• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why does the South have bad statistics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
I look at the statistics of many kinds, and the states that are bottom ranked in many categories are mostly southern states, especially the "deep south" with Texas occasionally making it to the bottom ten. It kinda bothers me because I like the south more than the rest of the US. It's also a Republican stronghold, and I am affiliated with the right wing.

Stats with southern states ranked low:

• Crime rate (including some in-depth rates)
  • Obesity
  • Poverty
  • Education
  • Diseases (including some in-depth rates)
  • Corruption
  • Misery
  • Livability
  • And more to name

I'm not trying to insult the southern US for having bad grades in all that. It's just that they are not as well performing in those categories while the Northeast rank very high in these categories.

Is the south doing this bad because of the party in control? Or is it for other reasons, such as demographics, backstory, or anything else?

Last edited:
Yeah, probably. If it makes you feel better, the South probably has a better chance surviving the Zombie Apocalypse than the North.

Last edited:
The south has more, racism and homophobia than most states. Also more religiously moved, which isn't necessarily good.

The south has more, racism and homophobia than most states. Also more religiously moved, which isn't necessarily good.

I don't think that's causing the crime rates or poverty. But I can point out the stuff we do better in than the rest.

Well a lot of those factors are closely related to each other.
In areas where you see high amounts of poverty you are likely to see a spike in poor education which leads to these negative statistics of obesity, diseases, crime rate, etc.

These all fall under the determinants of health. The determinants of health revolve around the social, physical, and economic behaviour of individuals, as well as the individual's own life style choices.
Here are some of the determinants of health taken directly from the world health organization's website:
"Income and social status - higher income and social status are linked to better health. The greater the gap between the richest and poorest people, the greater the differences in health.
Education – low education levels are linked with poor health, more stress and lower self-confidence.
Physical environment – safe water and clean air, healthy workplaces, safe houses, communities and roads all contribute to good health. Employment and working conditions – people in employment are healthier, particularly those who have more control over their working conditions
Social support networks – greater support from families, friends and communities is linked to better health. Culture - customs and traditions, and the beliefs of the family and community all affect health.
Genetics - inheritance plays a part in determining lifespan, healthiness and the likelihood of developing certain illnesses. Personal behaviour and coping skills – balanced eating, keeping active, smoking, drinking, and how we deal with life’s stresses and challenges all affect health.
Health services - access and use of services that prevent and treat disease influences health
Gender - Men and women suffer from different types of diseases at different ages."
To read more about this, you can go here http://www.who.int/hia/evidence/doh/en/
I also suggest checking out your own government's page about health.
For reference here's what the CDC has http://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/
it's pretty minimal and links back to WHO
and here's Canada's http://cbpp-pcpe.phac-aspc.gc.ca/public-health-topics/social-determinants-of-health/

Well a lot of those factors are closely related to each other.
In areas where you see high amounts of poverty you are likely to see a spike in poor education which leads to these negative statistics of obesity, diseases, crime rate, etc.

These all fall under the determinants of health. The determinants of health revolve around the social, physical, and economic behaviour of individuals, as well as the individual's own life style choices.
Here are some of the determinants of health taken directly from the world health organization's website:
"Income and social status - higher income and social status are linked to better health. The greater the gap between the richest and poorest people, the greater the differences in health.
Education – low education levels are linked with poor health, more stress and lower self-confidence.
Physical environment – safe water and clean air, healthy workplaces, safe houses, communities and roads all contribute to good health. Employment and working conditions – people in employment are healthier, particularly those who have more control over their working conditions
Social support networks – greater support from families, friends and communities is linked to better health. Culture - customs and traditions, and the beliefs of the family and community all affect health.
Genetics - inheritance plays a part in determining lifespan, healthiness and the likelihood of developing certain illnesses. Personal behaviour and coping skills – balanced eating, keeping active, smoking, drinking, and how we deal with life’s stresses and challenges all affect health.
Health services - access and use of services that prevent and treat disease influences health
Gender - Men and women suffer from different types of diseases at different ages."
To read more about this, you can go here http://www.who.int/hia/evidence/doh/en/
I also suggest checking out your own government's page about health.
For reference here's what the CDC has http://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/
it's pretty minimal and links back to WHO
and here's Canada's http://cbpp-pcpe.phac-aspc.gc.ca/public-health-topics/social-determinants-of-health/

Thanks for the information. I thought it would be related to some of their politics, but it's more likely something else.

At least we southerners have right-to-work laws, lower debt per capita, more religious people, and lower taxes. These are the downfalls the Northeast has.

Thanks for the information. I thought it would be related to some of their politics, but it's more likely something else.
No problem! A lot of people don't realize that things aren't black and white in this world and there's a whole systematic reason behind things.

At least we southerners have right-to-work laws, lower debt per capita, more religious people, and lower taxes. These are the downfalls the Northeast has.
Eh.. that is subjective, But to each their own! :)

I don't see how more religious people is an upside? I have no problem with those who are religious, but when there are more religious people there are more extremists who spew hateful thoughts. Every person I know who follows a religion is super sweet (my grandma is super catholic), but that doesn't mean that all of them are.
Princess pretty much covered it all, though. A lot of negative things can turn into a never ending cycle.

I don't see how more religious people is an upside? I have no problem with those who are religious, but when there are more religious people there are more extremists who spew hateful thoughts. Every person I know who follows a religion is super sweet (my grandma is super catholic), but that doesn't mean that all of them are.
Princess pretty much covered it all, though. A lot of negative things can turn into a never ending cycle.

That may be true, but I'm the kind of person who sees religion as a good thing, except for the extremists. And what about the right-to-work laws?

Might have something to do with more rural areas in the Southern states versus more densily populated area in the north.

Like said before, it all kinda blends together. More industry means more need for educated workers, means better education, etc.

I think also different political views are hugely determined by that. Even in Holland in less populated areas like the northeast and southeast, people tend to be more focused on differences. Mostly because they barely know any people with different culture, lifestyles, etc.

You also see this in huge cities, because people cluster together and interact very little with different clusters.

Cities where there is a lot of unemployment often have higher crimerates, worse nutrition, etc. Detroit comes to mind.
Ofcourse I just watch the news.

I can't offer much in the way of stats, but I can't help but jump in to say that I find it odd that the south has worse crime rates than the north?

I mean, maybe if the midwest/mountain states are part of the nothern states' stats and if we get awful southern Cali in ours, but seriously. When I think ****ty crime rates, I think New York City, Niagara Falls/Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago..
Generally speaking, I think much farther north than where I live now, or I think Louisiana. Lol.

Last edited:

so you're saying atheists are a 'downfall'? great, what exactly do we do thats so bad for society?

...at least the Northeast doesn't have ****ty statistics

- - - Post Merge - - -

Granted when it comes to corruption we DO have Chris Christie. So yeah.

the south sucks, enough said
esp where i live

theres more commerce + whatever in the north/northeast and its more exciting there tbh

people think of industry and commerce and good stuff when they hear/read 'north' but they think of agriculture and wild animals when they hear/read 'south'. idk but a city sounds better than a ranch.

The South has good people that mean well. If I have have ever felt more different from a region of the country it's people from the North East. They are stuck up, over emotional, and rude. I've only had dealings with people from upstate New York though. They also hate Canadians for some reason. I listened to an ex and her family go on and on about how trashy and easy Canadian girls are, and honestly I was even offended.

When you're defending people from one place it's not right to insult people from another.
There are good and bad people everywhere. :L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back