Is the Popularity.Thread a Bad Idea?

Biskit11

Hiatus Mobile
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I now need Marcel in my town since I lost Shep, it seems like only tier one and two villagers are should up on the page.

Marcel is really cool go for it, no but I think the thread is a good idea to show what villagers are most commonly sought after. But it's not always 100% accurate if you asked me.

I don't think it's a bad idea since it gives people an idea of how popular the villagers they want are, so they can have a better notion of how hard it will be to get them.

It becomes annoying when you're looking for an unpopular villager that nobody seems to have. I completely understand what that's like since it's happened to me too. I just don't think that the lack of a thread about tiers would solve that, since people who really want to sell or trade villagers would still notice which ones tend to be more sought after.

It depends- it's good for the person selling the character, ages ago I sold Fang for 150k and he's like tier 1, so it would of been helpful then.
However, personally I would pay a tier 1 price for Pango, so it just depends on your own preferences.

I don't think it hurts to ask. I think the tiers bias some into thinking that some villagers are "worth more", not necessarily in a monetary sense, than the other villagers; and I think it's awful to think of things this way.

It's good to know which villagers are popular if you're looking to sell/trade/giveaway, but at the same time it's not the best because people often get their low-tier dreamie opinions stepped on.

I, personally, think it's a stupid idea that can lead to herd thinking tendencies. I also think it can devalue other villagers and sometimes the players that love them. Put a list of the villagers in alphabetical order with pics and then let everyone else decide on the prices for themselves, get some haggling involved and help people learn how to negotiate. It's NBD, and negotiating a way more useful skill, IMO, than someone saying, "This is pretty, so it must be expensive". I mean, seriously, people have a hard enough trying to fit in at school and work, so why make a video game into a popularity contest? I've never understood the concept.

^The thread is helping people out. It easily shows that hey, not many people are looking for this villager so don't bother trying to unload them for a million+ bells. People are still free to set their own prices.

^The thread is helping people out. It easily shows that hey, not many people are looking for this villager so don't bother trying to unload them for a million+ bells. People are still free to set their own prices.

It doesn't matter how many people are looking for a villager. If someone thinks a tier 1 is worth 5 million Bells, they should charge 5mill Bells and vice versa. If a buyer isn't willing to pay that, then they should try to talk them down or find someone else that has the villager for a lower price just like IRL. Or they can just do their research ahead of time. Like I'm gonna look at the prices of webcams and return policies, etc. before I go and buy a webcam. There's no reason people can't do the same thing on these forums.
Besides, the real problem with the popularity thread, as I said before, is that it leads to herd thinking and influences how all the other players look at villagers.

I've paid 3 mill for a tier 5 villager. I would have paid more, if they asked. The higher tiers seem to be easier to find because people put them up for adoption and the lower tiers often get voided. Seems kind of backwards. Basically, the high tiers are common, but the low are rare.

I, personally, think it's a stupid idea that can lead to herd thinking tendencies. I also think it can devalue other villagers and sometimes the players that love them. Put a list of the villagers in alphabetical order with pics and then let everyone else decide on the prices for themselves, get some haggling involved and help people learn how to negotiate. It's NBD, and negotiating a way more useful skill, IMO, than someone saying, "This is pretty, so it must be expensive". I mean, seriously, people have a hard enough trying to fit in at school and work, so why make a video game into a popularity contest? I've never understood the concept.

I... honestly agree with this, though if you asked me a month or two ago I wouldn't have cared either way.

Of course people are free to set their own prices, as others have suggested, but every time you step out of the bounds established by the tier thread/system, someone is quick to point that out. Everyone expects T4-5 to be free or close to it, and to pay a fortune for the higher tiers. If you offer a T5 for 100tbt, no one will bite unless you specifically searched for someone's dreamie before offering them up at that price, at which point they might be like "Well, it's a low tier, so that's not fair" - I pay as well as I can for all my dreamies, but the experiences I've had with others regarding this can be kind of weird and it's no doubt directly influenced by the tier thread.

There are so many villagers in the game and yet it seems like I see the same Tier 1 and Tier 2 villagers in every town I visit. Which isn't to say there are problems with those villagers or the people who have them - just that there ends up being unnecessary "hype" and it's really not as easy to find the lower tier villagers as a result of people skipping over them in favor of the others.

It would be interesting to see which villagers were more popular than others if it didn't create a very strange and strict "market" as a result...

Even without the thread, villager tiers will still exist. Villagers don't become popular/expensive because they're tiered high, they're tiered high because they're popular and expensive.

I may be biased against it, because I want Lolly due to the fact that I had her in City Folk and loved her, but now I can't afford her because of the extreme inflation. I haven't finished upgrading my houses or decorating my town so spending g like 30mil on a character isn't worth it no matter how nostalgic I am for her. I can understand that the prices get so high because people run out of things in game to spend money on, but the popularity thread seems to drive the price up even more.

Even without the thread, villager tiers will still exist. Villagers don't become popular/expensive because they're tiered high, they're tiered high because they're popular and expensive.

Exactly. It works just like the clique systems seen in high school and workplaces, which can also lead to cliques and fighting on the forums. The tier system needs to be removed and people need to realize that no matter how pretty or cute or kawaii or whatever a villager is, at the end of the day, Julian says the same things as Shep or Graham and Wolfgang says the things as Tom. Plus, these supposedly special villagers like Julian, Stitches, etc. have become so popular, I see them in practically every dream town I visit or see online: THEY ARE NO LONGER UNCOMMON. So why should we bother paying millions and millions for something everyone else already has? I would love to see the focus shift not even to villagers that are now Tier4-5, but just to villagers that aren't Ankha, Julian, or Stitches and the rest of the populars. I seriously don't understand how other people aren't bored with them yet.

At first I didn't really care either way, but now I feel bad for the low tier villagers. It seems like they aren't even offered a lot of the time because there's no money to be made. And that just seems like a really horrid mindset to have.

On the other hand, really popular villagers bug me because of people wanting them just because they're popular. That isn't right when there are people out there who want these villagers because they have legitimate attachments to them from previous AC games or whatever.

This is the main reason I give away all of my moving villagers, regardless of what tier they happen to fall into.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how many people are looking for a villager. If someone thinks a tier 1 is worth 5 million Bells, they should charge 5mill Bells and vice versa. If a buyer isn't willing to pay that, then they should try to talk them down or find someone else that has the villager for a lower price just like IRL. Or they can just do their research ahead of time. Like I'm gonna look at the prices of webcams and return policies, etc. before I go and buy a webcam. There's no reason people can't do the same thing on these forums.
Besides, the real problem with the popularity thread, as I said before, is that it leads to herd thinking and influences how all the other players look at villagers.

You assume it leads to herd thinking, yet everyone I've seen on this forum mentions how they just go for villagers they like, regardless of popularity. And I already said that people can charge whatever they want, regardless of tiers. Popularity exists and it won't go away. Those same villagers are going to be popular regardless of someone's list.

i agree and disagree-

it's nice because you have an idea of what you're looking for + the price ranges.
but for t5 villagers (like my #1 dreamie rasher) it takes ages to finally locate them because most wont post t4 and below.

You assume it leads to herd thinking, yet everyone I've seen on this forum mentions how they just go for villagers they like, regardless of popularity. And I already said that people can charge whatever they want, regardless of tiers. Popularity exists and it won't go away. Those same villagers are going to be popular regardless of someone's list.

Okay, I've been on this forum for YEARS. I got ACNL two months after it originally came out, and believe me I know what herd thinking looks like. I remember when Ankha was the must have villager and how supposedly lucky I was for having her as a starter. And I remember what it was like when half the site and Tumblr started worshiping Bob for some reason that I still can't figure out until this very day. So, please, do not accuse me of assuming anything, especially when I've seen it for myself. And how it can not lead to herd thinking when the lower tier villagers are nearly impossible to obtain -- it's like we can either have the populars shoved down our throats or get over it! And the only people that seem to care are the ones who are interested in the less popular villagers. I mean, do you see any of the cyclers shutting down the autovoid process?
Yeah, me neither.
Secondly, popularity doesn't exist. It's a concept thought up by a group of like-minded people, trying to establish a societal norm in a community by selecting idols that we are told to like, look up, or imitate. That is exactly what has happened in ACNL community. A bunch of players decided that Wolfgang and Ankha were the must have villagers, and the other players were like, "Well, all these people said it, so it must be true." That's it. <---------HERD THINKING.

I have a cycling thread and there have been many instances where I have not auto-voided tier5 villagers, and there is also the option to take tier5s off of auto-void and reserve them but nobody ever does...

I just picked them based on their appearance, - shrugs- I also have Old AC villagers in pervious verisons of ac that I had in my town, Say 4 of my villagers ? I also took in account of personalities
I like White and Blue so most of my villager or either white or blue
Bluebear and Kody
Whitney Fang and Skye
Marshal And Filbert
Carmen And Mira
And Finally Merengue, Shes okay but I prefer skye over her, When she moves I'm going to find myself Rosie, because Rosie has been my bestfriend since I was 8 years old >:c

Back