Green Feather
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Okay, basically I was going to go to university this summer just passed. I got in, I moved into student halls and I came to the conclusion that I hated it. I hated the atmosphere in the student halls, I hated the city (Leeds) and most of all I hated being away from my family and my home town (Brighton). Since then, I have repaid all of my debts off and moved back in with my family in Brighton (I say family in Brighton because my parents are divorced, so I like to think I have two separate families). Anyway, I've decided to just settle on going to the university local to me. As I completely withdrew my UCAS application (the big online program you use to apply for universities) I have to take a gap year before going into education, which means having to find a job and working full-time.

Lately I've realised that I rely on other people too much. I don't like doing some things by myself, like going into town (the city centre of Brighton) to go job hunting. I've never tried it, and I don't really want to try it by myself, which is why I usually do it when I'm meeting a friend. A question has been daunting me as of lately; why must I have company to job hunt? Don't get me wrong, I don't have some irrational fear of being alone. In fact, I really like being alone. I prefer being by myself sometimes (I feel as though I have to clarify that being alone doesn't necessarily mean that I'm lonely. I am not a lonely person.) And it's also not because I can't get things done on my own. I'm a very dependent person, however when it comes to this certain thing I am not.

Getting to the point of this thread, are there some things which you just can't do without the company of other human beings? Like for me it's evidently visiting shops and communicating with people that can potentially be my future employer.

nah I'm pretty independent. if I have to do something I'll do it myself; like going to a doctors appointment myself, or drive to the store or get a haircut. I don't know lol. I do things myself. I even hate study groups. I like doing things myself for the most part

- - - Post Merge - - -

now I'm not totally independent. I live with my parents and they pay all my bills. I'm blessed and not going anywhere any time soon lol

I've discovered that when the time comes, people can become independent very quickly. One day you'll have no choice and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll adapt.

As Jas0n said. You eventually reach an age where you need to tell yourself "okay, I'm an adult now. I'm 20-something years old. I don't need mommy holding my hand anymore when I talk to strangers." You just have to get out into the world and take responsibility for your own life.

At the office I worked at, we honestly had some kid's mother come turn in her son's job application for him because he was too shy or something. If you think we didn't laugh about that after she left and toss that application in the garbage, you are wrong. If he didn't have the motivation to go get a job himself, then too bad for him. We halfway considered granting an interview to the mother though...

Well aside from the fact that I still currently live with my parents (making the hassle of dealing with bills non existent) I would say I'm rather independent.

I do most household things myself, such as washing clothes, cooking for myself, cleaning. (I do it for myself only, the rest of the household are rather messy). I even go out and buy my own 'groceries', which all amounts to me paying near enough nothing as rent, since there's barely anything I don't do for myself outside of using gas and electricity.

As for spending time with other people? Eh, not really. I do hang around with friends regularly but even that is once a week at the most. I just enjoy time to myself. When I do, it's usually me getting things done since the rest seem more than happy to let somebody else do things such a 'ask for tickets'.

Within work, I dunno...I've gotten most of my jobs myself, but I've also gotten them via an agency (who are people who find a job for you). I would still class it as independent though since I had the initiative to actually sign up for an agency...Plus at least half of jobs in my area are done through agencies, so it would be stupid of me not to use one.

Back