Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Classic Easter Egg
Zen Easter Egg
Golden Easter Egg
Zen Easter Egg
Classic Easter Egg
Hey everyone! I've taken quite an interest to Computer Science recently and I've already been accepted into UNB for Computer Sciences. I am wondering if any of you have the same interests and what languages you like to use. If there is enough interest I was thinking we could possibly work on some community project for the forums.

I'm currently starting out by learning vB, Python, and Swift. I'm by no means amazing haha. Next semester I have a Comp Science 120 class where we learn Java. I also have a "Senior Project" class that takes two periods where I think I'm going to make some kind of RPG game!

i know like nothing about computer languages
i taught myself HTML and CSS if that counts
i want to learn ruby so i can make/edit RPGVXA scripts

i tried to learn python in like 6th grade but if i did learn anything, ive forgotten it by now

Yes! It's about time there was a thread for this kind of stuff. Although I don't do much programming, visual programming is something I have found myself researching before.

I really want to major in computer science but not sure if it'll fit for me lol.
But I would like to know how it goes for you! if that made sense ;_;

I really want to major in computer science but not sure if it'll fit for me lol.
But I would like to know how it goes for you! if that made sense ;_;

Yeah, you make sense!
A lot of it is just how you think. I think very logically so I tend to do fairly well. (I spend classes helping classmates because they don't know how to analyze their own code.)

I'd like to learn Python, and when I eventually start, I'll try with the "Learning Python the Hard Way" site that's so popular.
I did take a basic web design course that involved Javascript, and I found it fun to solve the problems thrown at me, but I think I lost most of my Javascript knowledge, and I'm really not too interested in it. If I was going into actual development, it would be useful to learn, but I just want do this kind of thing as a hobby right now.

Also, Trundle, I'm surprised that Swift is already being taught.

I'd like to learn Python, and when I eventually start, I'll try with the "Learning Python the Hard Way" site that's so popular.
I did take a basic web design course that involved Javascript, and I found it fun to solve the problems thrown at me, but I think I lost most of my Javascript knowledge, and I'm really not too interested in it. If I was going into actual development, it would be useful to learn, but I just want do this kind of thing as a hobby right now.

Also, Trundle, I'm surprised that Swift is already being taught.

Haha, it isn't I don't think. I'm learning from Apple's eBook about it!

Oh, that makes sense. What do you think of Swift so far compared to the other languages you're learning?

I graduated in I.T systems but I'm not the "left side of the brain", I mean, I'm not good with codes and numbers so the only languages I know are HTML and CSS, althought I really like it.

Oh, that makes sense. What do you think of Swift so far compared to the other languages you're learning?

It has been pretty interesting from what I've learned (pretty much a bit over the basics). I'm running OS X Yosemite from VMWare on my laptop so I can use XCode. It looks very efficient and I feel like it will be a good thing to learn as it is new and will be for quite some time.

I have a lot of experience in Visual Basic and HTML. I am currently doing an A level at A2 project in HTML integrating PHP, an online booking website. Nothing too complex, its just a college project to learn the foundations.
Also using MySQL with the PHP to store users so they can log in. A bit of CSS thrown in too.

I'd love to learn code someday. I'm super interested in technology (heck, I spend 7 hours of my day messing around online) so it's something I think I could do well in. Maybe my Mac will finally be good for something.

I'm currently in my second year as a Java developer, working primarily with XML and Swing (the standard Java GUI framework.) My college actually used JavaScript in the introductory courses and then Java in the intermediate ones, but if I could go back I'd start with C. I say that mainly because I like to understand things from the bottom-up as much as possible, but there's something to be said about starting with a higher-level language and peeling away the metaphors.

I'd encourage anyone who is considering learning programming to give it a shot. Even if you're still young, there's plenty out there online and in books to help you learn. Many programmers, arguably some of the best, have been self-taught.

No matter what, though, know that as a hobby or as a career it will command a lot of gumption. Debugging for some people can be the most frustrating thing in the world, while others (like me) may struggle with the more creative aspect of it -- formulating the problem and crafting its solution. Still, if you're the kind of person who enjoys seeing your ideas realized, then the rewards can make it worth the struggle, even if all you're getting the computer to do is to print some words to the screen.

I've heard of that, and by all means give it a shot. I used this site when I had to learn it one summer in advance of a gig: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/. I found it quite helpful, though by that point I was an intermediate student in programming. It does start with the necessary basics you'll need.

Python is a great language both for beginners and experts. It may be a while before you fully appreciate how nifty it can be, though. ;)

Last edited:
I've heard of that, and by all means give it a shot. I used this site when I had to learn it one summer in advance of a gig: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/. I found it quite helpful, though by that point I was an intermediate student in programming. It does start with the necessary basics you'll need.

That link is effectively all my early 1st year programming notes from learning python at uni (minus the scientific bits). Lazy lecturers! But I can vouch for their usefulness in starting out.

STEM is at my school and we have three branches. idk im deciding between computer sciences and biotech because i love learning about disease and **** but im interested in coding too?? **** aerospace tho im not doing that lmaoo

you guys talkin bout yer python and raspberry pi and stem and im just sittin here with my HTML + CSS

Back