• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

3D Modelers General Thread

Caius

De Profundis
Retired Staff
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Yellow Tulip
White Tulip
Red Tulip
Winter Mittens
Orange Mote of Flame
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Waluigi Easter Egg
Green Fair Pinwheel
Rainbow Feather
Green Feather
Anyone else here a 3D modeler? Waiting on a render? Maybe an animator (3D?) and want to talk about it. Here's a place to do it. Also I may just be curious if I'm the only one here into 3D.

I've been waiting for four hours on a render and just flunked a Maya test on freelancer. I'm pretty sure the test is for Maya 2007 as I'm certified ;P

I'm only familiar with zBrush when I make high-rendered illustrations. But I have tons of 3D animator friends who are always complaining about render times... does that count? ^^;

I'm only familiar with zBrush when I make high-rendered illustrations. But I have tons of 3D animator friends who are always complaining about render times... does that count? ^^;

Definitely. Zbrush is one of my favorite programs :) I never get to do much in it besides add wear and tear to building blocks for displacement mapping, but y'know.. details.

I love just playing around in it. Its so intuitive and comfortable to use. Haven't tried Maya at all yet though. What do you think of the fluidity in Maya? Is it fairly easy to use?

I love just playing around in it. Its so intuitive and comfortable to use. Haven't tried Maya at all yet though. What do you think of the fluidity in Maya? Is it fairly easy to use?

Easy.. well.. no. But it does everything you could ever need it to. So it gets a plus just from that. I'm teaching a couple people Maya right now and my youngest student is early middle school aged. She's taking to it well, so it's not completely a bust if you know what to look for I suppose.

Fair enough, its not for everyone but the results are super nice!

I'm more in it for the animation and rigging tools. I hear texturing is worlds easier in 3DS MAX but it doesn't allow for all of the same things Maya does.

Yep. I'm a 3D modeller and animator. I use Blender mostly, but I also have 3DS Max and ZBrush. I use the Source Filmmaker for animation, but exporting models into the engine the Source Filmmaker uses takes up quite a bit of time, and I think the polygon limit for it is around 70,000, so if I fail to export my own models into it, I may consider searching for alternative applications for animating.

Yep. I'm a 3D modeller and animator. I use Blender mostly, but I also have 3DS Max and ZBrush. I use the Source Filmmaker for animation, but exporting models into the engine the Source Filmmaker uses takes up quite a bit of time, and I think the polygon limit for it is around 70,000, so if I fail to export my own models into it, I may consider searching for alternative applications for animating.

I'd avoid animating with anything over 50,000 faces. That's a lot of poly faces x.x Does blender let you retopologize?

I'd avoid animating with anything over 50,000 faces. That's a lot of poly faces x.x Does blender let you retopologize?

I think so, but I've never done it before. It doesn't matter either way, though. The most amount of polygons my models have had is 30,000, so I should be all right as long as I stick with that.

It would be nice if someone were to rip 3D models out of New Leaf...

Eh... not easy to rip models off the 3DS. I've done it with PSP and Ps2.. but other than that it's a pain.

Also streamin see last page of my thread if interested

It would be nice if someone were to rip 3D models out of New Leaf...

Actually, people have already done that. People have even started on Wii U models. In fact, I've been practicing animating a model of Skull Kid ripped from Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and several models from Hyrule Warriors. A lot of the people involved with the actual process haven't revealed much about it, however. Most of them were only interested in hacking Mario Kart 8.

Last edited:
Actually, people have already done that. People have even started on Wii U models. In fact, I've been practicing animating a model of Skull Kid ripped from Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and several models from Hyrule Warriors. A lot of the people involved with the actual process haven't revealed much about it, however. Most of them were only interested in hacking Mario Kart 8.

They're not going to be open about it because it includes breaking all DRM

This thread is extremely underrated. Anyway, I spent some time animating models ripped from Sonic R yesterday. The models are a little broken due to the ripping technique, but they worked pretty well. I heard it has something to do with the game only rendering the parts of the models visible to the camera, so the models had to be ripped multiple times from different views or something like that.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any decent 3D animating applications? The one I'm currently using is fine, except importing models is a real pain in the butt and it takes a very long time just to get one model in.

Last edited:
Back