• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

actually, I'd like to say korrasami is canon.. one of the creators, mike, shared an article on facebook. it basically talks about how progressive the show is, and at the end it mentions korra and asami. i'm pretty sure he wouldn't share that if they were incorrect. plus tla ended with katara and aang kissing, and lok's ending was reminiscent of that. just my opinion :S

This is my view of it too.
To me, if the point was to demonstrate friendship then Mako and Bolin would have been there. Or they could have included Tenzin and family to throwback to the result of the end of ATLA. Or if they wanted to do something as fanservice, we would have gotten Katara, Zuko and Toph at the end (and even Iroh on the other side of the spirit portal.)

These things didn't happen, the writers clearly wanted to showcase just Korra and Asami. And I doubt Nick would have been happy with them airing a lesbian kiss, so the writers added in everything they could do that wasn't this.

I saw the Avatar books in a manga store and I was contemplating buying one, but then I looked at the price tag x_x are they available to read online?

yeah they are. you can find them if you just search "read avatar the search part one" or something. :lemon:

To be honest, nobody even knows whether their pairing is canon or not. In Japan it's perfectly normal for two female friends to be very close (holding hands, gazing into each other's eyes etc.) I don't know whether they did this in avatar because of their friendship, or because they were truly being paired together (which, when you think about it, seems very unlikely, since this is a Nick tv show and having a same-gendered relationship on a children's show would cause controversy - especially considering how poor the show is doing as it is).

I'd like to think their pairing is canon, but I think we all know it probably isn't.

- - - Post Merge - - -

oops, forgot to add that despite this show being made in America by American people, it was still had a large influence from asian culture, hence why we see a lot of chinese/japanese elements within the show itself

Yeah. For me, personally, holding hands and hugging and being close is just a normal way to show people love, but not in a romantic way. For me it was just the symbolism of friendship but it can easily be taken different ways. They left it open to the imagination, which is sometimes great and sometimes not, haha.

This is my view of it too.
To me, if the point was to demonstrate friendship then Mako and Bolin would have been there. Or they could have included Tenzin and family to throwback to the result of the end of ATLA. Or if they wanted to do something as fanservice, we would have gotten Katara, Zuko and Toph at the end (and even Iroh on the other side of the spirit portal.)

These things didn't happen, the writers clearly wanted to showcase just Korra and Asami. And I doubt Nick would have been happy with them airing a lesbian kiss, so the writers added in everything they could do that wasn't this.

Yeah, it can easily be interpreted this way, but there is just no surefire way to say that it's canon, unless there is actual confirmation. Writers just trolling us hardcore.

Last edited:
There was never much indication for it and it felt forced and out of nowhere, it's a bit dissapointing. Yes there were technically indicators but there were more with other people. Then again, Korrasami isn't exactly canon, it's just a plausible ending. I like ATLA better because there was a lot more character development etc. The whole final episode seemed kinda rushed and odd imo.

Ya this.
I actually expected Korra to end up with Mako again. The whole Korrasami thing threw me at a loop. I've seen tumblr posts about it but I never expected it to be a thing.
The season finally was really nothing special *sorry guys*
Highlight of it was Varrick and Zhu Li

Ya this.
I actually expected Korra to end up with Mako again. The whole Korrasami thing threw me at a loop. I've seen tumblr posts about it but I never expected it to be a thing.
The season finally was really nothing special *sorry guys*
Highlight of it was Varrick and Zhu Li

Have to agree.

Comparing it to ATLA finale, ATLA wins hands down.

Is this show any good?
My friend said if I loved ATLA (which I do) that I shouldn't watch Korra.

Is this show any good?
My friend said if I loved ATLA (which I do) that I shouldn't watch Korra.

It's definitely good, it just lacks things here and there that most people enjoyed about ATLA. Still worth the watch.

I'm disappointed in this season tbh, I feel like a lot was rushed and I dunno, it was missing something. It's probably my least favorite season of Korra. ;/

I just felt like Kuvira gave up too easily and it negated the sociopathic dictator they were making her out to be imo.

I feel like the relationship between korra/asami was forced, so the final scene was soooo lame for me

I haven't watched the show since it's 3rd episode (sad I know, but I got crap to do).

But it was good for what I watched.

i just finished it and i am emotionally damaged

I didn't really see the ending as a romantic thing at all until I googled stuff after I watched it, it seemed more like a symbol. It's really nice that the ending was more interesting (even if it was just fan service but idk!) and showed what I saw as a beautiful friendship- and omg the beifongs r awesome toph is the best character

I wish they would have actually written something that would have built the relationship up over the course of the show instead of just throwing it in at the end.

Do you think the reason Nickelodeon wanted it off air was because of this? I'm assuming the writers would need to brief them on what the show would entail.

As much as I liked the Legend of Korra, Avatar the Last Airbender was better, in my opinion.

I just thought Korra (as in LOK) had many holes and was too rushed. They focused more on the action and the love triangles instead of the character development. It still saddens me that Bolin didn't develop at all during the series, only during his first time lavabending. It also saddens me that Sokka was never mentioned. I understand that this series was for new characters to shine, but considering that they mentioned Zuko, Katara, and Toph's whereabouts, you'd kinda expect them to mention Sokka.

Much of the the holes, I feel, could have been fixed if there were more episodes. Yet, there are many animes out there that are able to develop the characters really well in just 12 episodes, so I don't know c:

About the Korrasami thing, I honestly thought it was just fanservice. Even though the creators said that it wasn't supposed to be fanservice, it still seemed VERY fanservice-y to me. There weren't any hints towards it, it seemed really ambiguous throughout the series, and to me it just seemed like a really close friendship, much like the ones I have with my childhood friends. So while watching the last scene and I them walking in together holding hands, I was thinking, "Oh okay, yeah that's nice." but then when they turned towards each other and held both their hands together, I was kinda like, "Wait what. was that supposed to mean something more than friendship??" IDK IT JUST SEEMED KINDA THROWN UP IMO, LOL...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Do you think the reason Nickelodeon wanted it off air was because of this? I'm assuming the writers would need to brief them on what the show would entail.

Yes I do. I also think they wanted to take it off air so they could do more action things with the show. LOK going off air was definitely planned, but it just wasn't executed very well. If you take in consideration the timeline of events for Book 3, you could tell that they were planning to air Book 3 after Comic Con, but the whole Mexican Nick leaking the episodes occured, and they were forced to air the show early. My guess is that at Comic Con, they would announce that Korra would move to online.
After it was taken off air, the on screen deaths were becoming more implied and not so wishy-washy like the deaths in ATLA. The Earth Queen's death for example. That was pretty brutal, lol;

Last edited:
I wish they would have actually written something that would have built the relationship up over the course of the show instead of just throwing it in at the end.

I think the reason why they didn't fully build a relationship was because two bisexuals on a television show would've been "inappropriate" by today's standards. Especially in a kids show.
I would have liked some relationship building, but I am still pleased with the ending. I'm glad they included a couple that wasn't straight. This is a huge step for modern cartoons.

Although, it's not as good as the original, it was still great!

Here's my opinion on the ending.
I also agree that Korrasami was really forced and purely fan-service. But one also has to take in consideration that, although Nickelodeon supported them when they wanted to make Korrasami canon, there would probably be a lot of angry parents watching it who'd get mad with their relationship developing throughout the series.

So if Korrasami was Bryke's intention before season 4, throwing it at the very end where parent's can't complain--since it's technically over--was probably the only thing they could do in order to develop the story more within the comics.

Or they could have just ended the series not on an ambivalent note and developed their relationship purely withing the comics.

Here is my $0.02.

ATLA is and always will be better. No contest. I feel LOK was good considering it's circumstances: it wasn't originally supposed to be 4 seasons, only a mini-series. I feel that's why it lacked in it's writing (especially with book 3, a bit in 4). But, nonetheless, I enjoyed the series. But it definitely could have been better.

I feel like people who are saying that Korra and Asami are rushed, forced, and fanserviced, yet make no mention of Varrick and Zhu Li are slightly homophobic. Yes, both relationships were rushed and both were fanservicing. Who cares? They're cute. People are getting in such a fit because they remained somewhat ambiguous with Korrasami. I think it's ridiculous, you can see the creators intentions with how they wrote the scenes they were in, and I thought it was cute. At least it can be seen throughout all book 4 that Korra and Asami have chemistry, while Varrick just randomly proposes to Zhu Li? Of course, it was assumed he had feelings for her, but if anything I feel that was waaaay more forced than Korrasami. Plus, I'm bisexual, so I felt happy seeing some bisexual characters in a show.

On that note, however, I wish this show wasn't so involved with romantic relationships. I suppose it was easier to avoid that in ATLA because they were younger, while as LOK started with them in their teens. It would be odd if they didn't include some sort of romance, yes, but I feel it played way more of a major theme than it should have. She's the avatar, why should she care about dating some dope anyway?

Personally, Book 3 was my favorite, mainly because I loved the overpowered villain quartet. I loved Zaheer, mainly because I love Henry Rollins. Sparky Sparky boom lady was awesome. Ghazan was awesome. No arms lady was awesome. They're all great. Writing was cliche and lacking in areas, but, still my fave.

Some things I would have wished to be answered:
  • What happened to Sokka? (Yes, I know it's not centered around them anymore, but it still would have been nice to see some glimpses of his life.)
  • Who is Suyin's father?
  • What happened to Iroh II at the end there? He's at the front lines, ships sink, then he leaves. Wtf?

Here is my $0.02.

ATLA is and always will be better. No contest. I feel LOK was good considering it's circumstances: it wasn't originally supposed to be 4 seasons, only a mini-series. I feel that's why it lacked in it's writing (especially with book 3, a bit in 4). But, nonetheless, I enjoyed the series. But it definitely could have been better.

I feel like people who are saying that Korra and Asami are rushed, forced, and fanserviced, yet make no mention of Varrick and Zhu Li are slightly homophobic. Yes, both relationships were rushed and both were fanservicing. Who cares? They're cute. People are getting in such a fit because they remained somewhat ambiguous with Korrasami. I think it's ridiculous, you can see the creators intentions with how they wrote the scenes they were in, and I thought it was cute. At least it can be seen throughout all book 4 that Korra and Asami have chemistry, while Varrick just randomly proposes to Zhu Li? Of course, it was assumed he had feelings for her, but if anything I feel that was waaaay more forced than Korrasami. Plus, I'm bisexual, so I felt happy seeing some bisexual characters in a show.

On that note, however, I wish this show wasn't so involved with romantic relationships. I suppose it was easier to avoid that in ATLA because they were younger, while as LOK started with them in their teens. It would be odd if they didn't include some sort of romance, yes, but I feel it played way more of a major theme than it should have. She's the avatar, why should she care about dating some dope anyway?

Personally, Book 3 was my favorite, mainly because I loved the overpowered villain quartet. I loved Zaheer, mainly because I love Henry Rollins. Sparky Sparky boom lady was awesome. Ghazan was awesome. No arms lady was awesome. They're all great. Writing was cliche and lacking in areas, but, still my fave.

Some things I would have wished to be answered:
  • What happened to Sokka? (Yes, I know it's not centered around them anymore, but it still would have been nice to see some glimpses of his life.)
  • Who is Suyin's father?
  • What happened to Iroh II at the end there? He's at the front lines, ships sink, then he leaves. Wtf?

I agree. o.o

I loved your post.

Back