• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tipping at Restuarants

If I'm dining in and being waited on, of course.

I work in this sort of industry myself and believe me, the pay is crap so tips are appreciated.

Plus, with the constant bs these people have to put up with, I think they deserve a tip.

A women was extremely rude to my table. She would always ignore us and go to the booth next to us and flirt with the guys there. Twice she messed up my order and the third time she brought it back she goes "Hope you aren't so picky next time." and asked us if we would hurry up and eat so she could leave. Reported her to her manager and NO TIP :)

Some places in Europe, the tip is automatically added. This can be bad if the service was terrible but yeah.

Eh, I have so so feelings about tipping, Like I tip based on service I never do go by the percent because I feel like I shouldn't have to give you guys 20% of my bill because you guys make crappy wages, I mean if i'm going to pay anyone I rather pay the cook who actually makes my food. Its not hard to carry food from the kitchen to the table and just because people are rude to them doesnt mean they deserve to get more money.
Oh you refil my water and bring my food makes you deserve 10$ dollar tip of my 50$ dinner for 2 already. There no reason, Its not our fault your employer gives your crappy wage, I work hard for my own money I don't feel like giving out money to people for simple task
IF anyone DESERVES a Tip its the CHEF.

Last edited:
I usually tip 15%, 10% if the service was bad. Judging by the amount of sexual harassment and utter BS I've seen some people go through, they deserve more, but I'm kinda sorta broke ^.^;; and tbh it really bugs me when the people i eat with don't tip. It's harder than a lot of people think it is.

Last edited:
I almost always tip 20%. There's those times where I don't tip but that's only if they're being a complete asshat or don't even come around the table but once or twice. I remember eating at the Cheesecake Factory, last year around Christmas time, and our waitress only brought me a soda refill once the whole hour we were there. Legit drank my first cup in about 15 minutes and didn't get a refill until we were about to pay for the check and leave. I get that they were more than likely busy because it's the holiday season, but there's no excuse for having to share a drink with my girlfriend almost the whole time we were there.

I love the fact that Japan is a no tipping culture. I haven't had to do any tipping for over 2 years.

In the US, I tip, but only because the culture makes it practically mandatory. I do it based on service and my mood, but TBH, I'm probably considered a lousy tipper because I most of the time give it on the low end (less than 20% most of the time - probably closer to 15%). 20% is amazing service to me. If you give me terrible service, I give nothing.

Restaurants shouldn't be paying wait staff less than minimum wage. And people should give good service without the tip expectation. I get AMAZING customer service in Japan, and there is no tipping.

I wish each of you had to have experience working in retail and the food industry so you could gain some empathy.

first time i went to the states, i was at a small restaurant in new york and the staff basically demanded a tip from me, and i was like wtf

i didnt kno about the tipping culture there

In the USA I'll usually tip 15-20%. In rare cases when the service is (extremely) bad then no tip. Here in Germany, tips are already included in the bill - although I might leave extra if the service was phenomenal. Many tourists here in Germany and France don't realize that the tip is included however, and leave extra. Good for touristy restaurants and cafes. :p

In the USA I'll usually tip 15-20%. In rare cases when the service is (extremely) bad then no tip. Here in Germany, tips are already included in the bill - although I might leave extra if the service was phenomenal. Many tourists here in Germany and France don't realize that the tip is included however, and leave extra. Good for touristy restaurants and cafes. :p

yes, i was in a restaurant in koln, wonderful food, hearty portion sizes and a good price. i noted the tip was already added on to the bill, but that didnt stop me throwing down a few more euro

Yes I do somewhat.. if I can because when you pay with card they sometimes forget to tell you total sum lol

It's not a common practice here to leave tips, unfortunately. At least, not in restaurants. I usually leave tips for other service-related jobs that involves one people (taxi driver, delivery, hairdresser, etc) We don't usually tip unless the service is really good.

Back