Green Feather
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
I'm currently taking my gap year between College and University, the ultimate plan was to find a job and work until I start University next year, but I'm finding it impossible to actually secure a part-time job at the moment... So I was contemplating what to do a few days ago and the idea of teaching myself something popped into my mind. I know I shouldn't start researching the course that I wish to study at University, as it's not 100% guaranteed that I'll get into the course yet. I want to learn something that will be useful to me instead of being just an interesting thing to learn.

Have any of you guys ever taught yourself something? I know that some people teach themselves crazy stuff like java and C++... Once I replaced my overworld sprite on pokemon black and white 2

but obviously I only semi-succeeded

I taught myself how to raise one eyebrow, but that's about it. Still can't whistle.

I taught myself how to do that thing where one eye looks forward and the other goes cross-eyed

- - - Post Merge - - -

my greatest accomplishment to date

I've been teaching myself to make icing decorations, stuff like royal icing flowers (like the one in the link below) and cute little animals :3 I used to use molds to make really simple, flat decorations but I think that the effort and time is worth it if you can make realistic flowers and really pretty cakes :) I hope to use these skills in the future if I go more into baking professionally.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Lily

EDIT: I want to be able to do this, http://www.wilton.com/idea/Love-Squ...-home&ICID=love-squared-cookies-0112@ss-home2 as a gift for my boyfriend for Valentines, I better get practising!

Last edited:
i taught myself guitar - i found it pretty easy, but then i already played violin so had some musical knowledge and skill

Gap years are great opportunities to learn things or travel.

If you don't end up traveling, you can learn a new language or a new instrument?

I taught myself how to do that thing where one eye looks forward and the other goes cross-eyed

- - - Post Merge - - -

my greatest accomplishment to date

I can make one eye look forward and one eye just shift off to the side (I see everything double when I do this) and I've always been able to do it. Kinda weird.

I'm planning on doing the same thing as you, because I plan on studying Japanese at uni and by that point I wouldn't have studied any Japanese in like almost 2 years. I kind of want to keep it up along with my A Levels, but I have so much work, so I'm planning on studying and teaching myself Japanese (I already studied it at GCSE) during the gap year just so when I start I'm not completely thrown in the deep end (even though you can start the course without even knowing any of the language), and of course getting a job too so I can afford to spend a year out in Japan... :rolleyes: I'd suggest learning like a new language, I know it might not seem useful to you at the moment, but it's definitely something any employer looks highly upon on a CV, because it can show how good your understanding of languages are and how you can communicate effectively, and if you end up enjoying learning it, it could open up more opportunities for you.

Last edited:
I've been very slowly teaching myself how to play acoustic guitar, ukulele, and piano, mainly the ukulele right now. :D

good on u. lifes short. too short to be wasting away ur youth on a forum whose inhabitants pay minimal attention to ur contribution towards the community. heck this community is so superficial and temporary. fact is very little of u have actually realised this. none of wat any of u r doing is paying contribution to anything. all this website consists of is an archive full of selfdeprived lost humans seeking some purpose in life. in fact wat u shud do is completely forget about this forum and move on with ur life. u have pretentious goals. goals which rnt met due to the procrastination caused by this website. i honestly feel bile raising up my throat when i think of u in 5 years time still being an active member on this forum.

gl in uni bro

x

Last edited:
taught myself how to draw, knit, sing nicely (choir helped me read music and sightread lmao), html, some css and how to use rpg maker programs. i have a crochet tutorial that i havnt looked at yet tho

good on u. lifes short. too short to be wasting away ur youth on a forum whose inhabitants pay minimal attention to ur contribution towards the community. heck this community is so superficial and temporary. fact is very little of u have actually realised this. none of wat any of u r doing is paying contribution to anything. all this website consists of is an archive full of selfdeprived lost humans seeking some purpose in life. in fact wat u shud do is completely forget about this forum and move on with ur life. u have pretentious goals. goals which rnt met due to the procrastination caused by this website. i honestly feel bile raising up my throat when i think of u in 5 years time still being an active member on this forum.

gl in uni bro

x

See you in 5 years

I taught myself HTML and CSS when I was 12. I practiced and learned for like 7 years. I'm pretty good at it now.

I taught myself how to swim when I was younger... although I think a lot of people do that. Also taught myself how to sew.

gl in uni bro

x

*applauds*

I taught myself how to play ukulele. I tried teaching myself Italian but languages aren't my strong point. I think as long as you choose something you're interested in, you'll enjoy it whether you do well or not :) hopefully you do well, of course.

Back