• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Yeah - when weapons have similar stats like that, there's no true answer to which one is the "best" - as the weapon's power levels will be situational, ESPECIALLY in the case of Dual Blades (which seem to have much more elemental damage than other weapons) -- Pick the weapon with the element which your foe is weak against - but be prepared to switch them out constantly as you do different missions.

[/vague]

I started doing the pink Rathian 4 star quest today to get to HR 5 and our group succeeded. Then I did it again... and again... and managed to get 4/5 pieces of the armor set. I was really surprised since I looked up the jewel you get from it is rare and I was able to get it multiple times today. I don't know how good this set is, but it's a lot better than my Gore Magela set as far as defense goes.

I'm trying to get the Whale Hammer on my Ike run now, Do you think I'd be able to get it on my original save even though I've finished the game?? would love to get it on that too.

I'm trying to get the Whale Hammer on my Ike run now, Do you think I'd be able to get it on my original save even though I've finished the game?? would love to get it on that too.

yes, the game isnt going to lock you out of a certain weapon/armor/monster just because you didnt unlock it right away..

I wish you can send items to help forge weapons to people. Need to upgrade armour and stuff so I can beat the gore magala. At least I got a palico ticket to upgrade the felyne and melynx just need to find out where to get a commendation (forgot the name)

yes, the game isnt going to lock you out of a certain weapon/armor/monster just because you didnt unlock it right away..
Ye, I tried it last night anyways, Fighting two frenzied Black Gravios was a ballache ;-;

oHyKNlC.jpg

Holy christ, I didn't intentionally mean to glitch my Talisman, I made it on my Powersaves at +14 Attack and +14 Sharpness and uhh...yeah, this happened.

I'm probably gonna delete it or keep it to the side, I don't wanna make anyone too angry online by showing "Look, I hack!"

Actually, after more testing, this is just a visual error because I used the code more than once, it still only increases the values by 14 but happens to give that bizarre number on the bottom skill (Tested this with Attack and it said it has +16398 Attack even though it still only gives 14.)

Last edited:
I wish you can send items to help forge weapons to people. Need to upgrade armour and stuff so I can beat the gore magala. At least I got a palico ticket to upgrade the felyne and melynx just need to find out where to get a commendation (forgot the name)

I don't think they would do this since I imagine there would be a lot of people who would farm items and give it to newbs to skip a large portion of the game or 'cheat' their way past Monsters. I think the Devs feel that you should have to get to this point yourself (which I can kind of do agree with). I know MH3 was pretty bad for higher level players just carrying newbs all the way to the end.

Though I agree there needs to be some 'compromise' with trading materials. I've had many a situation where me and a friend(s) have been farming a monster for a particular item and it's not dropped for the person who actually needed it but has for others. This can be really annoying, especially at times where one person keeps getting that same item whilst you have nothing.

At the very least, I think they should let you trade materials with the people you hunted that monster with as long as you're in the lobby with them. You've still got to kill it yourself and you're all going to have to kill it a few more times to all have the gear anyway, so I don't particularly see the problem. It would be even more helpful for those really low drop rate items. The grinding that they obviously desire would still be there.

if you want a tip with gore, when fighting him, just try to stay behind and attack from behind at all times (easier said than done tho), he doesn't have any attacks that can hit behind him, except for the tail slap, but that's pretty easy to dodge. same works for shagaru, too.
also if you need feelers, it's a good idea not to mount/topple him until he goes into frenzy mode.

anyway, i've been working on an armor set that gives me honed blade, HG ear plugs and edge lore, but no high rank armors sets give that fml, but i got one that's pretty decent for high rank, just gotta work on making it.

if you want a tip with gore, when fighting him, just try to stay behind and attack from behind at all times (easier said than done tho), he doesn't have any attacks that can hit behind him, except for the tail slap, but that's pretty easy to dodge. same works for shagaru, too.
also if you need feelers, it's a good idea not to mount/topple him until he goes into frenzy mode.

Thanks for the advice but I still can beat it haah. Can you play this mission online and it will let you continue in? If so could someone help me?:p been stuck on this mission for 3 days and I can't beat it

Quick question for all you vets. How does the insect weapon handle? I'm finally getting the game tomorrow and that's the only weapon I've been genuinely curious about.

Thanks for the advice but I still can beat it haah. Can you play this mission online and it will let you continue in? If so could someone help me?:p been stuck on this mission for 3 days and I can't beat it
you can fight gore online but completing it online wont count towards doing it offline, so you have to do it yourself offline.
that said, you can farm gore up online, and get enough materials to make one of his weapons, and then use that weapon to beat him offline (coz he's weak to dragon and is weapons are dragon element)

Quick question for all you vets. How does the insect weapon handle? I'm finally getting the game tomorrow and that's the only weapon I've been genuinely curious about.

from what i've played i've enjoyed. it works well, but someone who's played more of it than me can probably give you something better.
just dont turn into one of those ppl who only use the jump attack online pls

Last edited:
It works like this.

The Insect Glaive relies on inputs from you and your "Kinsect" with the Glaive in general, it's used for hitting stuff with alot of combo potential, also using the Glaive gives you access to pole jumping, this is really REALLY useful for mounting on big monsters.

However, your Kinsect works in a different way, you can launch it from your arm and try to aim it at specific parts of the monster, doing so will do small damage to the monster and can nab you various buffs to your hunter when you call it back, there's a few buffs that do the following when the Kinsect hits specific parts, also I believe hitting the monster in the areas I mention should give the appropriate buffs.

White = Speed increase (Hitting the Monster's legs)
Red = Attack increase (Hitting the Monster's head)
Orange = Defense increase (Hitting the Monster's body)
Green = Small heal (Hitting the Monster's tail)
However this might change on some bosses

You can also fire a small projectile and doing so will make it easier for your Kinsect to aim for that specific area, like if you wanted to heal up only, you'd have to hit the monster's tail with it and you'd get Heal ups alot easier.

The Glaive's combo possibilities are important to maximize the damage you can do, if you want to keep things safe, you should probably rake up some buffs (you can hold up to three slots of one of each buff, however Healing doesn't count) and then go for the offensive side as the Glaive offers no sort of shielding whatsoever.

I dunno if all this helps but I hope I managed to give a basic view of the weapon, it's really fun to use but it's more of an advanced weapon since it requires alot of patience to use and you need to have a good idea of what the monster's attack pattern is like to ensure you're going to live as you'd be playing a big role in the hunt.

Also @ Mudkip, if you ever wanna hunt for Gore Magala materials to make his weapons and such, give me a ring and I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Last edited:
I think I've finally got the hand of using the bow, and it's quite fun to use actually. However I'm not as great at not hitting my hunting companions as I am with a bowgun. (n˘v˘•)?

you can fight gore online but completing it online wont count towards doing it offline, so you have to do it yourself offline.
that said, you can farm gore up online, and get enough materials to make one of his weapons, and then use that weapon to beat him offline (coz he's weak to dragon and is weapons are dragon element)

Makes sense. So does anyone who's way further in the game want to help me beat him and get materials? or i could get the materials

ONE MORE DAY TILL DLC!!

I think I've finally got the hand of using the bow, and it's quite fun to use actually. However I'm not as great at not hitting my hunting companions as I am with a bowgun. (n˘v˘•)?
I can't wait to get my hands on the Hero's Bow tomorrow, I'm so hypeeeee

And omg Mudkip I offered to help you in my other post :'c

Last edited:
And omg Mudkip I offered to help you in my other post :'c

Did you really? I didn't see that lol. If you still want to you can just need to take me through it through vm since I haven't played online due to my crappy skills

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh just saw it now. Didn't before since I don't really read stuff if it doesn't have a quote =p

Did you really? I didn't see that lol. If you still want to you can just need to take me through it through vm since I haven't played online due to my crappy skills

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh just saw it now. Didn't before since I don't really read stuff if it doesn't have a quote =p
Ripppp, I'd be glad to help you out ye, It'd be on my hacked save though because trust me, it'll be easier for you and anyone else if they'll come too.

I just got this game last weekend so knowing me I'll be asking for your guys' help in the future.
I'm entirely new to the Monster Hunter series and I've heard it's not so friendly towards newbs ;u;

I wish they had made the pre-programmed chat options translate across different language versions. If I'm trying to put a monster to sleep and bomb it, it'd be great if when I send those messages telling people that, my hunting pal who only speaks spanish would be able to understand what I'm trying to do. also it'd be great if people who spoke english payed attention and didn't keep attacking a thing I'm trying to trap or bomb thanks lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just got this game last weekend so knowing me I'll be asking for your guys' help in the future.
I'm entirely new to the Monster Hunter series and I've heard it's not so friendly towards newbs ;u;

4U is possibly the best entry point into the series! There is a learning curve, but it's so rewarding once you get into the swing of things. Definitely don't hesitate to ask questions or ask for help! :)

Back