recently for the first time, and though it was pretty good, the hype for the movie kind of raised my expectation by a lot, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. :(

unfortunately Hot Topic culture has made it hard to really love that movie the way it should be loved. it's actually quite good but the fandom around it is so annoying.. Tim Burton actually produced James and the Giant Peach as well, did you know? his films in general have been blown up to a hype i don't like but if you just watch them and try to ignore that, you may like them more.

unfortunately Hot Topic culture has made it hard to really love that movie the way it should be loved. it's actually quite good but the fandom around it is so annoying.. Tim Burton actually produced James and the Giant Peach as well, did you know? his films in general have been blown up to a hype i don't like but if you just watch them and try to ignore that, you may like them more.

Yes, actually, I know that ^_^ I've come to respect Tim Burton as a claymation artist. His movies are really imaginative in terms of visuals. I really liked Corpse Bride, actually, which was another one of his claymation movies. I understand what you mean about the hype surrounding him though. I think hype ruins a lot of things, tbh. So I don't normally follow it, unless it's right in my face (which was the case for Nightmare Before Christmas).

when i was really little i was afraid of long hallways, only because the house we lived in had a giant long skinny hallway (super long holy **** especially since i was 6) and the only room on the other side was mine (**** my parents i was like 6 why did i have the farthest room)

now the ONLY thing im afraid of are bugs. i just...cant. im fine with everything but the thought of bugs just...ew. also the thought of getting older scares me too i hope i dont live past my 30's

when i was really little i was afraid of long hallways, only because the house we lived in had a giant long skinny hallway (super long holy **** especially since i was 6) and the only room on the other side was mine (**** my parents i was like 6 why did i have the farthest room)

now the ONLY thing im afraid of are bugs. i just...cant. im fine with everything but the thought of bugs just...ew. also the thought of getting older scares me too i hope i dont live past my 30's

i'm not scared of bugs, because my dad forced me to get over that when i was like 10, by making me kill things myself (roaches used to be the thing for me) now the only thing i can't handle is maggots. i've had to clean up so some stuff with them on it before and while it doesn't scare me it does intensely gross me out.

i also used to be scared of hallways when i was little, i remember sharing a room with my mom and sometimes us both waking up in the middle of the night.. we'd decide to stay up talking or watch tv together and if i had to go down the hall to go to the bathroom or get something from the kitchen i'd get scared and she'd have to calm me down.

Yes, actually, I know that ^_^ I've come to respect Tim Burton as a claymation artist. His movies are really imaginative in terms of visuals. I really liked Corpse Bride, actually, which was another one of his claymation movies. I understand what you mean about the hype surrounding him though. I think hype ruins a lot of things, tbh. So I don't normally follow it, unless it's right in my face (which was the case for Nightmare Before Christmas).

yeah, sometimes it's hard not to! it can be that way with me too. i'm struggling with that with Homestuck right now, a close friend and my boyfriend both want me to read it but i really can't get into it so far and the hype is insane. Corpse Bride was really good! have you ever seen Vincent? it was the first one he made, and really short but Vincent Price narrates it and it's so cute

yeah, sometimes it's hard not to! it can be that way with me too. i'm struggling with that with Homestuck right now, a close friend and my boyfriend both want me to read it but i really can't get into it so far and the hype is insane. Corpse Bride was really good! have you ever seen Vincent? it was the first one he made, and really short but Vincent Price narrates it and it's so cute

No, I've never heard of Vincent! But I might have to check it out now ^_^

Not a lot, actually. But I was scared of the Gyroid face when you reset at another town in GC.

Back