• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Whats the big deal with original villagers?

Cheahpet

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I don't get it! Im assuming original villagers are villager you start with when you first create your town... If this is the case is it that original villagers are more valuable because of the history that they have with the previous owner? Is this even what is meant by original? Help!

How "original" a villager is depends on how much about that villager as been changed, for example the shirt, catchphrase, house interior, etc. I guess people value originality more because when you get it more "original" it feels more like it's your own villager, not one you bought from someone else :p Also the personality of the villager is portrayed in his/her house, catchphrase, and outfit, so major changes with the villager almost seem to change their personality in a way.

People don't like random, unfitting furniture in their houses, silly catchphrases or clothes etc that can take a while to change back to the default ones. Especially with the catchphrase/clothing they could spread those to other villagers already in your town and it really is irritating.

I've also had villagers without their music boxes/music playing items or lights for example. You can't (I don't think) give music players to them and they will play music on them, so now two of my villagers have awkwardly silent houses ahah.

No, original means they are in their "original state"-all villagers, invited in via the campsite/moved in
come pre-packed with their own unique shirt and house. These are original villagers, however, if they change their furniture, clothes, or catchphrase, they are unoriginal.

Like for example, original Julian has a twinkle tee, his catchphrase is "Glitter" and this room:
HNI_00673.jpg

However, an example of an unoriginal Julian is mine: he still has a twinkle tee (but he can change it if you give him one/put up patterns in able sister's), his catch phrase is "Lil' ears" and he has replaced most of his furniture with the rococo series.

Hope that helps :)

Yes, thank you all, i had it all wrong, i understand completely now.
Most people don't actually care too much about non original villagers, it's just when they have really stupid catchphrases they spread to everyyooonneee/unfitting furniture in a house that was supposed to be themed etc

If there's a change of shirt or something minor not many people will mind ^_^

Yeah, it can be nitpicky, but when their house has a fossil or two and you can't get them out it's beyond annoying. The fossils are ugly and when you can't get the villager to ever sell it to you their house may be horrible forever.

If it's not fossils I don't mind, but the fossils - yeah, I mind. Ugh. :( Still, if I want the villager enough, maybe I can overlook it.

I'm not overly concerned about what "stuff" they may have. Their catchphrase can always be changed. It's the character personality or type that matters to me.

Last edited:
Back