• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tipping at Restuarants

saehanfox

K-Fox
Bells
For those of you who live in countries with a tipping culture, do you always tip at least 15%?
To me, tipping is optional since the waiters are already getting paid. Since I don't have a lot of money right now, I sometimes tip 10% or not at all.

Last edited:
I'm 13 so I really have no reason to tip much. omo
But if I am eating out with my friends or something, I tip at least 18%. My mom is a waitress part-time, and it's really tough. I feel like they deserve compensation for having to deal with so many loud, rude and annoying customers every day.

my mom always tips, the amount depending on how good the service was/wait time/etc etc
im not old enough to buy my own food yet

I always tip when given the chance. I don't at drive-thrus though, since I usually tip on a credit card receipt.

I only tip 10 percent. Even if they are terrible or go above and beyond.

I tip 16% to all. if she's a cute chick I'll add another 2% right in there.

Tipping is not optional. Waiters are paid well below minimum wage and expected to make up the rest in tips. If you don't have the money to tip you don't have the money to go out to eat.

I try and tip 20%. I usually get good service, too, so I don't have to tip less. I even tip 20% to pizza delivery and carry outs.

Last edited:
Tipping is not optional. Waiters are paid well below minimum wage and expected to make up the rest in tips. If you don't have the money to tip you don't have the money to go out to eat.

I try and tip 20%. I usually get good service, too, so I don't have to tip less. I even tip 20% to pizza delivery and carry outs.

- - - Post Merge - - -

gotta love double posts :0

- - - Post Merge - - -

...tipping is optional lmfao
In the UK it's against the law to employ somebody and pay them under minimum wage. Minimum wage isn't as low as it is in other countries, so even if you're working on minimum wage then it's not exactly the worst case scenario.

Employees in restaurants will always get paid, regardless. It's not up to anybody but their employer to pay them. Not us.

I always tip, normally 20% for a really good service, 15% standard and 10% for a meh service. Though I find it annoying if restaurants automatically add tips to your bill, for example at our work Christmas meal at Sloppy Joes we all paid individually, after having already paid a ?5 deposit and getting our drinks on a separate bill, and they added ?6 to each of our bills!! So instead of paying ?13.95 (would've been ?18.95 without the deposit) I had to pay ?19.95, so we were each forced to pay way more than the standard for a tip! Heck, I was going to pay them a 25% tip since we were being rather loud and they had put up with us for 3 hours, it was annoying since I had to pay on my card- my money in my account is running low :/ - when I had put aside ?17 in cash to pay...

Though I work in a restaurant and we aren't allowed to take tips, if we get given a tip it has to go in the zoo charity box for the zoo's African reserve. I can't complain though, I get paid above minimum wage and I'll get my pay rise in January once my probation ends so I don't need to take tips.

Yes, I always tip. Waiters and waitresses have to put up with so many rude and annoying customers each day, so I think it's only fair to leave a tip as a "motivator" as such.

I was a waitress for 7 years, so yeah I tip. I know how awful it is and how hard you work for it.

20% for above and beyond, 18% if they are prompt and friendly, 15% of they're just doing the basics, 10% if they're lacking in service, but 0 if they piss me off XD

Also, for us Americans, I definitely agree with, "If you don't have the money to tip, you don't have the money to go out to eat."

Last edited:
I tip based on the service I receive. If they show some personality and are very nice, they will get a $5. If they're average, like they just serve you and don't really leave an impression on me, they'll get $2-$3. Anything worst than that, I don't tip.

I'm only 13, but here in good ol Murica it's considered very rude to not tip waiters with some $2.xx/hour pay for them. I think that 15-20% is an appropriate amount for a tip.

...tipping is optional lmfao
In the UK it's against the law to employ somebody and pay them under minimum wage. Minimum wage isn't as low as it is in other countries, so even if you're working on minimum wage then it's not exactly the worst case scenario.

Employees in restaurants will always get paid, regardless. It's not up to anybody but their employer to pay them. Not us.
UK =/= US.

Waiters, except in select areas, are paid well under minimum wage as an incentive to provide better service. Federal law lets tipped employees be paid as little as $2.13 an hour. So yeah, it's necessary for them to even make minimum wage.

As long as the waiter/waitress is friendly enough I usually tip at least 20%. If they're totally rude then of course it'd be less than that, but I don't think I've ever had really bad service before so that's never been a problem.

This is what I don't like about tipping. "you HAVE to tip". No, I don't. If I don't have enough money to tip that doesn't mean I shouldn't stop myself going out to eat.
Sure, it's not nice that these people have a crappy job, but it shouldn't stop you from doing things just because they don't get paid very much. "You're not allowed to enjoy your own money because these people don't get much money". Really, at what point is that your problem?

In the UK we have laws for minimum wage, so the fact that 'tipping' has made its way over here really bugs the crap out of me since it's essentially a redundant thing for us to do. It's not as widespread as it is in the US but it is becoming more and more common.
It's just annoying that we have it since waiters will be earning (by law) the same as people such as some manual laborers, desk jobs, store workers etc so why should they have a tip? Somebody working in a busy office can't beg you for a tip, so why should a waiter in the UK when they get the same wage?

I've had a few places that have asked "will you be leaving a tip?" to which I just replied "I don't believe in tipping" and it was left as that. Most places leave it as an option at the end of a receipt or when you're paying with card, so I just ignore it.
I've had one person who's actually 'chased me' for a tip, to which I nearly punched him in the face.

Back