• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ordering a Pizza: How much do you tip?

I'll usually tip them a dollar, though sometimes I get discouraged to tip at all. Just the other day I tipped the delivery guy a dollar, he looked at it and said "This is tip?!". I'm like "Yeah O_O. You're welcome!".
He had the most disgusted face I'd ever seen in my life, like I just handed him a penny or something lol
Seriously.... there are some ungrateful mother****ers out there >.<

I don't really tip delivery people, unless they leave a good impression and they seem nice. If they're nice and chatty, then I'll probably give them some change I have lying around somewhere. Other than that, they're doing their job so I have no reason to tip them, especially if they're late or rude.

It's just how I've been brought up. When I'm eating out with friends then, if the waiter/waitress does a good job and I have any money leftover, sometimes I'll tip a bit more.

nothing. tipping isn't a big part of australian culture

Never because we always order (and therefore pay) online ahah

Also isn't it required/expected in some places to tip a certain amount to like waiters/waitresses and the like in restaurants? Just wondered~

Last edited:
I don't buy Pizza from places like Pizza Hut, etc. Our family just buys the oven-made one, so when ever we do get restaurant pizza, I like to think of it as a "special treat". When we do get pizza delivered, I don't pay for it most of the time. The most I payed for pizza is $5 and that was because of a class party.

Also isn't it required/expected in some places to tip a certain amount to like waiters/waitresses and the like in restaurants? Just wondered~

I didn't think it should be required, I thought the point is that tipping is an extra, so if you really like your server you tip them because you think they deserve it

I didn't think it should be required, I thought the point is that tipping is an extra, so if you really like your server you tip them because you think they deserve it

Idk I seem to remember my mum saying when she was abroad somewhere they did really expect you to tip like 10% of what your meal costed at least to the waiter or you're frowned upon ahah

Idk I seem to remember my mum saying when she was abroad somewhere they did really expect you to tip like 10% of what your meal costed at least to the waiter or you're frowned upon ahah

in restaurants (here in ireland, at least) it's generally considered to be proper etiquette to tip the waiter around 10% of the total cost of your meal, although it's technically not required
that guideline doesn't extend to coffee shops or pizza deliveries or anything though, only proper meals where you are served by a waiter for the evening

i know in the US and canada (spent a lot of time in both over the past few years) tipping is much less optional and most credit card machines ask you how much you want to tip when you're paying, and there's no option to not give a tip

Last edited:
Never, unless there's a petty amount of change. We don't generally tip at all in the UK (except maybe if it's somewhere posh?), so it's not generally expected of you.

In Australia, we don't tip because people are paid decently.

Minimum wage in America is really ridiculous :(

In Australia, we don't tip because people are paid decently.

Minimum wage in America is really ridiculous :(

People who work in McDonald's and think they should be paid $15 an hour are insane. It's a stepping stone, not a full-time job.

- - - Post Merge - - -

No, it's kinda expected.
In other places like Norway, the tip is already added to the bill. This can be a problem if you don't like your waiter/waitress...

Tip Guide, for every occasion.

Food Service

Barista
No tip required, though many suggest throwing coins into the tip jar.
Bartender
$1/drink (or 15% of total bill). Pre-tip for better service.
Delivery person (including pizza)
10%, $2 minimum (also, also)
Maitre d?
$5-$25 for special efforts
Takeout
No tip required unless something special is done (also, also)
Waiter
15% for adequate service, 20% for exceptional service. For poor service, leave 10% or less. It?s okay to leave nothing for exceptionally poor service, but only if you?re sure it?s the waiter?s fault.
Hotel Staff

Bellman/Porter
$1 to $2 per bag, $5 minimum. (Or, just as many places say $1 bag, $2 minimum.)
Concierge
$5-$20 depending on the service. $20 if he does something exceptional. Nothing for directions.
Housekeeper
$2 to $5 per night, paid daily or as a lump sum at checkout. (Most sites suggest you tip daily.)
Parking Valet
A wide range of opinions. Everyone agrees that you should pay when your car is retrieved. Some say to pay when it?s parked, too. Most sites say to tip $2, though some suggest $5.
Room service
$5 minimum (unless gratuity is included in check)
Travel

Bus driver (not mass transit)
$1 to $2, if she handles luggage
Cab driver
10%, $2-$5 minimum
Chauffeur
10-15%
Gas station attendant
Nothing. Or $2-$4. There?s no agreement. (I?ve never seen anyone tip a gas station attendant ever.)
Porter/skycap
$1 per bag. $2 for heavy items, or if porter brings luggage to counter.
Personal service

Barber/Hairstylist
Again, little agreement: 10-15%, 15-20%, etc. One person recommends $5 to each individual who shampoos or blow-dries your hair! (also)
Manicurist
15%
Spa service
15-20%
Masseuse
10-15%
Shoe-shiner
$2 or $3
Other

Building superintendent
Varies ?read more.
Coat checker
Most sites recommend $1 per coat, though one said $2 to $5 upon retrieval.
Furniture deliverer
It depends. Most of the time $5-$20. Some recommend simply offering cold drinks. (also)
Grocery store bagger
One site recommended $1-$3, though I?ve never seen one tipped in my life.
Mover
$10-$25 per person (also)
What about tipping at holidays? Tipping service people with whom you have regular contact can build goodwill. I found these recommendations:

Holiday Tips

Babysitter: one week?s pay
Doorman: bottle of wine or box of chocolates
Garbage collector: $15 to $25
Gardener: one week?s pay
Housekeeper: one week?s pay
Janitor: $15 to $25
Mail carrier: $15 to $20 (up to $20 non-cash)
Nanny: one week?s pay
Newspaper delivery person: $15 to $25
Parking attendant: $15 to $25
Personal trainer: $20 to $50 (tip discreetly)
Some points regarding tipping etiquette:

If you use a coupon or gift certificate, calculate your tip based on the total before discount.
Tip above the norm if:
Service is exceptional,
You?ve been a burden, or
You are a regular client.
Don?t tip if it?s not deserved. Poor service should not be rewarded.
In some circumstances, if you offer an initial tip ? especially a large initial tip ? you?ll get better service.
If you take up a restaurant table for a long time, tip extra.
Tip discreetly.
When in doubt, tip.

I always do $5.

I've never had a rude delivery guy so I didn't have an issue so far, thankfully. Though, if he was super rude, I'd be calling the company to complain and not tipping at all.

5$ or so no matter what. mainly because some delivery people i know live off of tips. some people can't just quit and go to a different job, they're stuck with it for a while.

our pizza place is like 1 min away and a five minute walk so nada. even if I did order probs nothing cos i'm broke

Back