• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Paper Mario Sticker Star: Is it Worth It

ObeseMudkipz

In the Shadows
Bells
Switch
8101-2869-2219
New Horizons Token
New Horizons Token
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
New Leaf Token
Green Candy
Yellow Candy
Jingle Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Voodoo Doll
I've been wondering if I should get the game but I've heard bad things about it and I've been debating whether I should get it or not. I have other games on my list I want and if others say it's bad then I'll get this last. I've never played the other paper mario games so I don't know what to expect

What do you think about the game? Is it fun? Was it worth it?

Never played it, never will. Just play the first two Paper Mario games instead.

I wouldn't recommend it, I'm stuck on the first boss because all of my items only get it like a half down at best. And the battles omg do they appear a lot. The enemies run as fast as black friday shoppers, so that's fun to avoid.

I wouldn't recommend it, I'm stuck on the first boss because all of my items only get it like a half down at best. And the battles omg do they appear a lot. The enemies run as fast as black friday shoppers, so that's fun to avoid.

I've seen game plays on it and that's what kept happening to people. I'll just make some other thread asking which game I should get based on how fun it is and that

I have the digital version of the game(got it two years ago), it was fun, but the bosses were sorta hard if you didn't get enough stickers, or the special Thing stickers for the bosses weaknesses. I thought parts of it were great, others, not so much. For example, the Kamek fights Were neverending. But you had complete free choice to go through each world in any order I believe, Free choice. The only thing is there is almost NONE, if any, post game content, it won't even recognize that you've beat the game in the overworld, as the final level is always like a red circle, similar to many other mario rpg's. I would reccomend it, but only if you're willing to go through some tedious bosses, And once you beat the game, no after game fun or anything, And solve puzzles throughout the stages.

Last edited:
Yes you should get it if it makes people happy get it

It was fun enough, but don't expect a game that's too deep or makes too much sense. If you get it, just go into it with the same mentality with which one plays a New Super Mario Bros. game.

Although with an inventory full of hopslippers you can make short work of a few of the bosses...

I found it fun but it's too much of a departure from the first two IMO.
I went from TTYD to this and I was sorta disappointed by the lack of exp, partners, etc.
It was fun though but I sold it

Nope.

It's so much a departure from the first two games, it just feels like a dumbed down version of it and it really feels like that when it comes to story, characters, & the battle system.
Thanks Miyamoto.

Just play the Thousand Year Door at this point, it's a much much much better RPG than Sticker Star.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star isn't a bad game, but it's definitely tough to recommend this one to most people due of its tendency of being polarizing. Sometimes, you'll genuinely have fun with the game, while the other times you'd loathe it.

- If you don't like having a (online) guide handy with you, this game isn't for you. There's too many Guide Dang It moments throughout the journey, especially against the bosses.
- The story is forgettable, as it feels like the developers didn't even bother to make it cohesive and intriguing enough
- The sticker mechanic is a love-hate affair; it simplified the gameplay a lot, but it also becomes a tad restrictive at the same time
- Beside Kersti, there isn't a new character found in the game, because Miyamoto apparently didn't want more characters to be added

Unless if you're a die-hard Paper Mario fan, it would be wise to just stay away from the game. If you own a Wii/Wii U along with a GameCube Controller or Classic Controller, you're better served by downloading the N64 version of Paper Mario, which is priced at $10 (1000 Wii Points).

If you played past paper mario games, Sticker Star will be absolutely boring and hardly compares even to SPM. Nintendo completely butchered the paper mario series with this entry... They got rid of the charming storylines and characters and dumbed the game down to an rpg version of a typical sidescrolling Mario game. I could go on and on with how much Nintendo disappointed me with Sticker Star, but you get the idea. This is just my opinion, keep in mind. If you've never played Paper Mario, you might enjoy Sticker Star a little more, however if you have a Wii U, I'd recommend trying SPM or the N64 Paper Mario on the virtual console. (or if you somehow have a gamecube, get TTYD - by far the best entry in the series)

I'm a die-hard paper mario fan and I hated it. I put it down after the 2nd or something boss, the bosses themselves are ridiculous and some you are forced to waste your stickers on and eventually lose because you don't have the "right" type of item (for instance that stupid cheep cheep that kills you slowly if you don't have a fishing hook /spoilers). Even though I knew it wasn't good, I felt like I had to properly feel the torture of this paper mario "successor".

Other than this the game is built on really crappy puzzles. Even the toad thing at the start was a pain. The puzzles are so specific and as a result difficult that you can spend hours on one part, it is worse when all the islands unlock and stuff and you can only do certain things without doing a certain thing on another island and asglkdgsmafgk ldsgd. Most of the time you have no idea if you are doing anything right and end up running in circles.

If you are a paper mario fan and want another great paper mario game, don't buy this.

Last edited:
I wouldn't unless you have nothing else to play. It doesn't seem to big and theres some good games coming out soon for both Wii u and 3DS. Its up to you. I have never played it but if I had a choice, I wouldn't now

On the theme of monsters, there is hardly a benefit to random battles (of which there are many) except losing stickers. No exp/levelling system at all.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star isn't a bad game, but it's definitely tough to recommend this one to most people due of its tendency of being polarizing. Sometimes, you'll genuinely have fun with the game, while the other times you'd loathe it.

- If you don't like having a (online) guide handy with you, this game isn't for you. There's too many Guide Dang It moments throughout the journey, especially against the bosses.
- The story is forgettable, as it feels like the developers didn't even bother to make it cohesive and intriguing enough
- The sticker mechanic is a love-hate affair; it simplified the gameplay a lot, but it also becomes a tad restrictive at the same time
- Beside Kersti, there isn't a new character found in the game, because Miyamoto apparently didn't want more characters to be added

Unless if you're a die-hard Paper Mario fan, it would be wise to just stay away from the game. If you own a Wii/Wii U along with a GameCube Controller or Classic Controller, you're better served by downloading the N64 version of Paper Mario, which is priced at $10 (1000 Wii Points).

Just out curiosity I went to read this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GuideDangIt/EasternRPG

There's one you're not required to figure out back in the first Paper Mario. The Star Beam gets rid of Bowser's Star Rod power, yes... but it also gets rid of EVERY STATUS IN THE GAME. Fighting a Magikoopa that made an enemy invisible? The Star Beam WILL get rid of that. The game only tells you it cancels the Star Rod's power. The game expects YOU to figure out it gets rid of every other status, as well.

THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW BACK THEN.

Like some other people said, Paper Mario 1 or Super Paper Mario are good alternatives. I saw somebody say that you could get Thousand-Year Door if you have a gamecube. I don't know if this helps, but I just wanted to throw out there that older models of the Wii can play gamecube games. So if you have the Wii and got it in the first few months (maybe year) it was released, you could probably check what model it is if you want to play TTYD.

Like some other people said, Paper Mario 1 or Super Paper Mario are good alternatives. I saw somebody say that you could get Thousand-Year Door if you have a gamecube. I don't know if this helps, but I just wanted to throw out there that older models of the Wii can play gamecube games. So if you have the Wii and got it in the first few months (maybe year) it was released, you could probably check what model it is if you want to play TTYD.

I'm sure it was only the 'Wii Mini' that released in Canada that didn't support GameCube games. Must be mistaken.

Back