• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon What was your first pokemon gen?

What Gen was your first game in?

• Gen 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 66 37.9%
  • Gen 2 (Gold/Silver)

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • Gen 3 (FireRed/LeafGreen/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)

Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Gen 5 (Black/White/Black 2/White 2)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Gen 6 (X/Y/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters
My first Pok?mon was Sapphire in Gen 3! I actually found my copy of it the other day, however my family probably either threw away my game boy or it's in storage. I bought Alpha Sapphire during release and I haven't devoted much time into it yet :/

Leafgreen was my first game. Second was firered or sapphire. Then in an unknown order as I picked them up at about the same time: yellow, silver, emerald, ruby.

After that onto Gen 4 with Diamond.

Mine was Gen 4 (heartgold and platinum) and then I got Emerald, and Black, White 2, and Y.

Last edited:
I started playing Pokemon when I was four years old, when Pokemon Red released in the West for the first time. Completed the whole thing, got Yellow a few months later and was a little stuck considering Pikachu was your starter and Brock was the first gym leader but I eventually got around it. I've been an avid Pokemon fan and player practically all my life.

I passed down the torch to my six year old nephew (my fiancee's nephew, really, but I consider myself his uncle) and gave him Pokemon FireRed. He's HOOKED. He loves his Venusaur the most, which he named Vacummsaur since he loves science (boy genius).

:)

Last edited:
I started playing Pokemon when I was four years old, when Pokemon Red released in the West for the first time. Completed the whole thing, got Yellow a few months later and was a little stuck considering Pikachu was your starter and Brock was the first gym leader but I eventually got around it. I've been an avid Pokemon fan and player practically all my life.

I passed down the torch to my six year old nephew (my fiancee's nephew, really, but I consider myself his uncle) and gave him Pokemon FireRed. He's HOOKED. He loves his Venusaur the most, which he named Vacummsaur since he loves science (boy genius).

lol vacummsaur cute

my first game was yellow then i got red and blue right after because nintendo needed all of my parents money at the time

Last edited:
Gen 1 for me, too. Blue was my first game, with Yellow trailing close behind.

My cousin (who's 3 years older than me) got me hooked on Pokemon and Digimon when I was really young, I don't even know, whenever the anime was first being shown in the US on cartoon network. :v
Parents bought me a yellow Gameboy Color when I was like 7 or 8 or something to play Pokemon Blue and Yellow. My cousin had Red, so he decided we needed to trade a lot, but I didn't know there were 'version exclusive' Pokemon so I never had like Growlithe or Oddish, he never gave me any. :c lol.

I got into Gen 2, too. Had Gold, Silver, and Crystal. When my battery in Crystal died, the very same aforementioned cousin convinced me it was "broken" and it would never save again. So I threw it out.
He was a jerk.

Then I dropped off and stopped playing and watching. I was like 13 AND I WAS TOO OLD FOR POKEMON. And then Pokemon X looked really cool, and while I was waiting for it to release I bought a copy of White 2, but never finished it. I stopped at the 3rd gym. And then I got really invested in X, but I just couldn't get into OR.

So I basically only played Gens 1, 2, and 6.
I was probably the only person who didn't complain about how few pokemon Gen 6 introduced, about 400 of them were new to me! haha.

Gen 3 (Pokemon Emerald)
My friend actually gave it to me on an emulated VBA last year and after playing it for a month or so, I decided to get Pokemon X to start my Kalos adventure.

Pokemon Red. OG B)

I still remember the day my siblings brought red and blue home. I couldn't read until like a year after that so I first played Red in 1999.

Technically gen 1? I had Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 for the N64 when they both first came out. But I never owned a gameboy; the very first handheld console I owned was a DS, so I never played any of the classic pokemon rpgs until gen 4.

When my young offspring start playing pokemon I will force generation 5 upon them, as I think had the pokemon franchise started with gen 5 instead of gen 1 pokemon would be much much better today

The first generation, but I actually enjoyed the sixth generation the most! = )

Back