• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Curly hair tips and tricks/ general curly hair thread

Kissyme100

❀੯ू❛ัू &#379
Bells
3 Envelopes
I have natural curly hair (3B curls to be exact) and know that taking care of curly hair can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

So, I thought I would make a thread about it. So, feel free to post about anything curly hair related. For example: You could post things like, your favorite hair product, how to style your hair, your favorite people/celebs with curly hair and more!

So, Here's a couple of basic tips for curly hair care. A lot of this stuff is easily found online and easy to do.

Moisture- I often hair my friend's complain about how dry their hair is, so here's some solution to this problem!

Deep condition: When you deep condition you replenish your hair's moisture and you improve it's elasticity and overall health. What you use to deep condition and hoe often you do is up to you. I do an overnight deep condition once a month and I do a short deep condition whenever I bathe/shower.

Product Buildup- I use products every day to style my hair and after a while it begins to build up and weights my hair down. My solution to it? Grapefruit! Grapefruit juice will remove parabens and waxes that are weighting you down. Grapefruit also promotes hair growth, treats dandruff and adds shine.

So, do you have any tips for curly hair? What type of curls do you have?

Ooooo, love curly hair!!!! My hair is naturally wavy/straight, but I have some great no-heat necessary hair curlers that can last the whole day when I'm out. They're called 'wrap snap and go', and all you do is sleep with them in and take them out in the morning (remembering to add hairspray). Not only that, they're also the only sleep-in hair curlers that add some volume to them too, and they're super comfortable ~ no wires.

My hair is waist length and they work great with them. I had to pay ?20 for them because of postage from America (I spent weeks looking for them elsewhere with cheaper postage, but no) so Americans could probably get them a lot cheaper than that.

Wrap_Snap_Go_Comfort_Hair_Rollers1.jpg

Posted a picture on the 'what do you look like' thread of the results not long ago, but if you want an example here, then I can dig up a photo from somewhere.

i have gross curly hair that i hate so i cut it all off. i havent had real curls since i was like...early teens. i refuse to have those dreaded beasts ever again, theyre disgusting
i know some people can pull it off tho. sometimes i get jealous of them :p but eh.

I have naturally curly hair and when I was younger I used to hate it! Oh god I just wanted to cut it off. I begged and begged my step mom for a hair straightener and thought my life would be so much better with straight hair lol well, as it turns out, I hated straightening my hair all the time. I did it though and that was really bad on my hair so I eventually stopped and only did it if I knew I'd be around other people.

Now though, I like my hair curly. It's a lot cuter and a lot less work. I appreciate it more because it's just what I normally look like and if I can't accept how I normally look, why should I expect anyone else to? If you've got curls, flaunt them because they're beautiful.

I personally don't do anything special to my hair besides leave in conditioner and anti humidity serum because if I don't my curls become frizzy! I would love to see tips though so maybe I could better take care of my own curls :)

Curly hair of all types are beautiful but I really dislike my curly hair so I get Yuko permanent straightening done. I just don't have the patience for it, and I don't like the way it coils and feels. For dryness i always use oil for help keep my hair soft.

Brush your hair. (duh, i know, but still.)
That's the biggest thing I can offer.
I have insanely thick, course, and naturally curly hair.
Before I cut my hair last week, I had hair long enough that I could sit on it. Hair that long and heavy led to some problems, especially after showers... Long story short, I got too lazy to comb it and kept it in a bun to sleep in for a couple days; I ended up with 3 softball size matts that resulted in a lot of crying, some blood, three broken brushes, and a horrible last resort hackjob that left me with little to no hair in the back of my head.

Any recommendations on frizz-combating agents?

I have 3c hair which touches my breast when straight, but shrinks up to just above my shoulders when curly. I have tons of small, tight curls and ringlets. Ojon products are really good for me - they make my hair nice and soft and smell really nice.

I'd say that my hair is like this:

photo-2.jpg

I have natural wavy hair that curls gently. I can go four to five days without washing my hair because of the massive change I have made to my hair routine.
I am a curly girl and follow the no 'poo' method which means using no harsh detergents (shampoo) on your hairs. Did you know how horrific the ingredients are within your bottle of shampoo and conditioner? Shampoo contains stripping detergents that take the natural oils away leaving very frizzy and uncontrollable hair (your hair needs that natural oil). Conditioner contains silicons that give the impression your hair is soft where in actual fact your hair isn't gaining any of the benefit as the silicone only sit on top of the hair shaft without penetrating it. Silicons, water soluble ones, can only be removed with hasrh detergents such as Sodium Laureth Sulphate, found in most major branded Shampoos, and so the horrible cycle of washing your hair with chemicals rotates.

I used Organic Conditioner and my hair has never been better. I wash my hair thoroughly with conditioner and leave it to naturally dry - I used an old T-shirt to scrunch my hair (towels are too coarse in texture and will cause frizz). I then use coconut oil to keep my ends well moisturised.

Also never brush curly hair!! you will always cause your hair to frizz up, will cause knots and knats, as you are destroying that natural curl. Use your fingers to untangle instead and this will be easier if you do follow the curly girl no poo method as you're hair will be reaping the benefits.

You can find out more about the curly girl method by visiting either the US or UK based sites, youtube has some fantastic videos based on the curly girl method. Some curly girls stick to chemical based routines whereas others go towards the Organic routines. Its completely up to you what you decide but if you have uncontrollable curly frizzy hair, the curly girl no 'poo' method will really help you. It helped me and it helped me understand my hair a lot more as us curly girls have wonderful hair that needs listening to.

Here are a few sites of interest;
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/

http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/

I used to be a serious hair and beauty blogger and the no poo door opened for me when I was really struggling with my hair. It helped me an awful lot and I love my hair more than ever now :)

xxx

Last edited:
I have more wavy hair than curly, but sometimes I can get very soft curls in my hair. I would leave my hair natural rather than straightening it all the time (I do actually look after my hair very well though so it's not damaged at all), but it just looks awful. It'll frizz up throughout the day and get so thick and horrible, it just does not suit me. :( And then when it rains or if there is a slight bit of moisture in the air, my straightened hair will go all frizzy. ;_; So annoying. I just wish I could keep my hair straight, or I just wish it would look nice when it's natural.

well i've been transitioning for almost year now (yay) and I have 3b/3c hair. since my hair is fairly long i'd say I have a 2 years to a year and a half left until i'm ready to cut the rest of the relaxed away. my tip for transitioning curly haired people is don't use too much heat. i flat iron every two weeks and I don't touch any more hot tools, no mas.

I have thick, long curly hair that curls on the bottom than the top. In the rare times that I receive compliments, it's mostly been about my hair, so I'm pretty proud of it. :) My hair care routine is pretty basic. I always have my hair wet whenever I brush it because if I don't, it poofs up and becomes very dry and static-y. After I take a shower, I wait for it to dry a little before I add some leave-in conditioner to make my hair less frizzy.

I have that puffy thick curly hair. There are days that I love my hair and then i hate it lol I have not found any good product for my hair. The only one that is really good for it was a product called colorless something curly hair gel something. Thing is though they don't make this product anymore :(((((((

I have completely straight hair, but I've always wanted to try soft curls at least once. How would one go about doing this?

A braid or twisty bun and some mousse/hairspray so you can get soft waves/curls that stay. If it's too straight it might fall out later on so try and use a good hold spray or something. There's a lot of tutorials on youtube ^^

My hair is curly/wavy. It used to be much curlier when I was younger but I didn't know how to take care of it at all! I used to brush it which is a NO for curly hair and I remember I would blow dry it but not go over it with a straightener so it was a big fluff ugh. Combing is always better than brushing. In middle school I discovered mousse and hair gel and ogodno gel is not good. It leaves that residue and dries out your hair so much. Like I just had no idea what to do back then and I used to just tie it up all the time. I had a phase where I straightened it so much and got bangs and yeah that wasn't good either. My hair has been through a lot LOL. In high school before it started my goal was to like, have nice wavy and not frizzy hair. So I researched a lot, experimented a lot of stuff. I've been using the same products since like 8th grade and I rarely ever get bad hair days anymore.
I use herbal essences curly or tousle mousse, coconut oil, Organix macadamia conditioner, and the shampoo for it as well. I also have been using head & shoulders shampoo/conditioner because I used to have such a dry scalp but I discovered it a few months ago and literally it went away. My scalp and hair is so moisturized.

I do a short deep conditioning with the macadamia or argan oil conditioner, leave it in for like 5 minutes and rinse. Don't use shampoo everyday, maybe every 3-4 days if you have dryness.
I deep condition a lot especially when I dye my hair, it's either that macadamia or I use coconut oil and almond oil for moisture and retention of color. My hair is now wavy but no frizz curls, a lot of people ask if I use heat but I don't besides my long bangs occasionally. And since it's long it doesn't puff up anymore so it's so manageable.

I've tried nexxus before and even though it's expensive it's worth it and lasts a long time, so I recommend that too.
Oh- and this might be one that you guys should try. It's called suave almond + shea butter conditioner and it's green. If you guys have heard of "co-washing" you should definitely try it with that if you're trying to stop using shampoo. It's literally $3 and I was surprised it works better than most high end conditioners out there. Suave used to be bad but this one really proved everyone wrong lol.

I hope this helps someone at least a little cause I know what it was like to have unmanageable hair.
Also, I want to try that grapefruit thing and see how it works!

Last edited:
I love curly hair.Mines just wavy.I used to perm it really curly when i was younger.The curlier the better.My daughter has beautiful thick, long,gorgeous curls.Luckily she likes them.Kids at school always ask her why she doesn't straighten them.These comments don't bother her.She has gorgeous hair and she knows it.

As far as how she fixes her hair-She washes it and lets it dry naturally.Her hair is not frizzy so she doesn't need gels or mouse.

i'm a 3b-3c and loving my fluffy hair tbh even though i get nagged to death about straightening it
like seriously stop i actually like my hair
i recommend coconut oil and washing every 3-4 days or so

Not sure if this is listed already, but I have wavy hair that gets curly when layered. I found the best way to control curls is to add large braids when wet, then let it dry. I then finger comb or use a wide-tooth comb.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have completely straight hair, but I've always wanted to try soft curls at least once. How would one go about doing this?

There are several options, you can try pincurls or braids (both done while hair is wet then left to dry); rollers which can be done on wet or dry hair depending on the type of roller, and curling irons. The larger the pincurl, braid, roller, or iron barrel, the looser the curl.

I have curly/wavy long hair(2B). When I was younger I straightened it everyday, and got Keratin treatments on it. On top of that I also dyed it black quite a few times. Let's just say I wasn't very kind to my hair back then.
I've now grown to embrace it. I got a big chop when I was 16. Stopped dying it, stopped straightening it and stopped getting treatments. Unfortunately I did not get my dad's hair(naturally black and straight), and it was time I accepted it.

I don't use drugstore bought shampoos/conditioners anymore. I also went through a "No poo" phase, but it wasn't for me. I now buy natural/organic products. I don't brush my hair, I comb it/detangle it instead. I don't use shampoos that are moisturizing anymore, they make my scalp oily and leave product build up. I use shampoos that clean and rinse clean, and then go in with a good conditioner. I do DYI coconut oil hairmasks every week also, since my hair is down to my hip. I lso put some jojoba oil on my hair after a washing and combing it. I trim it every 6 months or so, if I don't cut it my hair gets too long.

Conclusion:
-use clean products
-moisturize your hair
-comb/detangle your hair, don't brush it
-oils are good for you

Back