• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tips for a new Puppy?

Saaaakisuchan

Sa-ki-su Saki-chan!
Bells
The Bell Tree Fair 2014 Patch
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Cake
Hello~! I got a new puppy chihuahua, his name is Linus because our oldest dog is Lucy, a girl and another chihuahua. So I need some tips on how to raise him. We got him 2 days ago and he was a total surprise, my mother picked me up from school early and she opened the car door and there Linus was! Right now he is romping around my bed and chewing on random things o_o He is 3 months old btw~

Hello~! I got a new puppy chihuahua, his name is Linus because our oldest dog is Lucy, a girl and another chihuahua. So I need some tips on how to raise him. We got him 2 days ago and he was a total surprise, my mother picked me up from school early and she opened the car door and there Linus was! Right now he is romping around my bed and chewing on random things o_o He is 3 months old btw~

You should get and read "Dog-Friendly Dog Training" by Andrea Arden, either buy it or find it in the Internet, Google is your friend.
While you're at it, you should read as much as you can about raising dogs in a healthy and effective manner.

Start training him as soon as you can, avoid physical/verbal punishment , and the lure/reward method is your friend, look it up.

Last edited:
Linus is the name of one of the Black Fang members from Fire Emblem 7 (GBA). His brother, Lloyd, is also a Black Fang member as well as his parents Sonia and Brendan. They are the antagonists in the game although the depth of the storyline will sometimes show his reluctance to follow the Dark Lord Nergal. The main reason that Linus and Lloyd still fight for an evil cause is because of the family ties in the evil gang. After killing Lloyd in one chapter, Linus says in a further chapter nothing about committing the crimes, but it solely focused on revenge for his dead brother, showing the strong connection between the two. The tragic nature of this storyline grasps many Fire Emblem fans and, when the game was first released, many thought that it was possible to unlock the two brothers as playable characters. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

I don't think you should have named it Linus for this reason, and for that fact that a chihuahua does not fit the bulky characteristics of Linus from FE7.

:cool:

Last edited:
Linus is the name of one of the Black Fang members from Fire Emblem 7 (GBA). His brother, Lloyd, is also a Black Fang member as well as his parents Sonia and Bernard. They are the antagonists in the game although the depth of the storyline will sometimes show his reluctance to follow the Dark Lord Nergal. The main reason that Linus and Lloyd still fight for an evil cause is because of the family ties in the evil gang. After killing Lloyd in one chapter, Linus says in a further chapter nothing about committing the crimes, but it solely focused on revenge for his dead brother, showing the strong connection between the two. The tragic nature of this storyline grasps many Fire Emblem fans and, when the game was first released, many thought that it was possible to unlock the two brothers as playable characters. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

I don't think you should have named it Linus for this reason, and for that fact that a chihuahua does not fit the bulky characteristics of Linus from FE7.

:cool:

Haha oh I quite enjoy your posts.

Anyways for the pup, make sure that cute ball of dog has a soft bed with a generous amount of blanket. The lack of fur is self-explanatory so whether he has a designated spot or is sleeping on a bed, make sure he is covered!

Definitely check out http://www.clickertraining.com/
Tons of helpful articles on there for new dog owners :)

I also have been a dog trainer for a little over 3 years now, purely positive reinforcement based training so you can ask me any questions you'd like.

Lots and lots of treats. That is the only and best way to train any animal. I got my mom a dog and tried to train her how to train him, even getting her a book on the subject. It's two years in and the only thing he will do is sit and come. He wont lay, or stay, or anything. It's pretty bad. But now is the best time, when they are young its a lot better and easier

Definitely check out http://www.clickertraining.com/
Tons of helpful articles on there for new dog owners :)

I also have been a dog trainer for a little over 3 years now, purely positive reinforcement based training so you can ask me any questions you'd like.
YES a thousand times to this yes!

Since he's a chihuahua, you should put something on his collar that rings or rattles when he goes around, like a bell or multiple dog tags. They're pretty fragile, so you could easily crush something by stepping on him... If he's a voracious eater I'd watch his diet, too. If he's overweight and he jumps from a sofa he could break a bone.

Does your mother know anything about his parents? It's important to know if they have any health problems that they might've passed down to Linus, like a skull that's too small for his brain, which can cause syringomyelia.

Maybe you all just suck or I'm just super smart but I've had like 3 dogs and I've managed to successfully train all 3 without baiting them with a treat as a reward. Call it mean or whatever but you need to teach dogs (and any animal really) to do things without reaping any reward, just like humans,

And wtf at no verbal abuse?? Like obv you're not going to call your dog a **** because it won't understand, but dog sense through tone and if you use a loud, stern tone it's going to listen to you, if you just say placid stuff all the time, then yea, it may listen, but your relationship won't ever be as good as someone who yells at their dog.

I yell at my dog all the time (well not all the time but if he doesn't listen after a few times then yea) and he knows right from wrong, and it doesn't affect the relationship at all. He'll still run up to me nd jump all over me when I get home.

Don't let your judgment get in the way of training because that's probably the worst thing you can do.

Last edited:
Ahhh that's so cute!! :D

Make sure to train it while it's young so it doesn't become a wild mess later on. xD

I've never a had a puppy/dog, but I've had kittens and I think this general advice extends well.

Enjoy the time with them when they're young! They grow up so quickly and I think I made the best, lasting bonds with them during kittenhood.

Good luck!

Never leave anything valuable on the floor and keep it out of reach, most puppies will chew pretty much anything. Thank god my dog Oscar never chewed anything up as we trained him well. Also beware of wires and chocking hazards, they are like babies in a way, they will put anything and everything in their mouths XD potty training is a must! and it's a good idea to get puppies to meet and play with other dogs as soon as possible. These are things I have picked up over the years with my little Oscar ~

Maybe you all just suck or I'm just super smart but I've had like 3 dogs and I've managed to successfully train all 3 without baiting them with a treat as a reward. Call it mean or whatever but you need to teach dogs (and any animal really) to do things without reaping any reward, just like humans,

And wtf at no verbal abuse?? Like obv you're not going to call your dog a **** because it won't understand, but dog sense through tone and if you use a loud, stern tone it's going to listen to you, if you just say placid stuff all the time, then yea, it may listen, but your relationship won't ever be as good as someone who yells at their dog.

I yell at my dog all the time (well not all the time but if he doesn't listen after a few times then yea) and he knows right from wrong, and it doesn't affect the relationship at all. He'll still run up to me nd jump all over me when I get home.

Don't let your judgment get in the way of training because that's probably the worst thing you can do.

You and I are same in the way that
We have our own styles that we won't change

YOURS IS FILLED WITH WITH EVIL AND MINE'S NOT
THERE IS NO WAY I CAN LOSE

Back