• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

Bowie

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Gold Trophy (First Place)
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
fdrdQl9.png

Hello everyone! Welcome to a revised edition of The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread (first created in 2015, to my surprise)!

I myself am a vegan, and I've always believed that animals (and even the smaller creatures, such as bugs and insects) do not deserve to used for our own purposes. I'm also aware that there many people here who enjoy cooking, so this could also be considered a thread for vegan and vegetarian diets. Even if you're not a vegan or vegetarian, you can still civilly discuss the subject.

Considering how easily this thread may go nuts, I'd appreciate it if you all kept away from the more controversial matters, such as the meat industry and extreme animal cruelty. I follow these matters closely, but they're a bit too inappropriate for this place, I think. Anyway, enjoy!

Recipes

Reasons to Go Vegan

Nutrition and Protein Guide

The Vegan Society

RUU_0023.JPG

Last edited:
I've been a vegetarian since 14 - so 15 years now. My husband is a vegan and I think he's been for 16 or 17 years.

285434.jpg
Spicy Vegan Potato Curry
I made this last night and I highly recommend it!

Good idea for a thread! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, since I was 12. :) The egg+milk industries are just as cruel and disgusting as the meat ones though, and I've been thinking of going vegan for a while now... problem is I do a lot of baking, and not sure what I could use as replacements :confused:

Good idea for a thread! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, since I was 12. :) The egg+milk industries are just as cruel and disgusting as the meat ones though, and I've been thinking of going vegan for a while now... problem is I do a lot of baking, and not sure what I could use as replacements :confused:

Yeah, I bake a lot too. There are tons of vegan baking options but they're hard to obtain, and you really have to know the specific purpose of each one.

Have you considered trying soya?

Last edited:

This is why I haven't gone fully vegan just yet. Around where I live we have a lot of farmer's markets and I usually buy eggs from them if I can (prices are of course higher than supermarkets).

Have you considered trying soya?

Have this handy chart for baking substitutes :3

I'm not a huge fan of PETA in general, but this chart is rather accurate. I would say, for anything with buttermilk, the best substitute is almond milk. If a recipe calls for buttermilk, almond is usually my go-to ingredient.

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years except for a one year lapse about 6 years ago. It might sound stupid but eating meat again was actually a good thing for me. I started to realize that I was eating things like hamburgers and such out of convenience or routine, not because I enjoyed them. And I definitely was aware of how they ended up on my plate. Before I would crave meat and wonder what it tasted like (since I had forgotten) but it didn't live up to the hype. Now I can almost certainly say that I will never eat meat again now. :)

I'm def not a vegan/vegetarian by any means but y'all got some good food. Vegan food always leaves me more satisfied with my meal than meat stuff. I can't really imagine not eating meat ever again. I feel like it would be very hard to do with the people in my life. Especially my bf he teases me about eating any veggies "y u get that rabbit food?!" meanwhile he over orders for himself at McDonalds *facepalm*
But anytime people talk about how easy it is to be a vegetarian I'm like "hmm... this sounds yummy" haha. I'd only be doing it for myself, I don't need to lose weight (good lord i do not)

actually my landlord is a vegetarian, he's always cooking something that smells good. Which is weird cause when do people's cooking from other apts smell good? Usually it's like Mexican farts and whatnot.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention ! I've already replaced milk with almond milk hooray~ :D it's mainly eggs I have to figure out.. also does anyone have any recs for vegan friendly snacks and the like?

Have this handy chart for baking substitutes :3

I'm not a huge fan of PETA in general, but this chart is rather accurate. I would say, for anything with buttermilk, the best substitute is almond milk. If a recipe calls for buttermilk, almond is usually my go-to ingredient.

Even though I hate PETA, this is a really helpful chart, ty! I'd never have thought you could use some of these to replace eggs. <3

Last edited:
Please, don't bring PETA if you want a flame-free zone, really.

Get a more legit source than that, honestly.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I've been considering becoming at least vegetarian for a long time. My biggest worry has always been the fact I'm a fussy eater. I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread to see if any more interesting recipes are posted or anymore alternatives to animal products that I'm unfamiliar with. I don't even like curry but Akabetty's spicy vegan potato one looks delicious.

Last edited:
I totally support you guys! I am not vegan or something (I love to eat meat i am sorry!) but i respect your opinions! I wouldn't be able to live without my meat!

My relationship with PETA changes often. On one hand, I love what they do. They expose the happenings in meat production and fashion and they have succeeded on many occasions with stopping these operations, which I support entirely. On the other hand, there's all the controversy surrounding them and that one dog incident I'm sure everyone has heard about by now.

Last edited:
My relationship with PETA changes often. On one hand, I love what they do. They expose the happenings in meat production and fashion and they have succeeded on many occasions with stopping these operations, which I support entirely. On the other hand, there's all the controversy surrounding them and that one dog incident I'm sure everyone has heard about by now.
I agree with you completely! They do lots of great things exactly what you said! But personally sometimes I think they go a little too far. (I haven't heard the dog incedent, though. May you tell me?)

I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I've been considering becoming at least vegetarian for a long time. My biggest worry has always been the fact I'm a fussy eater. I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread to see if any more interesting recipes are posted or anymore alternatives to animal products that I'm unfamiliar with. I don't even like curry but Akabetty's spicy vegan potato one looks delicious.

I suggest becoming vegan/vegetarian! There's many great alternatives! I'm sure you'll find something that you'll like! :)

I've been vegetarian ever since birth (so I've been vegetarian for 19 years). I'm thinking about going vegan, but I'm not quite sure. >.<

I decided to give up eggs today because they don't taste good anymore. So, yay for half-veganism!

Moddie, don't worry! If you wanna do it you should give it a stab! I was such a fusspot with food before but now im a vegetarian ive been inspired to try new foods and make some of my own :) I own several cookbooks and make something that I wouldn't have usually tried regularly:) Last night I made a cheese souffl? and it turned out surprisingly well!

My sister was a vegetarian, I would be one because well...you're eating a animal! but meat is sogood!

- - - Post Merge - - -

My sister was a vegetarian, I would be one because well...you're eating a animal! but meat is sogood!

Anyone get the KFC reference? no? okay...

Back