• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Comparing yourself with other artists.

It doesn't just apply to art either. Some of us need to stop comparing ourselves to other people too. Not healthy.

I'm not an artist, but I really love to draw sometimes when something inspires me. I'm not amazing at it, but if I really have a good inspiration source then I'm always proud of the outcome and that I challenged myself to draw it in the first place.

There's no point in putting yourself down over thinking someone's a better artist than you. Instead maybe take note of some of the techniques someone else has used in their work and try to incorporate it into your own. Learn from each other.

Last edited:
It doesn't just apply to art either. Some of us need to stop comparing ourselves to other people too. Not healthy.

I think some comparison is fine. My friends and I always complete to see who can get the better grade in a class. Personally, our little rivalry makes me try harder in school. Comparison can just improve a person just as well as it can tear them down.

But yes, some people need to be less hard on themselves.

Last edited:
It's kind of a pain to compare yourself to others. After all, even though there are a lot of similarities sometimes, every art style is completely different.

Sometimes I feel like I drew something that looks completely awesome... but when I look at it later I'm like wow that's complete crap.

I think it helps if I think of my work as someone else's, since I tend to be less judgemental of other's works than my own (if that makes sense?)

BTW I'm still terrified to post any of my 'art' junk here..

Last edited:
Eh, I just don't take criticism because it makes me feel inferior. I can't see it any other way.

I agree, but I do take well-meaning constructive criticism fine and I've learnt to toughen myself up since I've always been quite sensitive(I've now learnt part of the reason is due to my mild DIAGNOSED anxiety). But snarky criticism people are obviously just trying to get at for laughs and really does hurt, and are just passing off as constructive criticism so they can complain how the person can't take any criticism when they get called out- 1)that's uncalled for 2)it really doesn't work, it just makes you look like an as****e

- - - Post Merge - - -

also, i don't like the way i draw, most people i show it to actually like it but idk i look at others' on this forum and it makes me feel bad

Last edited:
I can't help but get insanely jealous of other people's art. I don't know, I've always been that way. I'm naturally a very competitive person, but whenever I see someone who's art look wayyyyy more visually appealing than mine, I shut down. I either give up or push myself. There's no in between.

Back