The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

I'm actually curious as to what the vegan water joke means, exactly. Obviously there's no such thing as vegan water, but is that supposed to imply there's supposed to be a vegan alternative for everything? I seriously don't get that.

Anyway, yeah, I'm glad that everything's good here still!

I'm actually curious as to what the vegan water joke means, exactly. Obviously there's no such thing as vegan water, but is that supposed to imply there's supposed to be a vegan alternative for everything? I seriously don't get that.

It was a failed attempt to make a "hilarious" joke, I think.

Thats a fish's house you *******. :mad:

I feel pretty upset about what always happens whenever I tell my family about the cool foods my bf and I make.

My bf is vegan but I am not. Whenever I eat with him I eat vegan because I want to learn more about the diet and widen my diet. So anyway, yesterday I came home all excited because we had successfully made a big mac pizza. It was AMAZING!! Legit was the best pizza I had ever had! I wanted my family to try it, even if we didn't make it vegan. Whenever I say ingredients, I don't say "vegan cheese, vegan ground beef, etc" cause it's too long to say and my mom already knows my bf is vegan so there shouldn't be any confusion. So I told her the ingredients and she said this to me with a snooty tone "oh, he eats beef now?" I was like "no, veggie beef but it tastes the exact same as real beef so it was good." And she just kinda dismissed me afterwards. I dunno what I said to trigger her but this happens whenever I tell her a recipe we made. My brother acts the same way but outright says that vegan food is disgusting, even though he hasn't ever had any before.

It's just upsetting that they are so rudr about it. My bf is nothing but respectful to them eating animals and animal products when he comes over for dinner but they make snide comments to me about it. My mom doesn't say them to his face but my brother will and my bf shakes it off. Not aure if it bothers him or not. I dunno, I just feel kinda awful.

All I was trying to do was to bring cool recipes to my house. I wasn't intending to brag about vegan food being better than non vegan food. Maybe it comes across that way? I dunno. I guess I just won't say anything to them anymore. I really do want them to try the big mac pizza though. Like oh my god, it's the best but oh well.

Just needed to vent.

I started drinking vegan water recently. I have to say it was a lot better than I expected!

not sure if you were trying to be funny but you weren't

- - - Post Merge - - -

Excellent post Bowie.

Animals should be able to live freely like Humans, it's as simple as that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

What are your favourite vegan/vegetarian foods?

I like making my own sushi with avocados, peppers, tomatoes, ect. And also sweet potato chips/fries.

There's a chippy up in Scotland that makes vegan fish and chips on Tuesdays. Like, EVERYTHING you'd get at the chippy, but vegan (battered ''sausage'', pie, the obvious ''fish'' and chips, ect). Just a little PSA for those up in the North of England/Scotland :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

Totally forgot, I'm two weeks 100% vegan today! Gonna treat myself today with a tofu scramble with 'cheese' and mushrooms.:)

Last edited:
Been vegetarian my entire life. My best friend is vegetarian as well so that's just another thing we have in common. He tried going vegan a few times and went back to just vegetarian shortly after every time and I've never tried it myself, I need mah dairy. But meat is more than a bit disturbing to me in a few ways and I'd be glad if I never had to eat it.
The only exception is in video games, then I don't care at all. I'll eat every single digital animal. :lemon:

Has anyone tried a vegan/vegetarian Thai green curry or Thai red curry?

It usually has chicken in it, ew.

Last edited:
Been vegetarian my entire life. My best friend is vegetarian as well so that's just another thing we have in common. He tried going vegan a few times and went back to just vegetarian shortly after every time and I've never tried it myself, I need mah dairy. But meat is more than a bit disturbing to me in a few ways and I'd be glad if I never had to eat it.
The only exception is in video games, then I don't care at all. I'll eat every single digital animal. :lemon:

My best friend and I were vegetarian at the same time and for a long time too. It was great because she loved cooking, and I loved eating her food. :'D I kind of miss that, but it's okay.

I haven't really known many people to grow up vegetarian. There was just this one kid who I think was vegan since birth, following suit of his mother. Is everyone in your family vegetarian too or part of your family?

tumblr_npxc2yyixh1tzue9go1_1280.jpg

ice cold killaz

- - - Post Merge - - -

Has anyone tried a vegan/vegetarian Thai green curry or Thai red curry?

It usually has chicken in it, ew.

I've made a similar Thai green curry with tofu before. It was pretty nice.
But you've gotta make sure that the paste you use doesn't contain shrimp or fish. Because fish are animals.

[snip]So I told her the ingredients and she said this to me with a snooty tone "oh, he eats beef now?" I was like "no, veggie beef but it tastes the exact same as real beef so it was good." And she just kinda dismissed me afterwards. I dunno what I said to trigger her but this happens whenever I tell her a recipe we made. My brother acts the same way but outright says that vegan food is disgusting, even though he hasn't ever had any before.[snip]
My mom was like this for quite a while, and still is to some of the things I eat, but it's super funny how she looks all disgusted at it and then finally tries it and then loves it instantly. For instance I am completely in love with this Gardein brand Orange Chick'N and every time I would make it she'd say that it smelt good, and I'd offer her a piece and she'd be like "Ew no!" well one day she was walking by and finally wanted a piece of it, so I let her have one and she came back a minute later asking for another piece, then again, and again, ate like half my dang chick'n chunks! She freaking loved it, loved the texture and flavor and I was like "Mhm, sure is gross right?" like obviously I wouldn't be eating it if it was gross, you'd think they would understand that.

I was vegetarian for around 3 years, because I read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (honestly, this is the first and only book that made me throw up. Seriously. Do not read unless you want to ruin everything). The only reason I'm not a vegetarian by name is because the rest of my family eats meat, and it was hard for them to try to accommodate for my diet as well. So I slowly went back to eating fish, and then other meat. I still don't prefer it, and I eat mostly vegetarian just by habit, but I do eat meat now.
It's entirely personal preference, and I think everyone should be respected for what they do or don't eat.

I think I'm gonna start going vegetarian. Possibly full vegan.

Hi :)
A few months ago I was hell bent on going vegan. I use animal products.. I am guilty:/ But i decided to stop buying anything leather, and if my cosmetics aren't labeled cruelty free I refuse to buy them. (unless I need to buy shoes for this job I might get, vans and converse will rub my feet raw and i wear kid sizes, so normally they're oversized on me.. or too small, no inbetween...)

Where I'm from there isn't many vegan options and it is very expensive. One avocado can cost 2 dollars. Oranges are a dollar each. (for example)
I also have bonding on my two front teeth, and I can't eat anything acidic, or colored (fruit for example) on a daily basis or my two front teeth will turn yellow, and they wont match the rest of my teeth... (they're the whitest color they had to match, at least that's what my dentist said) I already got them fixed from being chipped twice, after I got them done the first time.

My dads buddy owns a health food store, he is vegan, but everything is expensive. I plan on going there when I start working for some healthy stuff. His brother (also my dads best friend) is such a nice guy, that in my dads gym, he captured and released a wasp with a cup and paper. They are the epitome of kind.<3 He is why I love hummus, I went over when him and my dad were playing guitar and he left out vegan snacks, they were way better than any genetically modified, preserved chips I could buy!

I eat junk food every now and then but I would say my taste is overall healthy. I ate full vegan for a week and I never felt so deprived and hungry in my life. My dad told me he tried the diet before and almost passed out and had to go back to eating meat.

Don't say "oh you guys didn't do it right" because the vegan diet isn't for everyone. I wish it was for me but it just isn't.
My dad was 100 lbs overweight when he was young, his doctor told him he was going to die and he changed his life, and never went back ever since. He went on to becoming a eighth degree black belt, he taught kick boxing and karate, and sometimes he would make diet plans for people.

He was surprised at all I knew about dieting and becoming vegan. He was so surprised he said I should try to make a job out of giving diet advice. I'm also that one person my friends come to advice for about dieting. Before I gained my weight back I had a toned stomach and really muscular thighs. And that was honestly thanks to meat (and boxing, biking). I realized if I don't eat it, I get weak and sick, and dizzy. I also know of multiple vegan protein alternatives, so don't tell me (like I said again) that I don't do it right. Spurlina (spelling?), kale, peanuts, and our target sells vegan protein bars (idk what they're called target gave them to my bf for free for advertising)

I wasn't following a vegan diet but when I was 17 I didn't eat that much meat for a period of time. I ended up bruising all over my body. I had up to 28 bruises at most on one leg alone. Nobody batted an eye (except my dad and bf) they thought it was normal.

I bawl my eyes out whenever I think of animals dying. I hate it. I still cry about my dog who died five years ago. I truly believe animals and bugs are equal. I refuse to kill spiders anymore either.

Sometimes changing your lifestyle you grew up with is hard. I grew up healthy as it is. My dad forced all these vitamins, and other health foods on me. For two months straight he refused to let me go to the end of the driveway to catch the bus until I took these damn 100 dollar vitamins he bought....

I also remember growing up, always seeing him eat a salad daily that consisted of spinach, carrots, tomato, any other veggies we had and apple cider vinegar. I also never seen him go above 1,500 cals a day.

My first day of sixth grade I stood outside. I live right by a pig slaughtering house, and I heard the pigs squealing. My boyfriend applied for there (NOT FOR KILLING FOR STOCKING TRUCKS. AND HIS TWO CHILDHOOD FRIENDS WORK THERE. ONE KILLS ONE STOCKS) so ik that they usually (SICK RIGHT?) die instantly.. They are supposed to jam a machete in their neck. So whoever was there that day was torturing the pigs as they died. And thats all I heard waiting for the bus... I am still scarred by it honestly... Pigs are wonderful animals and make great pets... Our local fairs are also depressing, because this is a farm area, they get animals like rabbits, pigs, cows, and as a child I would ask my mom why they were there. And well she told me even the rabbits were going to be killed for meat. And it literally effected how I slept for three days.....

I wish it wasn't so hard for me, I also wish it wasn't so expensive either. That is kind of why just blew it off, other than me not feeling satisfied and weak. I even tried some pasta with tomato sauce I home made myself. As an Italian, it was the worst thing I ever ate and didn't even satisfy me :/ then I ate half of a pineapple and I still was hungry.
The closest thing we have is whole foods in CLE over an hour away, and a trader joes thats 45 minutes away.
My dads friends health food store is pretty small, but they sell things like juices, oils, things for cooking, and some snacks. Not actual every day food.

I really salute all of you who are vegan (as long as you don't treat others badly for their choices, then my salute will change to a middle finger)

I feel like a piece of **** sometimes when I eat meat....

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't know if this is correct but I was told by a health guru it is my blood type, and that some people just CANT go vegan. But Im not sure how accurate that is.

Oh and I also refuse to buy honey(or anything with honey), we need to save the bees!

Last edited:
Hi :)
A few months ago I was hell bent on going vegan. I use animal products.. I am guilty:/ But i decided to stop buying anything leather, and if my cosmetics aren't labeled cruelty free I refuse to buy them. (unless I need to buy shoes for this job I might get, vans and converse will rub my feet raw and i wear kid sizes, so normally they're oversized on me.. or too small, no inbetween...)

Where I'm from there isn't many vegan options and it is very expensive. One avocado can cost 2 dollars. Oranges are a dollar each. (for example)
I also have bonding on my two front teeth, and I can't eat anything acidic, or colored (fruit for example) on a daily basis or my two front teeth will turn yellow, and they wont match the rest of my teeth... (they're the whitest color they had to match, at least that's what my dentist said) I already got them fixed from being chipped twice, after I got them done the first time.

My dads buddy owns a health food store, he is vegan, but everything is expensive. I plan on going there when I start working for some healthy stuff. His brother (also my dads best friend) is such a nice guy, that in my dads gym, he captured and released a wasp with a cup and paper. They are the epitome of kind.<3 He is why I love hummus, I went over when him and my dad were playing guitar and he left out vegan snacks, they were way better than any genetically modified, preserved chips I could buy!

I eat junk food every now and then but I would say my taste is overall healthy. I ate full vegan for a week and I never felt so deprived and hungry in my life. My dad told me he tried the diet before and almost passed out and had to go back to eating meat.

Don't say "oh you guys didn't do it right" because the vegan diet isn't for everyone. I wish it was for me but it just isn't.
My dad was 100 lbs overweight when he was young, his doctor told him he was going to die and he changed his life, and never went back ever since. He went on to becoming a eighth degree black belt, he taught kick boxing and karate, and sometimes he would make diet plans for people.

He was surprised at all I knew about dieting and becoming vegan. He was so surprised he said I should try to make a job out of giving diet advice. I'm also that one person my friends come to advice for about dieting. Before I gained my weight back I had a toned stomach and really muscular thighs. And that was honestly thanks to meat (and boxing, biking). I realized if I don't eat it, I get weak and sick, and dizzy. I also know of multiple vegan protein alternatives, so don't tell me (like I said again) that I don't do it right. Spurlina (spelling?), kale, peanuts, and our target sells vegan protein bars (idk what they're called target gave them to my bf for free for advertising)

I wasn't following a vegan diet but when I was 17 I didn't eat that much meat for a period of time. I ended up bruising all over my body. I had up to 28 bruises at most on one leg alone. Nobody batted an eye (except my dad and bf) they thought it was normal.

I bawl my eyes out whenever I think of animals dying. I hate it. I still cry about my dog who died five years ago. I truly believe animals and bugs are equal. I refuse to kill spiders anymore either.

Sometimes changing your lifestyle you grew up with is hard. I grew up healthy as it is. My dad forced all these vitamins, and other health foods on me. For two months straight he refused to let me go to the end of the driveway to catch the bus until I took these damn 100 dollar vitamins he bought....

I also remember growing up, always seeing him eat a salad daily that consisted of spinach, carrots, tomato, any other veggies we had and apple cider vinegar. I also never seen him go above 1,500 cals a day.

My first day of sixth grade I stood outside. I live right by a pig slaughtering house, and I heard the pigs squealing. My boyfriend applied for there (NOT FOR KILLING FOR STOCKING TRUCKS. AND HIS TWO CHILDHOOD FRIENDS WORK THERE. ONE KILLS ONE STOCKS) so ik that they usually (SICK RIGHT?) die instantly.. They are supposed to jam a machete in their neck. So whoever was there that day was torturing the pigs as they died. And thats all I heard waiting for the bus... I am still scarred by it honestly... Pigs are wonderful animals and make great pets... Our local fairs are also depressing, because this is a farm area, they get animals like rabbits, pigs, cows, and as a child I would ask my mom why they were there. And well she told me even the rabbits were going to be killed for meat. And it literally effected how I slept for three days.....

I wish it wasn't so hard for me, I also wish it wasn't so expensive either. That is kind of why just blew it off, other than me not feeling satisfied and weak. I even tried some pasta with tomato sauce I home made myself. As an Italian, it was the worst thing I ever ate and didn't even satisfy me :/ then I ate half of a pineapple and I still was hungry.
The closest thing we have is whole foods in CLE over an hour away, and a trader joes thats 45 minutes away.
My dads friends health food store is pretty small, but they sell things like juices, oils, things for cooking, and some snacks. Not actual every day food.

I really salute all of you who are vegan (as long as you don't treat others badly for their choices, then my salute will change to a middle finger)

I feel like a piece of **** sometimes when I eat meat....

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't know if this is correct but I was told by a health guru it is my blood type, and that some people just CANT go vegan. But Im not sure how accurate that is.

Oh and I also refuse to buy honey(or anything with honey), we need to save the bees!

Unfortunately, being compassionate enough to stop eating meat, or even just factory farmed meats, can be expensive. But it is very commendable. If you physically are incapable of going without meat without getting sick or weak, and you are at some point able to purchase meats that are a bit more pricey, I'd recommend looking into humanely raised animals (grass-fed, pasture raised, animal-specific diet, etc.). If you have a local farmers market, you can usually find stuff like that and talk to the providers yourself instead of relying on labeling like in a grocery store. Honestly, food is probably my husband and my biggest expense.

I hear too many contrary things when it comes to health, and the blood type diet is one of those things I don't know anything about. So, she could be right, but I wouldn't know enough to agree or disagree. I think specifically of an iron deficiency when it comes to being light-headed and bruising easily from a diet change to veg*nism, because I had that problem at a point when I was vegan. I trust you know if you have any deficiencies in anything or not though. And you're absolutely right about people having different dietary needs, as not everyone is the same.

I'm happy you are going mostly vegan when it comes to non-food items (besides possibly shoes). Even if you can't do veg*nism because of health or financial reasons, you have a lovely heart.

Unfortunately, being compassionate enough to stop eating meat, or even just factory farmed meats, can be expensive. But it is very commendable. If you physically are incapable of going without meat without getting sick or weak, and you are at some point able to purchase meats that are a bit more pricey, I'd recommend looking into humanely raised animals (grass-fed, pasture raised, animal-specific diet, etc.). If you have a local farmers market, you can usually find stuff like that and talk to the providers yourself instead of relying on labeling like in a grocery store. Honestly, food is probably my husband and my biggest expense.

I hear too many contrary things when it comes to health, and the blood type diet is one of those things I don't know anything about. So, she could be right, but I wouldn't know enough to agree or disagree. I think specifically of an iron deficiency when it comes to being light-headed and bruising easily from a diet change to veg*nism, because I had that problem at a point when I was vegan. I trust you know if you have any deficiencies in anything or not though. And you're absolutely right about people having different dietary needs, as not everyone is the same.

I'm happy you are going mostly vegan when it comes to non-food items (besides possibly shoes). Even if you can't do veg*nism because of health or financial reasons, you have a lovely heart.

Thank you! We do have a store that sells meat and I'm pretty sure it is local. I do eat meat, but I am not much of a fan of milk, cheese(sometimes like on pizza but not just eating plain cheese), and stuff like that. Milk (unless its chocolate milk) leaves a cheesy taste in my mouth, and I think it is repulsive IMO (sometimes I do have a craving for it though). Our kroger and meijer also sells cruelty free, non gmo, grass fed beef. I plan on buying it if i get this job(i'd get discounted too, because my interview is for kroger). I kind of "let myself go" when it has come to my diet lately. But I am also pretty sensitive to what I eat as well. My dad has barretts disease and he found this out late in life, I feel like I could have the same issue, because some foods go right through me and make me feel like absolute garbage.

I have no idea what I will do in the future, but I know that I don't plan on buying leather any time soon, unless I KNOW the animal was dead first. That is why I refuse to wear uggs. (other than the fact that they're fugly)

You were so kind! The people I see all over youtube (I enjoy reading comments) give reasons why you should, and how it is possible even if you "don't have the money" and how you will "feel so much better"... They say how it is possible. When for some people it isn't. Because like me, I don't have a job, I can't just say "yeah mom I'm vegan now so you have to buy foods based around MY diet" it just doesn't work that way. And they will just attack you for every little thing... They act like vegan is how it SHOULD be. Eating meat has been around since before civilization, people had no choice to kill animals, but they used every part. Bones to make weapons, the fur and skin to keep warm, the meat, every little part got used up. That is what I don't have a problem with. What I have a problem with is factory farming, that is where most meat comes from. I have no problem if the animals have great lives, and die of old age. Or if they use every little bit of the animal. They just live their lives in cages to die...

The most expensive steak you can buy, comes from a cow that is massaged (yep, they give them body massages) and treated like family. And only a select few places in america sell the authentic thing, if they don't have a certificate they're lying, and is most likely just a normal steak.

Factory farming is heinous, there is no reason to give baby chickens hormones. They suffer, their organs grow to be so huge for their bodies, that sometimes they cannot walk, and just lay there, get stepped on, and eventually die....

Last edited:
Made some really really great falafel burgers tonight! it's the one vegetarian thing my whole family enjoys. Usually we eat them with pita but because I knew I wouldn't be making them for a few nights and pita doesn't last I decided to try them as burgers and they were really good! Added some avocado and tomato to add some more mass to the burger and slathered on some tzatziki sauce.

I've been vegetarian for a couple years now and I think it's so much better than eating meat. Me and my mum went vegetarian together.
Meat would always make me feel very sick and unhealthy. I just live with my mum at the moment and we have vegetarian meals all the time.
I first decided to go vegetarian because I felt guilty eating animals. I visited a farm and after seeing how friendly some farm animals can be I decided to go vego.
I tried to go vegan because I would much rather prefer use no animal products, but I already had an iron deficiency and being vegan made me very very sick all the time and I could barely function so I went back to being vegetarian.

My all time favourite vegetarian meal is a nice Halloumi cheese burger mmm.... With roasted eggplant and mushrooms and spinach.

Back