The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

All of this! plus the fact that if vegetarians/vegans were to just shut up and 'be peaceful' about it, nothing would get done and the industries will never change, that's what animal rights activism is trying to do. Obviously, I personally don't go around talking to my meat-eating friends about this stuff, of course I don't :p - but when it's an appropriate situation, absolutely.

Actually, I feel like it's the opposite. The moment I order a salad or a veggie burger everyone jumps on me. "If we didn't eat the animals they would overrun the earth!" "Mmmmm my hamburger is so juicy and bloody I love meat mmmmm. Wanna bite?" " If God didn't want us to eat animals they wouldn't have made them out of meat!" "I love PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!"

Hurr hurr hurr. Most of the time meat eaters mistake their own discomfort with their eating choices as vegetarians 'shoving' their ethics down their throats. I mean, THEY'RE the ones who bring it up, not me!

- - - Post Merge - - -

So this Friday I am having vegan guests over for dinner and they are partial to eggplant, I love eggplant. I will definitely check out some recipes but I would like some of your input as to which direction I should be looking towards. Thanks in advance!

Hmm. We're you thinking about having eggplant as the main course? You could make a ratatouille or vegetable ragout. If you wanted to use it as a side you could make some baba ganoush and have falafel or another middle eastern/Mediterranean dish for the main course.

Or you could make dairy free eggplant Parmesan. That might be a little iffy or tricky though. I'm personally not a fan of cheese substitutes so I don't know.

Actually, I feel like it's the opposite. The moment I order a salad or a veggie burger everyone jumps on me. "If we didn't eat the animals they would overrun the earth!" "Mmmmm my hamburger is so juicy and bloody I love meat mmmmm. Wanna bite?" " If God didn't want us to eat animals they wouldn't have made them out of meat!" "I love PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!"

Hurr hurr hurr. Most of the time meat eaters mistake their own discomfort with their eating choices as vegetarians 'shoving' their ethics down their throats. I mean, THEY'RE the ones who bring it up, not me!

ooh that's awful! >.< I haven't had anything that bad from people myself, just the usual ''ahhh i couldn't live without meat, it's too good yada yada :rolleyes:''
And yeah, you have a point there!

Last edited:
ooh that's awful! >.< I haven't had anything that bad from people myself, just the usual ''ahhh i couldn't live without meat, it's too good yada yada :rolleyes:''
And yeah, you have a point there!

I live in the beef capital of the United States* so my experience might be a bit skewed! :p

My state is actually number 2 for production but that doesn't sound as impressive.

I live in the beef capital of the United States* so my experience might be a bit skewed! :p

My state is actually number 2 for production but that doesn't sound as impressive.

oh which state is that? I'm just in the UK so, maybe it is a little bit different :p
I had a friend from the US who was a vegetarian in texas, she got a reaaaaaaally hard time o.o

I'm not a Vegan/Vegetarian myself, but I do have an interest in the food c:

Just wanted to say though, the PETA sucks tbh
I wouldn't support them if I had to die; the scandals surrounding them are atrocious.

Last edited:
oh which state is that? I'm just in the UK so, maybe it is a little bit different :p
I had a friend from the US who was a vegetarian in texas, she got a reaaaaaaally hard time o.o

Nebraska. Unsurprisingly Texas is number one for beef production. :S

I'm not a Vegan/Vegetarian myself, but I do have an interest in the food c:

Just wanted to say though, the PETA sucks tbh
I wouldn't support them if I had to die; the scandals surrounding them are atrocious.

Absolutely, PETA is atrocious - I hate that they seem to be kind of the face of vegetarianism/veganism? :mad:

Absolutely, PETA is atrocious - I hate that they seem to be kind of the face of vegetarianism/veganism? :mad:

Exactly this.

I feel like Vegans/Vegeterians get a lot of hate sometimes simply because so many people associate them with the PETA??
It sucks that people generalize an entire group from some bat**** organization.

So this Friday I am having vegan guests over for dinner and they are partial to eggplant, I love eggplant. I will definitely check out some recipes but I would like some of your input as to which direction I should be looking towards. Thanks in advance!

If you are making eggplant your main dish, you could try this. It takes about 2 hours with your prep time. I usually skip the parsley garnish - well, most garnish honestly - and I've made this with cherry tomatoes and without. If you decide to go without, some other nice additions would be asparagus, bell peppers or cauliflower. Though thinking about it, you could do all of those with the eggplant for a vegetable medley kind of thing.

Also while looking at recipes I found this brinjal recipe that looks pretty amazing. The ingredient list includes a lot of spices that might require some hunting in your grocery store, depending on where you live. Both dishes can be served with basmati rice or couscous. You could also make bread bhatura or naan which is a bit easier than bhatura.

I also found a nice dessert that you could do and I think would finish off your meal quite nicely.

Hmm. We're you thinking about having eggplant as the main course? You could make a ratatouille or vegetable ragout. If you wanted to use it as a side you could make some baba ganoush and have falafel or another middle eastern/Mediterranean dish for the main course.

Or you could make dairy free eggplant Parmesan. That might be a little iffy or tricky though. I'm personally not a fan of cheese substitutes so I don't know.

I was aiming for it as a main dish so these are absolutely perfect, thank you! While looking at recipes for Ratatouille I found this variation called Confit Byaldi and it looks delicious. I only have one truly vegan dish in my back pocket, Couscous, so hopefully it'll go together haha. But thank you for your suggestions!

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you are making eggplant your main dish, you could try this. It takes about 2 hours with your prep time. I usually skip the parsley garnish - well, most garnish honestly - and I've made this with cherry tomatoes and without. If you decide to go without, some other nice additions would be asparagus, bell peppers or cauliflower. Though thinking about it, you could do all of those with the eggplant for a vegetable medley kind of thing.

Also while looking at recipes I found this brinjal recipe that looks pretty amazing. The ingredient list includes a lot of spices that might require some hunting in your grocery store, depending on where you live. Both dishes can be served with basmati rice or couscous. You could also make bread bhatura or naan which is a bit easier than bhatura.

I also found a nice dessert that you could do and I think would finish off your meal quite nicely.

That exotic Brinjal looks SO GOOD. Oh damn I might make that trek to the specialty market then. I love spice and I will try that even if I don't serve it on Friday! I like the thought of serving bread bhatura, I'll probably make some tonight for practice. Oh I love your suggestion of spongecake! It didn't cross my mind to make a dessert but I just might now.

That brinjal looks so good. I'm so hungry now.

You could also try your hand at Ethiopian food. What is the one stew with eggplants called. Wat? Wot? I don't remember.

That brinjal looks so good. I'm so hungry now.

You could also try your hand at Ethiopian food. What is the one stew with eggplants called. Wat? Wot? I don't remember.

Ohhhh yeah! I think it's something wot, don't quote me on that. I remember having that once a while back when I visited Washington DC, it was a red stew-looking dish if my memory is correct. You're making me so hungry right now; this salad is not cutting it for me.

Last edited:

That happens too. But don't act like you guys are completely innocent: I know several vegetarians who like to do that. So both sides do it and just blame each other. It's horrible. Of course, I'm not judging you guys, I know completely where you're coming from. But you act like you're completely innocent of trying to convince others to convert to your eating habits.

- - - Post Merge - - -

All they do nowadays is point fingers at fictional characters for not representing an ethic image of animal cruelty. Maybe that's why everybody is fed up with vegans, they think they're all PETA. Vegans are some of the nicest people I've ever met, and PETA knocks it to the ground.

CM_PETA_MKA_wallpaper_widescreen.jpg

Peta makes some good games though. Bought this for my 3DS.

Oh my god I loved that game. Nothing is more fun than pulling feathers and guts out of a turkey!

I'm kidding but really not. That game was more fun than the real Cooking Mama.

I have to say, i like eating meat, but im compleatly respectful of other peoples belifes, and that if i am around a vegetarian, i dont eat meat around them.

I have to say, i like eating meat, but im compleatly respectful of other peoples belifes, and that if i am around a vegetarian, i dont eat meat around them.

Wait, do you ask everyone in a so-so mile radius if they're vegetarian and if anyone is you leave? Or only if you're at a vegatarian's house?

Wait, do you ask everyone in a so-so mile radius if they're vegetarian and if anyone is you leave? Or only if you're at a vegatarian's house?

No, i just only eat meat when im at home, and if anyone comes over, i find out if they are vegetarian/vegan, and will change my meal plans, it may seem weird, but its how i like to do it.

No, i just only eat meat when im at home, and if anyone comes over, i find out if they are vegetarian/vegan, and will change my meal plans, it may seem weird, but its how i like to do it.

That is incredibly thoughtful! I would never expect someone to do that for me but that shows you really care for your friends. Mega kudos!

Back