Do you have any weird "ticks?"

Ticks, habits, things you do without realizing it.

As an example, when I get bored and I'm in a good mood I start to sing, usually to myself and only when I'm alone, but it's something I just noticed a couple days ago.

You guys?

whenever i get water, i open the fridge and peek inside.

I have loads. I'm a ball of weird tics tbh. The ones that come to mind first though...

When I'm talking to someone online and I'm particularly anxious, I HAVE to make noise. Doesn't have to be actual words, and volume increases with anxiety, usually. If I'm especially nervous about their reply and I can see them typing back, that's when it's just the absolute worst and I have to take my hands off the keyboard and shake it out while making tons of noise. (I might as well just throw on a record and start singing/dancing tbh, it would be a lot less weird looking than what I normally do)

I wiggle a lot also. Like the people who constantly jiggle their leg, but I'm usually on a couch or in a bed (and I'm short af so my legs don't quite reach the ground most of the time anyway if I'm sitting properly in a chair, lol) I just wiggle back and forth a little. I've started bringing earbuds out with me so it looks like I'm bopping my head to music or something. I just need to move around a LOT, even if it's slight little movements like tapping my fingers or whatever.

...This makes me sound like a really antsy five year old omg

Also expressly anxiety-related: If I'm talking to someone I will drink until I'm sick. It gives me something to do with my hands (though I have a spinner ring for this purpose also) and an excuse to pause when I'm talking / cover my face and the like. My partner often has to actually take soda cans away from me because I don't realize it until I've already had waaay too much.

Not at all anxiety related (one of the rare ones haha) would be the fact that I bite my lower lip a ton. Dunno why, just always been something that I do.

I always check the cupboard and the fridge when I go past them. No reason, I barely even really eat anything so it's not to see if there's anything to eat. I just do and always have. It used to drive my mum crazy because she thought I was trying to be the food police or something.

TV volume always has to be on a multiple of 5 as well. It just irritates me for it to be anything else. No real reason for this, it just does. I dunno, anything that's not a multiple of 5 always seems louder or quieter than I want it to be.

I also bit the skin off my lips a lot...And I play with my lips a lot with my hands, generally covering my mouth.

It gives me something to do with my hands (though I have a spinner ring for this purpose also)

I have spinner rings for the same reason. I get really awkward speaking to people and being able to spin 'em and do something with my hands makes me feel better.

I have a bunch of weird ones while waiting on tables

I go through phases of saying certain catchphrases... whether its no worries, no problem, etc... I will probably say this 20 times to you if you are at my table
I click my pen rapidly when I'm standing around, super obnoxious
and I hunch over when I'm putting in a really long and complex order...

I'm sure people think i'm the most awkward thing ever hahaha

i tend to stutter and i talk to myself quite a lot. it's really embarassing, esp. at work...
i also need to have my hands busy somehow, if i'm not holding something or doing something it feels so weird.

I always check the cupboard and the fridge when I go past them. No reason, I barely even really eat anything so it's not to see if there's anything to eat. I just do and always have. It used to drive my mum crazy because she thought I was trying to be the food police or something.

TV volume always has to be on a multiple of 5 as well. It just irritates me for it to be anything else. No real reason for this, it just does. I dunno, anything that's not a multiple of 5 always seems louder or quieter than I want it to be.

I also bit the skin off my lips a lot...And I play with my lips a lot with my hands, generally covering my mouth.

I have spinner rings for the same reason. I get really awkward speaking to people and being able to spin 'em and do something with my hands makes me feel better.

I do that with the TV volume too!

And yeah, spinner rings are a life saver. Sometimes people look at them like "What the hell are you playing with?" but others think they're pretty cool, and then it's a conversation piece too so it works out on multiple levels :p

I pinch myself and/or look in the mirror a lot. The reason behind it is called depersonalization disorder. Anyone who doesn't know I have it just thinks I'm strange and/or vain.

I rub my dead skin off... it happens more when I am nervous, but it's kind of gross and I hate that I do it so much... =[

ok here are a few. i know this is a thread for things you dont really realize but if i dint realize them then how can i post them? so these are just ones ive adopted over the years

- tv volume on multiple of 5
- earphone labelled L goes in left ear, R goes in right ear, and they cant be tangled
- i used to grab tweezers and just pull out my facial hair whilst watching videos/listening to music (dont do it as much now)
- i cbf cleaning (atm anyway) so the stuff on my desk goes on my bed in the day so i can use my desk, and the stuff on my bed goes back to my desk at night so i can sleep. when it goes on my desk it has to be in a specific order/placement or else i can't sleep
- i have a very structured morning routine and if i dont follow it properly, or someone does something so i cant complete all the steps, it takes me longer to become awake
- if someone uses the microwave and doesnt let the timer run out and then dont reset the timer it makes me so mad i literally wanna pick my microwave up and throw it at the person who didnt reset the timer

if i think of more i will post

- if someone uses the microwave and doesnt let the timer run out and then dont reset the timer it makes me so mad i literally wanna pick my microwave up and throw it at the person who didnt reset the timer

My roommate does this every single time she uses the microwave and it makes me so friggin angry. I feel your pain.

I do this too! Even when it's just someone who I really like talking to and they talk to me, I'll get so happy and I'll usually get up and start smiling and pace around a bit.

I also tend to play with my hair when I don't have anything else to do with my hands so by the end of the day it probably usually looks sort of messy, and in the rare instances when I actually wear glasses I always try to push them up with my fingers even when they're already on.

I forgot to mention that I do this one when I get inspired or someone says something nice to me. Whenever I get excited about something on my laptop, I stand up, do a random speed walk loop of my bedroom, and then sit down and continue what I was doing like nothing happened.

Weird stuff you don't need to know... and when I am thinking, I read and take other people's ideas without noticing

- - - Post Merge - - -

ok here are a few. i know this is a thread for things you dont really realize but if i dint realize them then how can i post them? so these are just ones ive adopted over the years

- tv volume on multiple of 5, my mum needs it on an even number
- earphone labelled L goes in left ear, R goes in right ear, and they cant be tangled, yep
- i used to grab tweezers and just pull out my facial hair whilst watching videos/listening to music (dont do it as much now), when I was 7, I pulled out my eyebrow hairs for fun
- i cbf cleaning (atm anyway) so the stuff on my desk goes on my bed in the day so i can use my desk, and the stuff on my bed goes back to my desk at night so i can sleep. when it goes on my desk it has to be in a specific order/placement or else i can't sleep, yep
- i have a very structured morning routine and if i dont follow it properly, or someone does something so i cant complete all the steps, it takes me longer to become awake, not really, well....a tiny bit
- if someone uses the microwave and doesnt let the timer run out and then dont reset the timer it makes me so mad i literally wanna pick my microwave up and throw it at the person who didnt reset the timer, I don't care, unless it's my bro or mum who did it

if i think of more i will post

Okay

Major problems:
-When everybody acts overly sensitive about everything. Like, relax.
-People shoving their opinions down others' throats. You can argue your point a bit, but don't force it onto others.
-Specifically trying to annoy somebody. Nobody likes that, it's not necessary, and we all have better things to do.
-Jumping to conclusions. I've gotten into this situation countless times with teachers, and it's not right.
-Gossip. The things I've heard about other people could fill a Mean Girls burn book.
-Just because somebody goes through a tough time doesn't make them any less of a jerk.

Pet peeves:
-Overdoing selfies. I'm fine with like one or two selfies per day, but they're JUST SELFIES. They DON'T have a deeper meaning, so don't act like they do.
-Vacation pictures. The best way to get people jealous online.
-STOP TALKING. What part of it do you not understand? (I'm not even a teacher and this gives me hell.)

I unconsciously fiddle with everything I'm holding, suppose it helps me concentrate or distracts from nerves? If you hand me a bus ticket, within 10 seconds it'll be crinkled up >.<
Whenever I have to look in the mirror to do my hair or what have you, I have to have my arms covered, and a pillow covering my legs bc I'm so grossed out by myself :c
I also touch my earlobes/mess with my inner ear piercings a lot.

Major problems:
-When everybody acts overly sensitive about everything. Like, relax.
-People shoving their opinions down others' throats. You can argue your point a bit, but don't force it onto others.
-Specifically trying to annoy somebody. Nobody likes that, it's not necessary, and we all have better things to do.
-Jumping to conclusions. I've gotten into this situation countless times with teachers, and it's not right.
-Gossip. The things I've heard about other people could fill a Mean Girls burn book.
-Just because somebody goes through a tough time doesn't make them any less of a jerk.

Pet peeves:
-Overdoing selfies. I'm fine with like one or two selfies per day, but they're JUST SELFIES. They DON'T have a deeper meaning, so don't act like they do.
-Vacation pictures. The best way to get people jealous online.
-STOP TALKING. What part of it do you not understand? (I'm not even a teacher and this gives me hell.)

I think you misunderstood the thread topic. Annoyances aren't quirks that you have.

Back