• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Spilled water on macbook air keyboard? RESOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 17 so i've had my license a year but this is my first time really handling a Michigan Winter driving and it's really bad. Thank god our school is literally 2 feet from our sub but i had to keep my cool when she was with me because i knew i scared her to death..okay anyway back to my macbook lol. I dont want this thread shut down i need advice

- - - Post Merge - - -

My macbook is under warranty until july of this year so i know that. I know water isn't covered but im wondering if i can save it at all

I can't remember how I got my pricing for my phone because I thought for sure I'd have to pay but the site had the with warranty covered damage (free of course) and the warranty not covered damage and the no warranty covered damage and no warranty not covered damage ($600 for an iPhone 4S at the time)

put it in a bucket of rice maybe!

I'm a bit iffy about rice getting stuck in the fan/keyboard so that's why i'm against that idea plus i don't have a ton of rice at my house currently and it's almost midnight. Works great with small electronics - saved an old iphone of mine

- - - Post Merge - - -

I can't remember how I got my pricing for my phone because I thought for sure I'd have to pay but the site had the with warranty covered damage (free of course) and the warranty not covered damage and the no warranty covered damage and no warranty not covered damage ($600 for an iPhone 4S at the time)

Damn and a macbook is probably way more to repair. Hoping it's not astronomical or they have a finance plan because my family is going through financial issues atm with my dad's business failing so everything for the repair is coming out of my bank account

I'm a bit iffy about rice getting stuck in the fan/keyboard so that's why i'm against that idea plus i don't have a ton of rice at my house currently and it's almost midnight. Works great with small electronics - saved an old iphone of mine

- - - Post Merge - - -

Damn and a macbook is probably way more to repair. Hoping it's not astronomical or they have a finance plan because my family is going through financial issues atm with my dad's business failing so everything for the repair is coming out of my bank account

i was just being silly :p

Really though I'd go to Apple's site they have a few steps you could run to test your Mac's health, their words not mine :) I know mobile has to suck though.

I bought my macbook off amazon and it crashed the first day i got it so i understand ur pain :{

Mine was maybe 5 months old..damn though. At least it was water and not something sticky like lemonade (i almost added crystal lite to the water so thank god for past me for that)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Really though I'd go to Apple's site they have a few steps you could run to test your Mac's health, their words not mine :) I know mobile has to suck though.

Mobile tbt varies for me based on the wifi im on :/ and i was browsing the support forums a bit but most people had fried macs with astronomical repair fees and my eyess couldn't bear that anymore. Most said give it a few days/flip it upside down. Apparently if it does live the damage will catch up to it

I'm sorry you're having a rough week :( I'm usually really careful with electronics so I haven't had an incident where my stuff has encountered water spills...yet. I hope getting it fixed won't be too much of a hassle for you :)

I'm sorry you're having a rough week :( I'm usually really careful with electronics so I haven't had an incident where my stuff has encountered water spills...yet. I hope getting it fixed won't be too much of a hassle for you :)

Yeah i'm normally really careful too..i baby my stuff like crazy so when my mom was handling it badly i got really mad at her for smashing it around. Hoping for the best though

You might've fried it, especially because you didn't power it off right away. Best thing to do at this point is to get it completely dried out (like wait at least 24 hours after getting as much moisture out as you can) and then try to see if it works.

I have a Macbook Pro. I once got some water in the keyboard, just a tiny bit. For about a month, the mouse pad didn't work right and I switched to a regular plug in USB mouse. I did that because it costs ~$70 for Apple to replace the mouse pad part of a Macbook. A month later, I was irritated enough by using the mouse I was thinking about going to the Apple Store to get it fixed. I decided to try unplugging the USB mouse and try the mouse pad area again... and it worked. And it still works to this day. It makes no sense to me at all. But I'm not complaining!

Same thing happened to me once :( it broke so I got my pc (best choice I've made #pcmasterrace yo)

Please don't start a flame war xD

You may have fried it sadly. Not turning it off right away could cause damage. I feel you though, my last one was fried on accident thanks to some screen wipes, turned it on once they had dried, rainbow lines everywhere. I tried resetting it, nothing worked. We were able to get a refund, so I was able to buy a new one.

Try just letting it dry out, my brother spilled nearly a full cup of water on his computer a year or two back. we just propped it near the radiator (be careful) in the tent position so the keyboard was able to drain, and the computer is working like brand new currently. Hopefully you've just fried the port and can get it fixed.

Just an update i tried to turn it on this morning and nothing. I'm guessing i fried it. Anyone know how much the keyboard/charging port might be to fix?

Just an update i tried to turn it on this morning and nothing. I'm guessing i fried it. Anyone know how much the keyboard/charging port might be to fix?

Oh no :(

I cringed when you said you used a hairdryer on it. I hope it was on the cool setting! Anything else can exacerbate the problem. When this happened to my mac, it was the logic board that was ruined. If it's the charging port, I would guess a few hundred dollars to fix, although it is supposed to be a fairly easy do-it-yourself (depending on which macbook you have). If it's the logic board like mine, it is going to cost A LOT. $700-$1000 probably. Since mine was a few years old, I just went ahead and bought a new one, rather than fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back