Swearing - Is it not looked down upon anymore?

Bread Kennedys

Oyasumi.
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
4184-3304-2047
The Bell Tree Fair 2020 Patch
I asked this question, because, I see more people swear now than back in the day. Is it just not looked down upon anymore? What is your thoughts on this matter? Me, personally, I'm fine if someone else swears, but I don't like myself swearing. I'm not against it, but I just don't like saying them.

But nowadays, I see a lot of kids in my neighborhood swearing, unlike back in the day, where if kids swore, they'd get in trouble something severe. Nowadays, I rarely see kids get in trouble over it. Like I asked, what are your thoughts on this matter?

And please, keep it civil. I don't want this to get out of hand. Because if it does, pretty sure I can get one of the mods to lock the thread. Regardless, discuss.

One more thing - if there's already a topic for this, feel free to lock it. Thanks.

I say **** out of habit.
Like, don't insult anyone or use the harsher ones. And be aware of who you're speaking to.

Last edited:
just a form of expression, whose appropriateness is based on context and environment, like any other form of expression really.

just a form of expression, whose appropriateness is based on context and environment, like any other form of expression really.

P much this.

I know when and where to swear, and I know when and where not to swear.

Just so you know, if you go under administrative at the top of the post, you can lock your own thread. c:

And yeah now that I think of it, it does seems like people have gotten more used to it and it's not such a big deal. My personal thoughts are that it's fine, I swear a lot. But when some people talk and every second word is just pointless cursing, it's a bit much. I try to use it sparingly. If I were raising a child I would not swear around them and would not allow swearing, to a degree. Knowing what is appropriate is more important to me. I do not swear in situations or around people where it is inappropriate, and as long as my child did the same, once they got to a certain age they can say what they want.

i dont think u can lock ur own thread here, u can only do it in trading/marketplace forums i think

My mom would kill me if I swore in front of her. But I swear a lot in school I guess, I don't like doing it, it's definitely decreased lately, though. Some teachers in school get mad about it, but only a few really have their panties in a knot (what) about it. But idk I don't really have an opinion, whatevaaah, it's kind of just how people like to raise their youth I guess.

I think it's way more acceptable to swear these days.

Obviously, it's still not appropriate to swear in certain situations such as public facing jobs (non public facing jobs don't seem to care) or certain other 'professional' places. Though that's just the same as it not being appropriate to spend all day at work playing 3DS, or wearing crotchless pants.
Maybe you don't swear in front of old people or children, but I feel this is more of a 'habit' that we've gotten ourselves into rather than it being 'wrong'.

I'll go with the argument all children use at some point when they're shouted at for swearing, "but it's just a word". They're darn right it's just a word.

I don't see the sentence "this food tastes like rubbish" as being any different than "this food tastes like c**p". "That is very awesome" is no different to "that is f***ing awesome".
How are 'd**k', 'f**k' or 's**t' wrong to say, but 'penis', 'sex' and 'poop' are fine?

They're just words that can be used, just like any other word. I don't understand why they're even 'bad' in the first place, especially how somebody can get offended over them.

Being offended over a 'bad word'?...I don't even....

Last edited:
I think it's way more acceptable to swear these days.

Obviously, it's still not appropriate to swear in certain situations such as public facing jobs (non public facing jobs don't seem to care) or certain other 'professional' places. Though that's just the same as it not being appropriate to spend all day at work playing 3DS, or wearing crotchless pants.
Maybe you don't swear in front of old people or children, but I feel this is more of a 'habit' that we've gotten ourselves into rather than it being 'wrong'.

I'll go with the argument all children use at some point when they're shouted at for swearing, "but it's just a word". They're darn right it's just a word.

I don't see the sentence "this food tastes like rubbish" as being any different than "this food tastes like c**p". "That is very awesome" is no different to "that is f***ing awesome".
How are 'd**k', 'f**k' or 's**t' wrong to say, but 'penis', 'sex' and 'poop' are fine?

They're just words that can be used, just like any other word. I don't understand why they're even 'bad' in the first place, especially how somebody can get offended over them.

Being offended over a 'bad word'?...I don't even....

Penis and sex isn't fine, but somehow poop is. *shrugs*

Oh and btw I've never used the,"it's just a word," excuse,probably because I barely swear. Maybe once a month? And never in front of adults.

I say **** out of habit.
Like, don't insult anyone or use the harsher ones. And be aware of who you're speaking to.

Pretty much this, I say **** in place of most things but other than I don't really see a point to unless I'm adding in emphasis.

Penis and sex isn't fine, but somehow poop is. *shrugs*

Oh and btw I've never used the,"it's just a word," excuse,probably because I barely swear. Maybe once a month? And never in front of adults.

who told u penis and sex are bad words

Meh. I don't really care about cursing, but I do find it unattractive when people drop the f-bomb every other word.

Funny how on some shows the characters can directly call someone a "b**ch" but god forbid they say "f**k".

I have no problem with those who curse, unless they swear like every other word. :L

This ^

I don't swear much, but it doesn't bother me when other people do. I don't think it's particularly looked down upon unless it's around children (or from children).

But when someone is using swear words in all of their conversations and in every sentence, it gets annoying pretty quickly. Then they just sound unintelligent. Or like a little kid who just learned about swear words and is overexcited about using them.

In Australia practically everyone swears, well at least in my area. You could swear at school and no one would care. But I do agree with most of you in the fact if someone swears every sentence its kinda annoying, like theyre trying too hard lol

I dont swear too often. I'll swear sometimes at home. Kids at mt school curse all the time. They have very filthy mouths. It's like I'm in a class room full of sailors lmao.

I believe that swearing is acceptable under certain circumstances.

To me, someone who swears on a daily basis, is someone who hasnt worked hard to achieve a colorful vocabulary.

Again under the right situation i deem it perfectly acceptable.

For example:

If youre in a situation which has you very upset, and you swear when you dont do it on the regular, then you will receive a reaction.
It may seem harsh sometimes, but people occasionally need a wake up call, and swearing does just that (assuming you arent an avid user of those words).

I have nothing against people who swear, and I know habits are hard to break, but I personally feel that you will get more of a response if you dont use it daily.

Last edited:
Back