• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you have any weird "ticks?"

Major problems:
-When everybody acts overly sensitive about everything. Like, relax.
-People shoving their opinions down others' throats. You can argue your point a bit, but don't force it onto others.
-Specifically trying to annoy somebody. Nobody likes that, it's not necessary, and we all have better things to do.
-Jumping to conclusions. I've gotten into this situation countless times with teachers, and it's not right.
-Gossip. The things I've heard about other people could fill a Mean Girls burn book.
-Just because somebody goes through a tough time doesn't make them any less of a jerk.

Pet peeves:
-Overdoing selfies. I'm fine with like one or two selfies per day, but they're JUST SELFIES. They DON'T have a deeper meaning, so don't act like they do.
-Vacation pictures. The best way to get people jealous online.
-STOP TALKING. What part of it do you not understand? (I'm not even a teacher and this gives me hell.)

I don't... think these count as tics...

The most prevalent of my ticks is probably just a means of like, with one hand, tracing the creases in my fingers and cracking the knuckles in those fingers. I've done this for years and it's totally unconscious. I have no idea why I guess it's just something to keep me centered in a way? Like a little routine to accomplish quickly

Me and my friends recently noticed that I flick my hair when I just start talking to someone. No idea why.

There's also this one teacher at school, and it's really weird because I don't do it when talking to anyone else, that I randomly feel the need to lift my hand up to my face or neck when talking to her. Pretty sure it's just some uneasy vibe I get from her. =P

Me and my friends recently noticed that I flick my hair when I just start talking to someone. No idea why.

There's also this one teacher at school, and it's really weird because I don't do it when talking to anyone else, that I randomly feel the need to lift my hand up to my face or neck when talking to her. Pretty sure it's just some uneasy vibe I get from her. =P

That happens to me too. I think for me it's half anxiety or hyperactivity. The other half is me being bored and not knowing what to do with my hands so I start touching my face/neck lol. I guess I want to seem engaged when people are talking so I over do it and start moving my hands in weird ways. At the same time I don't want to seem like talking to a dead log so I'm not sure what to do. XD

I have ASD (and sensory issues), so a lot of my "ticks" are forms of stimming. So, I guess they appear as ticks or quirks to other people.

-Those include cracking my thumbs (if I quickly bend my thumbs, I can get them to crack, which is calming in both feel and noise), playing with my nose (as it also makes those noises, but not as loudly), and twirling my hair; I do those the most often, though I'm always being told to stop cracking my thumbs (cause some other people don't like the noise).
I sometimes don't know if I twirl my hair as a quirk, or as a stim.

-If I get really anxious, I bite the collar of my shirt (stim).

-I also talk to myself, which is definitely just a quirk. I often do this when I take a walk outside, and more often than not with story ideas.

-I have to look both ways about 2-3 times before I cross the street.

-When I talk, I often tend to end my sentences in an upwards inflection (as if I'm asking a question) without realizing it.
I also pause in random places, or take a few moments to actually complete a thought aloud (and get nervous when people try to rush me to finish). I don't realize it when I do those things.

When I'm at home I always cross my legs when I sit. I don't even realise doing it most of the time.

When I get extremely restless I pick at things - during therapy sessions I pick off all my nail polish or pull on fraying threads in my clothes. When my anxiety is at its absolute highest, like on the precipice of a panic attack, I pick at myself and it's borderline self harm so I'm not going to go further into describing it.

Ever since reading through and posting in this thread I've realized that nearly all my "quirks" are really just weird ways I cope with said anxiety, though. It's been kind of a strange realization. I used to click my teeth at the beginning and end of every stretch of sidewalk whenever I was in a car when I was younger, or go through bottles of lotion like crazy because I would reapply every time I got the slightest bit tense. (Which was often, in high school.)

I have ASD (and sensory issues), so a lot of my "ticks" are forms of stimming. So, I guess they appear as ticks or quirks to other people.

-Those include cracking my thumbs (if I quickly bend my thumbs, I can get them to crack, which is calming in both feel and noise), playing with my nose (as it also makes those noises, but not as loudly), and twirling my hair; I do those the most often, though I'm always being told to stop cracking my thumbs (cause some other people don't like the noise).
I sometimes don't know if I twirl my hair as a quirk, or as a stim.

-If I get really anxious, I bite the collar of my shirt (stim).

-I also talk to myself, which is definitely just a quirk. I often do this when I take a walk outside, and more often than not with story ideas.

-I have to look both ways about 2-3 times before I cross the street.

-When I talk, I often tend to end my sentences in an upwards inflection (as if I'm asking a question) without realizing it.
I also pause in random places, or take a few moments to actually complete a thought aloud (and get nervous when people try to rush me to finish). I don't realize it when I do those things.

I've always wondered whether it was in poor taste to refer to my own anxious tics and habits as stimming. They definition applies perfectly, but I know thw word "stimming" itself is usually used to reference autism spectrum disorders, so I don't want to step on any toes. Wikipedia states that stimming is a way to reduce anxiety but we can't really rely on wikipedia for an issue like this so I'd be interested in hearing what you think! I will remain cautious about using that word, though, regardless.

Before I use my guitar, I always detune the E string and tune it back up, even if it was already in tune (it usually is). It's literally just that string that I do it with and there's no real reason to do so (unless I was actually tuning it, which I'm not in this case).

This is partly why I don't use locking heads, because I end up snapping the string by doing this and I don't actually mean to do it.

Ever since reading through and posting in this thread I've realized that nearly all my "quirks" are really just weird ways I cope with said anxiety

Yea, though I kind of knew that a lot of mine are that already.

I'm also not entirely sure whether I should call them 'ticks'. I feel more comfortable calling them habits.

I've always wondered whether it was in poor taste to refer to my own anxious tics and habits as stimming. They definition applies perfectly, but I know thw word "stimming" itself is usually used to reference autism spectrum disorders, so I don't want to step on any toes. Wikipedia states that stimming is a way to reduce anxiety but we can't really rely on wikipedia for an issue like this so I'd be interested in hearing what you think! I will remain cautious about using that word, though, regardless.

Stimming is usually only used in reference to something autistic, you're right. Though, it's an interesting point. When I twirl my hair or bite my shirt, it's sometimes a response of a panic attack which had nothing to do with a meltdown (most of the time, it is a stim, but there were a few cases where I've had a panic attack out of the blue and bit my shirt as a result).

It's still a way to calm down, so in that sense, it is a "stim". I personally don't see any reason for it to be autism-exclusive, or why there can't be panic/anxiety stimming.
Still, being cautious isn't a bad thing; if I didn't have ASD, I wouldn't use the term to describe what I do to calm myself when I have a panic attack...then again, I never thought of it as a term to be used outside of autism. It's certainly a curious topic.

That happens to me too. I think for me it's half anxiety or hyperactivity. The other half is me being bored and not knowing what to do with my hands so I start touching my face/neck lol. I guess I want to seem engaged when people are talking so I over do it and start moving my hands in weird ways. At the same time I don't want to seem like talking to a dead log so I'm not sure what to do. XD

I get that awkward feeling of not knowing how to present myself when talking to new people sometimes too!! Almost as if I'm self-conscious while talking to someone. Normally, if I'm just casually talking to a stranger/new person, I'll put one hand behind my back and hold my other elbow from the back (dunno if that even makes sense since I have no idea how to describe it, aha). Or if I'm in the mood to talk with my hands, then I'll do so.

I just feel as if it looks weird for me to be talking with my hands by my side, or kind of plain. As if you're some kind of cheap cartoon character, lacking animation. I don't know. =P

Last edited:
when my anxiety kicks in, i usually look at my phone a lot, touch my hair/face, or cross my arms really tightly. sometimes, when it's extra bad, i pick at my skin. not good at all. :\
i'm trying to get rid of some of these habits by biting my lip or holding my own hand, but it's not working that much.

here are a few, some i find quite annoying myself:

- touching my right earlobe. esp when im talking to anyone. don't know if that's genetic or w/e cuz my mum does it too. ppl think it's rlly cute though so idrc.

- tapping my foot/finger/any object to songs. dont usually notice this until i annoy the s--- off myself.

- flipping my hair, esp when i verbally rek ppl. obnoxious but true.

- talking to myself when studying/thinking. helps me absorb info

- spacing out. i do tht a lot when im outside. annoying af if you're walking on the streets tbh. dangerous too.

- lifting my left eyebrow at random times. doesnt annoy me much, i kinda like doing this esp when my eyebrows are on fleek.

I have ASD

I also have ASD, Didnt post about it because had no idea anyone would know what it was :p.

I am super bad at Eye contact, if im talking to anyone, i will go out of my way to avoid looking at their face, even down to closing my eyes to avoid it, I didnt even notice it was something weird untill a few people pointed it out.

I always have the urge to stand to the right of someone. Someone pointed it out recently and now I make an effort not to but they loudly announce it whenever I forget.

I have a habit of standing with my knees bent backwards instead of relaxed. I don't even know if that makes sense saying it like that lolz Cant say why I do it but people referred to it as "knee lock" or the awkward flamingo.

Having Tourette's, I've had plenty of ticks over the years. One of the most notable ones was one I had when I was about 6 or 7 - I'd made a strange noise in my throat every so often, which my parents used to describe as sounding like a cockerel or something. It was particularly annoying and embarrassing, but the more I thought about it and worried about it, the more I'd find myself doing it. Fortunately after a year or two of doing it, it disappeared, but it came back for about a year when I was 11... thankfully it's completely disappeared now, although my brothers and my mum still make reference to it to embarrass me from time to time.

A few years ago, I also had a weird tick where I'd jump slightly, which drove my family mad, as it would make the sofa shake if I was sitting on it.

One of the most recent ones I've had is constantly stroking my beard when people are talking to me, I try to not do it as much as I can, but it still often happens before I realise what I'm doing. Also, I stand and tap my right foot slightly when someone's talking to me. Also often lick or bite my lips while I'm talking or listening to someone.

Last edited:
while sitting on my computer when music is playing in my headphones i get up and walk in a circle and sit back down without noticing

It really depends on my state of mood. If I'm a nervous wreck, I tend to tap whatever is in my hand against the table or if there isn't one, my lap. Otherwise, I just start poking my nails against my palm unintentionally

Back