• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Physically crying because the desire sensor is killing me. Trying for about three hours now to farm carves for my glaives but I swear the game knows I want that rarer drops and it just will not give it to me.

Sorry if this question is obvious but how do you get stuff from the Palicoes den? Every time I try it keeps saying nothing found. Is it randomized or something?

Sorry if this question is obvious but how do you get stuff from the Palicoes den? Every time I try it keeps saying nothing found. Is it randomized or something?

iirc it's where you go to reclaim items felyne/melynx stole from you that you were unable to get back before they escape

Semi-off topic, but has anyone played Freedom Unite on iOS? If so, thoughts? I don't have a mfi controller so my main worry is whether it's worth it with touch screen controls (specifically I'd be playing on an iPad mini).

Semi-off topic, but has anyone played Freedom Unite on iOS? If so, thoughts? I don't have a mfi controller so my main worry is whether it's worth it with touch screen controls (specifically I'd be playing on an iPad mini).

nope, i was going to get it, but decided not to. i'll probably buy it one day in a year or so if i can get an mfi controller for cheap somewhere. i mean, i dont really think the touch screen controls are bad (unless you're playing on a phone then bye), but it's definitely worth picking up a controller if possible, imo.

only reason why i didnt buy it was because most of the monsters were being brought back in 4u, so it would've made 4U less exciting because i'd only fought those monsters a couple of months before fighting them in 4u - idk i see freedom unite iOS as an appetizer more than anything. plus freedom unite is known for the horrible hit boxes, and the weapon controls and mechanics are just way too outdated. even tho freedom unite was probably the best MH before 4U, 4U took over that title.

honesty, i dont think it's worth it, and i'd only pick it up if the game was discounted on the app store.

maybe im just too good or the quest was dumbed down (like the capture rathian when seregios first appears) but village apex seregios was easier than regular seregios wtf

also wtf the final village boss is really fun but its like impossible to die

fatalis was good tho. they shouldve switched rusted out for fatalis like that wouldve been better

Last edited:
Been trying forever for a najarala medulla. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Tried carving and capturing

Been trying forever for a najarala medulla. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Tried carving and capturing

First if all, its a high rank only item, so if you're fighting a low rank one, then you're not going to get one.
Then with that said, it's a 5% chance drop from a shiny, 8% if you capture it, and 5% chance from rewards if you break it's tail.

Your best bet at getting one is to fight a high rank one, break it's tail, and capture it.

Oh, and the following quests have a chance of giving it as a reward, whether or not you do any of the above criteria
Caravan 6 Fear Factor 8%
Caravan 8 Hunt-a-thon: Najarala 8%
Guild 5 Writer's Block 8%
Guild 5 Newlywed Game Hunter 8%
Guild 5 Primal Forest M.I.A. 5%
Guild 8 Serpentine Samba 8%

Last edited:
I finally found a copy of MH4U after searching for over a month!!

I've always wanted to get into this series, but had a difficult time investing myself with the lack of direction. I'm really glad there's a beginner-friendly tutorial this time around - I've played 2 hours more than I have in past iterations so I must be doing something right. haha

Are there any tips for getting around/knowing the map and monsters?

I finally found a copy of MH4U after searching for over a month!!

I've always wanted to get into this series, but had a difficult time investing myself with the lack of direction. I'm really glad there's a beginner-friendly tutorial this time around - I've played 2 hours more than I have in past iterations so I must be doing something right. haha

Are there any tips for getting around/knowing the map and monsters?

there really arent any tips for maps because it shows you where to go on the map. if there's no arrow there's no way to get there.
That said, there are (i believe) 2 short cuts? the first one is in the primal forest which is in the basecamp, and instead of going straight out the entrance you go right down the waterfall thing and it takes you to the the area on the right below the top-right area (i forget the number) and i forget where the second one is LOL

as for monsters, eaasiest thing to do is to paintball them. That way it'll always show you where they are on the map (well for ~10 mins bfore it wears). Eventually you'll know monster movements and you wont need to paintball

there really arent any tips for maps because it shows you where to go on the map. if there's no arrow there's no way to get there.
That said, there are (i believe) 2 short cuts? the first one is in the primal forest which is in the basecamp, and instead of going straight out the entrance you go right down the waterfall thing and it takes you to the the area on the right below the top-right area (i forget the number) and i forget where the second one is LOL

as for monsters, eaasiest thing to do is to paintball them. That way it'll always show you where they are on the map (well for ~10 mins bfore it wears). Eventually you'll know monster movements and you wont need to paintball
Thanks Jake! I'll keep note of the shortcuts and look for them later.
I'm still in the process of completing the low-star quests. Good to know there's an arrow indicator in other hunts, some of them only gave me the monster name and hint at where I could find them.

Does anyone else find this one more difficult than 3 Ultimate? I mean, let's look at an example. What's the worst thing that surprises you in a LR quest in 3U? You're on an otherwise boring 1-star quest and the Lagiacrus shows up. That might seem scary at first, but you can avoid him entirely! The game actually encourages you to ignore him. But what happens in 4U? You're on your merry way to a town, not even on a quest, when Gore Magala shows up, cornering you on the boat and showering you with disease and terror.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I can't be the only one who has noticed, right?

Does anyone else find this one more difficult than 3 Ultimate? I mean, let's look at an example. What's the worst thing that surprises you in a LR quest in 3U? You're on an otherwise boring 1-star quest and the Lagiacrus shows up. That might seem scary at first, but you can avoid him entirely! The game actually encourages you to ignore him. But what happens in 4U? You're on your merry way to a town, not even on a quest, when Gore Magala shows up, cornering you on the boat and showering you with disease and terror.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I can't be the only one who has noticed, right?

To be fair, they definitely upped the ante with the story this time around - but other than that, I feel MH3U in general was just easier. Although while I've made more PROGRESS with MH4U.. I feel like I've earned that progress, rather than been given it on a plate of monster-nerfs. I remember MHTri being quite difficult with the monsters I faced.. so having them appear in MH3U as FAR easier monsters was just.. odd.

I think the issue isn't that MH4U upped the difficulty, more as it was that the nearest comparison - MH3U - was the easiest.

Does this game support amiibo? If not, I believe it should as amiibo are the way forward for Nintendo. :)

Dude, what's with you and wanting every game to have Amiibo support? I mean, I guess it'd be cool? But not every game.

But this is a Capcom game ._.

Dude, what's with you and wanting every game to have Amiibo support? I mean, I guess it'd be cool? But not every game.

But this is a Capcom game ._.
I guess not then...

The truth is... I just like the fun and games of preordering amiibo. I like the hunt, is all.

I guess not then...

The truth is... I just like the fun and games of preordering amiibo. I like the hunt, is all.
No, it won't and probably will never support Amiibo's, However you make it seem like Amiibo support will save every game.

Monster Hunter is perfect as it is, I think you should be glad to not have a massive amount of games with different Amiibo's because I don't think your Wallet would be happy with so many purchases.

I still to this day do not understand the appeal of amiibo. Anyways, if the only thing amiibo support added is cosmetic options and whatnot then whatever. I'm not buying it so it's fine.

No, it won't and probably will never support Amiibo's, However you make it seem like Amiibo support will save every game.

Monster Hunter is perfect as it is, I think you should be glad to not have a massive amount of games with different Amiibo's because I don't think your Wallet would be happy with so many purchases.
Very true Hyogo.

The game is harder because mh3u had a default defence boost whether you liked it or not

Does this game support amiibo? If not, I believe it should as amiibo are the way forward for Nintendo. :)
wtf did I just read

Back