• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

I've been losing 2-5lbs a day recently (it does vary) ;) I actually feel really great. My body feels really great, but I'm breaking out really bad. Not sure if it's normal or not, but I've never had such a bad breakout my entire life. Hoping it passes :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

My dad bought some falafels and I did a double take at the packet because it tasted like pork! (The best I can describe it is the outside of a scotch egg. I used to take off the outside and just eat the egg lol) Not too sure how I feel about them, but I guess they could be great for people who are mid-transition.

Thank you! We do have a store that sells meat and I'm pretty sure it is local. I do eat meat, but I am not much of a fan of milk, cheese(sometimes like on pizza but not just eating plain cheese), and stuff like that. Milk (unless its chocolate milk) leaves a cheesy taste in my mouth, and I think it is repulsive IMO (sometimes I do have a craving for it though). Our kroger and meijer also sells cruelty free, non gmo, grass fed beef. I plan on buying it if i get this job(i'd get discounted too, because my interview is for kroger). I kind of "let myself go" when it has come to my diet lately. But I am also pretty sensitive to what I eat as well. My dad has barretts disease and he found this out late in life, I feel like I could have the same issue, because some foods go right through me and make me feel like absolute garbage.

I have no idea what I will do in the future, but I know that I don't plan on buying leather any time soon, unless I KNOW the animal was dead first. That is why I refuse to wear uggs. (other than the fact that they're fugly)

You were so kind! The people I see all over youtube (I enjoy reading comments) give reasons why you should, and how it is possible even if you "don't have the money" and how you will "feel so much better"... They say how it is possible. When for some people it isn't. Because like me, I don't have a job, I can't just say "yeah mom I'm vegan now so you have to buy foods based around MY diet" it just doesn't work that way. And they will just attack you for every little thing... They act like vegan is how it SHOULD be. Eating meat has been around since before civilization, people had no choice to kill animals, but they used every part. Bones to make weapons, the fur and skin to keep warm, the meat, every little part got used up. That is what I don't have a problem with. What I have a problem with is factory farming, that is where most meat comes from. I have no problem if the animals have great lives, and die of old age. Or if they use every little bit of the animal. They just live their lives in cages to die...

The most expensive steak you can buy, comes from a cow that is massaged (yep, they give them body massages) and treated like family. And only a select few places in america sell the authentic thing, if they don't have a certificate they're lying, and is most likely just a normal steak.

Factory farming is heinous, there is no reason to give baby chickens hormones. They suffer, their organs grow to be so huge for their bodies, that sometimes they cannot walk, and just lay there, get stepped on, and eventually die....

Kroger is fantastic. I hope you get the job! That's actually where I bought my vegan food when I couldn't drive far enough for a Whole Foods. But Thrive takes care of a lot of my needs now since it often is cheaper and it delivers directly home.

Sorry to hear about your dad's condition. I hope you are able to avoid it. Yeah, my stomach is really sensitive too. I'm lactose intolerant, have a hard time processing larger quantities of gluten, can't really eat pork, and can't eat beef very well (unless it is at least partially grass-fed, I think possibly because they don't get pumped with antibiotics and whatnot like the factory farmed cows.) Honestly, I am thankful I struggle to digest these meats, because it forces me to eat less of it.

It is; factory farming is ethically disgusting. There's a movement that's along the lines you mentioned, called "nose-to-tail", in which people eat up all parts, including the organs, as not to waste anything if possible. I remember hearing that Native Americans would apologize or thank the animals they hunted for their meat and warmth and whatnot. I can appreciate that. Based on my personal beliefs, I think we were all originally meant to be vegetarians, but over time and the way things went with the world, meat became a food source for humans and we adapted. But, even so, factory farming was not a part of what is okay according to the God I believe in, and I strongly disagree with the practice regardless. Lots of people have different beliefs on whether they think we were made for meat consumption or not though and for various reasons, and I'm not willing to jump into any debates about that kind of thing. My point in my diet is animal welfare.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the militant veg*ns are that way because they are bitter over seeing such injustice in farms large-scale, and they have only really met people who have failed a vegetarian diet because they missed the taste of meat or came across a common and addressable problem with the diet. Not to excuse them for being rude!

I'm sure the cows enjoy the massages!

Last edited:
Kroger is fantastic. I hope you get the job! That's actually where I bought my vegan food when I couldn't drive far enough for a Whole Foods. But Thrive takes care of a lot of my needs now since it often is cheaper and it delivers directly home.

Sorry to hear about your dad's condition. I hope you are able to avoid it. Yeah, my stomach is really sensitive too. I'm lactose intolerant, have a hard time processing larger quantities of gluten, can't really eat pork, and can't eat beef very well (unless it is at least partially grass-fed, I think possibly because they don't get pumped with antibiotics and whatnot like the factory farmed cows.) Honestly, I am thankful I struggle to digest these meats, because it forces me to eat less of it.

It is; factory farming is ethically disgusting. There's a movement that's along the lines you mentioned, called "nose-to-tail", in which people eat up all parts, including the organs, as not to waste anything if possible. I remember hearing that Native Americans would apologize or thank the animals they hunted for their meat and warmth and whatnot. I can appreciate that. Based on my personal beliefs, I think we were all originally meant to be vegetarians, but over time and the way things went with the world, meat became a food source for humans and we adapted. But, even so, factory farming was not a part of what is okay according to the God I believe in, and I strongly disagree with the practice regardless. Lots of people have different beliefs on whether they think we were made for meat consumption or not though and for various reasons, and I'm not willing to jump into any debates about that kind of thing. My point in my diet is animal welfare.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the militant veg*ns are that way because they are bitter over seeing such injustice in farms large-scale, and they have only really met people who have failed a vegetarian diet because they missed the taste of meat or came across a common and addressable problem with the diet. Not to excuse them for being rude!

My issue with Factory farming is how cruel it is. Nit to mention, people are making money off of another living thing's body. When you think about it in that way, it makes me feel horrible.

I view it as an overfishing kind of thing. I feel like those companies are killing more animals than needed. Imagine being the animal that has its body thrown out cause it expired due to no one buying it? It's just messed up to me.

A lot of vegans don't even like vegetarians in general. I can tolerate them.

I'm sure the cows enjoy the massages before being murdered too.

?? Most vegans are bigots who hate all non vegans what.

Most vegans hate vegetarians for the sole reason that they ain't woke enough or something. Everyone starts off somewhere.

I can't stand the failed veg*ns that fall back into an omni diet because they missed the taste of meat and pull the shutters back over their eyes. That's all I have to say on that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you've ever been in a vegan (I say vegan because there's a difference between vegan and plant-based) Facebook group, you will know what I mean.

main-qimg-20007d9a0e464985a01b3e5d1c2b03b6

over time, i've been more inclined to hit the right button.

Most vegans hate vegetarians for the sole reason that they ain't woke enough or something. Everyone starts off somewhere.

I can't stand the failed veg*ns that fall back into an omni diet because they missed the taste of meat and pull the shutters back over their eyes. That's all I have to say on that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you've ever been in a vegan (I say vegan because there's a difference between vegan and plant-based) Facebook group, you will know what I mean.
Sounds more like you surround yourself with negative and hateful people.

Sounds more like you surround yourself with negative and hateful people.

sounds more like im in a facebook group with likeminded people but oke

- - - Post Merge - - -

Saw a stupid "less meat and dairy diet" (can't remember what it's called but I saw it in a vegan humour group) that claims to be cruelty-free because you're lessening the suffering of animals by eating less. But honey, if you're eating animals, you're contributing to their suffering.

Last edited:
sounds more like im in a facebook group with likeminded people but oke

- - - Post Merge - - -

Saw a stupid "less meat and dairy diet" (can't remember what it's called but I saw it in a vegan humour group) that claims to be cruelty-free because you're lessening the suffering of animals by eating less. But honey, if you're eating animals, you're contributing to their suffering.
Ah. So you joined an echo chamber, and now you think everyone thinks the same way.

Ah. So you joined an echo chamber, and now you think everyone thinks the same way.

The rude vegans and vegetarians are the reason why I hated all vegans and vegetarians for years. I knew two vegetarians who were really rude to me about eating meat so I had a negative view on them. Boy was a I wrong. Not all vegans and vegetarians are nutjobs. I now know a bunch irl who are totally chill and really nice.

The rude vegans and vegetarians are the reason why I hated all vegans and vegetarians for years. I knew two vegetarians who were really rude to me about eating meat so I had a negative view on them. Boy was a I wrong. Not all vegans and vegetarians are nutjobs. I now know a bunch irl who are totally chill and really nice.
I was scared to tell my friends and see how they'd react. Turns out, no one really cares all that much. People are pretty good at letting everyone have their personal choices.

just curious if there are any vegan cheese that is good and taste like well.... the real thing lol or close to it.

just curious if there are any vegan cheese that is good and taste like well.... the real thing lol or close to it.

I might be a bad judge, since I haven't really eaten cheese in a long time, but Violife is a brand I've tried that has a very good parmesan-style wedge, and I thought it was similar enough. Also, I hear a lot of good things about Miyoko's, which has plenty of different styles. (These are in the U.S., by the way.) Anyway, I think it's difficult to replicate taste completely, so you may need to let your taste buds adjust or pick ones that taste good and pairs well with whatever you're using it for, regardless of cheesy flavour. That's what I do, at least.

Hoping someone else chimes in~!

TBH you won?t ever find something exactly like real cheese because of the addictive casomorphines in it but.. I?d say my favorites are:
-follow your heart brand is really good for cheese slices for grilled cheese, sandwiches, American cheese to melt on burgers etc
-chao cheese, tomato cayenne for a good flavored cheese. Follow your heart smoked Gouda is also a delicious flavored cheese
-daiya mozzarella shreds is perfect for vegan pizza, it melts really nicely

These are all good! All I?m saying is, don?t hold it to the high expectations of dairy based cheese because you?ll always be disappointed, but without comparing them they?re sooo delicious!

Sup, I?m vegan. I hate animal cruelty and people who reply with MMMM BACON THO whenever you share a dish that doesn?t have meat or cheese in it. Also I love cooking spicy vegetable meals!

Sup, I’m vegan. I hate animal cruelty and people who reply with MMMM BACON THO whenever you share a dish that doesn’t have meat or cheese in it. Also I love cooking spicy vegetable meals!

Do share a recepie. I'm not vegan but I do enjoy vegan dishes from time to time. They are light and easy to make without sacrificing taste. Preferably one without legumes. I got some digestive issues with those.

TBH you won?t ever find something exactly like real cheese because of the addictive casomorphines in it but.. I?d say my favorites are:
-follow your heart brand is really good for cheese slices for grilled cheese, sandwiches, American cheese to melt on burgers etc
-chao cheese, tomato cayenne for a good flavored cheese. Follow your heart smoked Gouda is also a delicious flavored cheese
-daiya mozzarella shreds is perfect for vegan pizza, it melts really nicely

Oh oh oh! And if making your own vegan pizza, if a cheese doesn't melt very well, I found that spraying a little bit of oil on it can help! Personally, I prefer Follow Your Heart for pizza than Daiya, but both are good.

Oh oh oh! And if making your own vegan pizza, if a cheese doesn't melt very well, I found that spraying a little bit of oil on it can help! Personally, I prefer Follow Your Heart for pizza than Daiya, but both are good.

I really wanna try follow your heart on pizza because it?s such a good brand! But I live in a smaller town without a lot of choices. Do they have shreds? I?ve seen follow your heart mozzarella slices, but I didn?t know if it would melt that well on pizza.

Back