• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokemon Omega Ruby or Super Smash Bros 4?

Which game??

• Pokemon Omega Ruby

Votes: 37 84.1%
  • Super Smash Bros

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

kasane

Bells
Red Feather
Green Feather
Blue Feather
White Feather
Pokéball
Yellow Feather
I may be able to get another 3DS game from my parents soon, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get... :(
First things first, I'm in New Zealand, so generally, games are not cheap at all. 3DS games can range from $70-$85 in Retail shops, even after a year (Animal Crossing New Leaf). So I buy online, and both of the games are $60.

I only developed an interest in Pokemon this year, thanks to one of my friends giving me a copy of Pokemon Emerald on an emulator, which triggered me to get Pokemon X. I really liked the third generation, and since Pokemon OR/AS is a remake, and I played the Demo version, I find it pretty interesting.
As for Super Smash Bros, I haven't played any previous installments (please don't hate me), but I also received a Demo code to play it and I found myself being amused seeing the Villager beating everyone up. I would've bought Super Smash Bros for the Wii U, but sadly my parents didn't let me buy a Wii U...

I doubt my dad will let me buy both of the games for $120 altogether. I got ACNL ~3-4 months after its release and Pokemon X only 2 months ago. So that kind of explains how hard it would be to make up my mind...I know I'll find both of them very enjoyable, but yeah the price for both of them really bugs me >_>

Oh, and I forgot to mention...
I don't get pocket money. I usually don't ask for a lot and I'm a somewhat cheapskate as well.
I usually play alone due to the fact that a) all of my friends are not interested in any 3DS games and b) hardly anyone that's in NZ plays these, let alone own a 3DS (i think chibi.hoshi might be the only person that's currently in nz who plays these games like me)
My only interest would be to buy Pokemon merchandise and 3DS related games o_o

Last edited:
I would say Smash Bros, since you get to have fun with families and friends.

But then again, you don't have a Wii U and games are expensive where you live.

Pokemon ORAS is the way to go as well.

Last edited:
I would say Smash Bros, since you get to have fun with families and friends.

But then again, you don't have a Wii U and games are expensive where you live.

Pokemon ORAS is the way to go as well.

I forgot to mention that my friends don't play any 3DS games, or own a 3DS >_<'
Updated original post :v

Pokemon ORAS for sure.

Smash for Wii U is kinda disappointing if you already have the 3DS version, half of the stages are brought back from 64/Melee/Brawl, the challenges are pretty lame, no adventure mode, that Mario Party thing is kinda underwhelming for an A-list game like SSB + it lacks two of my all time favorite characters (Wolf and Lucas), so I'm getting Omega Ruby first.

I know I'm complaining too much, it's still a good game but there was too much hype for something that is basically a watered down version of Brawl in HD. Save it for a Xmas deal.

My vote is on ORAS. I found Smash 3DS lost it's appeal very quickly - I've already sold my copy.

Last edited:
From what of your post that I've read, I concur with the others and opt for Pokemon ORAS. I feel like it'd be better option as you said in your post. I do think Super Smash Brothers would be a really fun game too but I feel that if you did like Pokemon more or have intent of getting more Pokemon merchandise, Pokemon ORAS would be the better option because it has alot of features and things in the games. Not to mention, it's like playing the 3rd generation (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) games in an essence. I'd recommend it personally because as a remake it seems fairly decent and I don't think you'd regret paying for it. But it's your decision and I do wish the best of luck with what you choose! :)

Omega Ruby, I know you want it badly.

I had to decided between the two myself. NZ prices....

I have both of the games pre-ordered and will hopefully be arriving on the same day, I can't wait to play them~
There wasn't a 'both' option so I picked pokemon over SSB4 ;u;

Based on your posts, I'd get ORAS.

Super Smash Bros. is fun, but it's more fun when you have other people to play with. From what I've seen and discussed with others, it's also more practical and nicer for the Wii U. Of course, if you really love it so much that you don't mind playing the 3DS version, you should get it.

ORAS, on the other hand, is a game you can play alone. If you want community-oriented features like trading Pok?mon, it's so much better to get it soon if you're a casual player like me. Within the first few months after the release of each game, there's more interest from other casual players, so things like trade are less low-pressure and include people who are trying to complete their Pok?dex. After that, I've noticed that most discussion and trading is about collecting shinies and competitive battling. If you liked Emerald and X&Y, you might enjoy ORAS, because it's similar to both and includes new features as well.

Smash doesn't really interest me unless I have others to play it with. When I was a kid me and my friends used to play Melee constantly and it was a blast. I don't understand a handheld SSB tbh. It's purely a console game for me, for getting a group together to play (I know there's online play but that's not what I'm talking about).

For this reason I'd say go for ORAS, if you're anything like me. If you're playing on your own I just feel like Pok?mon is much more well suited.

They're both really fun games and that would be a hard choice for me. But if it were me deciding, I would get OR before SSB. Pokemon games just have so much to offer, especially this remake.

I definitely vote Pokemon. I have both, and play Pokemon alot more. I think the last time I played Smash was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Really though, why compare the 2?

One's a fighting game that's really good with friends and family.

While the other is a JRPG with a long single player experience.

Most of the people really prefer Pokemon ORAS over Smash 4 is mostly because they grew up more with Pokemon than Smash Bros (You poor souls you, you missed out on the fun times).
Likewise, I never officially played a main-series Pokemon game until Diamond & Pearl, so for me, I missed out on the Pokemon hype more than Smash Bros. Mostly because I wasn't that good with RPGs back then (Secret of Mana on the GBA was my first one and I got lost in that game for a while), but the spinoff games of Pokemon Stadium 2 & Pokemon Colosseum kept my Pokemon taste throughout as a kid.
It really comes down to how much fun a game has.

Pokemon is actually pretty fun, but they're a few times in the game in which it has it's faults.

Like in Pokemon X & Y, where you fight gym after gym, then suddenly stop battling gyms for a while and get into the main plot of the game, then you tackle every gym after that in no time.
Really is a pace breaker that also shares with some of the Generation IV stuff.

Smash Bros has been keeping me entertained throughout the years, and especially if you have friends & family....fun times ahead.
Or you can just play online mode, it's not like anyone's going to stop you.

There, my Smash Fanboying is over.
I'm going to go over there and play A Link Between Worlds, bye bye!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! c:

As of now, I'm thinking of getting Pokemon Omega Ruby over Super Smash Bros 4.
Unless I had a Wii U, then I'd probably get SSB4 for the Wii U, seeing that there is plenty more to offer there than on the 3DS console. And even though my friends don't own a 3DS/Wii U, I would still be able to drag them over to my house and make them play. If only I had a Wii Uಠ_ಠ

I like both games but I would rather get Pokemon Alpha Sapphire than Super Smash Bros 4.

Back