• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Minecraft for Mac or iPhone?

Holla

🌸
Bells
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
I'm looking into buying Minecraft. Besides Nintendo gaming systems I don't own a Playstation or Xbox so I'm wondering which version I should buy, Mac or IOS(iPhone)?

My Mac is a 13" MacBook Air that I bought brand new last year, and my iPhone is a 4S.

My concerns are as follows:
• Will the app version be too buggy/slow on my older iPhone model
• Difference in price (I know the app version is $7.99 and I have more than enough money on my iTunes account for it, but I'm not sure how payment works for Mac)
• features limited to each version
• controls keyboard vs touchscreen (which is more user friendly?)
• Overall which version do people like better

Also, the only version I have played is the Playsation 3 one at a friend's house (though she also has it for PC).

Last edited:
Yes, you are better off with PC. It might ask for credit card, but it's a great game. Pocket is slow, boring, there aren't as many tools, and it gets mods slower. (it just got baby animals and flowers, but PC has bunnies, sea dungeons, etc...)

Mobile version is very hard to work with because of a small screen. It's really not useful unless you just wanna mess with it.
Computer is the best. It has more options on it than any other version available. Mac works the same way as PC. You just go to the site and pay the 27$ to buy it and download it.
It's easy to control. W, A, S, and D for movement. Mouse for camera control. E for inventory. Scroll on mouse or numbers 1-9 are for the hot bar. And you click to use anything. You can also set the keys to whatever you're more comfortable with though.
Depending on RAM in your Mac it may lag a bit though. So you'll have to change frame distance and stuff.
I have a MacBook Pro that I bought brand new last year and mine has 4GB ram. It runs fine without mods. But with it runs a tad slow.

Overall computer version offers way more to do. Way more. So it's a lot better!

Even if you have to put all the settings to the utter minimum, the 'Mac' version will still be better than iPhone.

General rule:
If you're given the choice between a phone version and any other version, you're often best going with the other version.

Yep, gotta agree; Pocket Edition just doesn't really compare to the PC version. It's so worth the money.

Will the app version be too buggy/slow on my older iPhone model
On my 4th gen iPod Touch, I couldn't create infinite worlds. I'm not sure if this is the same for iPhone 4S, but it might run a little slowly.
• features limited to each version
The only exclusive things to the PE is the Nether Reactor (although it's just the PE's way of getting you to the Nether, replacing the Nether Portal), and like, radishes, I think. The computer version has a lot more things that the iPhone version doesn't.
• controls keyboard vs touchscreen (which is more user friendly?)
Keyboard works a million times better, trust me.
• Overall which version do people like better
Mac > Pocket Edition

Ok thanks so much everyone! :) Mac version it is. I'll definitely see about joining your server too Justin! ^.^

Back