• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Anyone else feel trapped/smothered at school?

Do you feel trapped/smothered at school?

• Nah, my school's chill.

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Yes.

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • I'm not a student at school.

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters
My school is fine, college and all. I know it's much busier, but you know, grown up stuff, and all that.

I can't say the same for when I used to go to public school, middle school was probably the worst in this category.

When I used to go to public school, I was in the special ed program because I have PDD-NOS. Basically I get overwhelmed easier. In middle school, they set me up with a teacher aid. With whoever was my aid, they never helped me. I think they made most situations worse for me. They would always stand over me, I could never shake them off. It was at the beginning at the point I was getting depressed about school, and that might of helped trigger it. Now I cannot stand when people look over me, there's this...familiar anxiety and I just can't take it.

My school's hella fine.
Yea, we have to wear school uniform but I like it aha, we can sit/talk wherever we want except staffrooms or out of bounds areas..but normally everyone has their own small groups and the years hang out with their years/classmates. Yea, we have rules, some might feel trapped because they're stupid af, while others don't. We can go to the bathroom everyday, but not really after lunch or recess because it makes no sense.

Last year, my highschool had three grades with ~100 people each. This year, there are four grades. I'll just leave it at that before I snap.
??
I've read from somewhere that you can get a doctor's note forbidding ANYONE of authority from denying, or depriving you of, any form of bathroom access.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a hold of one of those. I don't see the doctor for a while, though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

someone needs to burn your school down man cus everything just sounds horrible. I'd go crazy.
ikr. We aren't even allowed umbrellas or black gloves, even though it's cold and raining a lot nowadays.

- - - Post Merge - - -

"
Sure okay how about I just piss on your floor would that make you happy???

I wish I could say this to my teachers.

I remember feeling like this a lot Freshman to Junior year in high school. Especially in classes where there were people who had been bullying me a lot over the years. Senior year the feeling went away though, but I think its because I was so focused on graduating, and I had a lot of classes with friends who were able to stand up for me when the bullying occurred in class.

In college I dont feel this way unless its a really boring 3 hour class :x

I used to feel smothered from middle school up to high school (because I wasn't a fan of most of my peers, teachers, or what was being taught in class), but once I was in university I had a lot more freedom. I still hated doing most of my GE stuff, but it was a beautiful campus and I could finally take classes that I was interested in. :'3 Plus my professors were really awesome.

LOL So about the bathroom floor, my friend was like (to me not the teacher)

"Oh, so I can't go to the bathroom? Okay then, how about I take a dump/piss on your floor and YOU get to clean it up!"
Why are we denied bathroom access though. I SWEAR IM ABOUT TO WALK OUT AND JUST GO THE NEXT TIME SHE SAYS NO!

wow I feel sorry for some of ya'll :((

We had a spanish 'teacher' i say that loosely cuz he was really the band teacher but the school kinda forced him to teach spanish so all we did is watch movies and listen to selena so he could get out his contract and go to this other school he wanted to go to but anywayyy

he would only let us use the restroom if we said it in spanish, so if i ever get lost in mexico at least I know i can get directions to the restroom.

-you can only go to the bathroom during lunch. that's it.
-the hallways are divided in half by a white line. you must stay on the right side. you must stay on the right side. if you are caught on the left side, you're ****ed.
-you can only stay on your floor the entire time, unless you are on the first floor of the school.
-no mechanical pencils.

it's alright.

• Interesting topic of discussion, with the poll serving as a useful accessory to the discussion. +2
  • First choice employs less terse language than is typically found in poll choices. ("Nah, my school's chill.") This adds a nice personal touch. +1
  • Allows an option for people not currently in school. While this may seem like a good idea, all it will really do is serve to skew the data unnecessarily. If people are not enrolled in school they may still have plenty to add to the discussion, but they can simply skip the poll. -1

Your poll has received a 12/10. HOLY ****.

Sounds awful.

And just social problems,not the uniform ones.I actually enjoy uniforms because no one can judge you about what you are wearing.I slurred in my art class so my art teacher ignored me.The rest of my classes are...interesting.
Just that everyone turned like a complete 180* from last year.They were all so positive and now whenever I see them,glaring and frowning at me like I am a devil.

one of the advantages of having such a large school where there's roughly 4,000 students excluding the 1,000 freshman on the other campus is that there isn't much pressure about what you wear, because literally there are so many people here that nobody really gives a crap unless you make a habit of drawing attention to yourself.

as for the original topic, yeah school is rather all-consuming. like i used to joke about my "designer" eye bags but its not even funny anymore

this thread is smothering the beloved brewster's cafe and is helping it turn into the therapist tree
2.5/10

All the rules make me feel (not too sure what the word for it is) smothered. Wearing the ugly uniform bums me out. We're always being herded into areas of the school like we're sheep. It's hard for different year groups to talk to each other because we've all got our individual areas to be in at breaktimes, and we're not allowed in other areas. I'm sick of having teachers looming over me while I eat lunch, how I'm asked a kajillion times "Where are you going?" when I'm trying to travel through the school hallway at breaktimes, and being denied access to the toilets on a daily basis (despite it being a basic human right).

Anyone else feel like this? Feel free to share any interesting stories.

This sounds exactly like my school to be honest. Especially the way the years are all separated. The only way you can talk to people of different ages is by standing outside, which is awful in winter. If you try and talk to them inside you just get "GO TO YOUR OWN SOCIAL AREA! Your year group isn't allowed in here!"

You also get questioned if you don't stay in your social area at break, like you said. Every time I go to the library I have suspicious teachers stalking me through the halls until I get there.

We're also only allowed to use toilets at break time and lunchtime. If you need to go in lessons, you're told to 'hold it in'. The teacher will either say "You should have known you'd need to go at break time, you can't be desperate" (in which case I think I'm sorry, I don't choose when I need the toilet) or they just won't let you out of lessons because they'll think you're trying to sneak to the toilets to do drugs with your friends. They obviously don't have very high hopes for us, despite the school never having an issue with drugs.

Back