Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
Hey guys! So I'm doing my homework.

Here is the question :

Explain how, without multiplying, you can determine whether to put < or > in the circle below
2/7 x 3/10 O 2/7

By the way, those are fractions lol :D

Explain without multiplying the question thanks! There may be a tbt reward!

P.S this isn't cheating, I'm just confused because - so far i think its equal!

- - - Post Merge - - -

yaas, hard am i right?

Last edited:
3/10 is a fraction therefore the product will be less than what its multiplying (as multiplying a number by a fraction/decimal greater than 0 and less than 1 always produce a smaller number for it, assuming all parts of the equation are initially positive... also as always, multiplying by 0 will also always produce a smaller number unless you are multiplying 0 by 0 or the other number is a negative) so therefore as both the other numbers are the same the problem on the left will come out less than (<) the number on the right

I think

I'm not going into negative numbers though, as that's a whole new level of explanation, (or rather just more rules to add based on where the negatives are, how many, etc) which seems unneeded

Last edited:
3/10 is a fraction therefore the product will be less than what its multiplying (as multiplying a number by a fraction/decimal greater than 0 and less than 1 always produce a smaller number for it, assuming all parts of the equation are initially positive.... though multiplying by 0 always results in 0) so therefore as both the other numbers are the same the problem on the left will come out less than (<) the number on the right

I think

I'm not going into negative numbers though, as that's a whole new level of explanation (or rather just more rules to add based on where the negatives are, how many, etc)

lol so confusing

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh WAIT. nvm i see, okay i found it out X3. turns out, that 3/10 is ALREADY there. it wasnt added in so you're not really supposed to do anything. thanks for your help! for your confusing effort, i hope 20 tbt is ok!

It's 2/7 * a fraction and 2/7. A fraction is essentially a decimal. When you multiply a number by a decimal the end result is larger than the smallest but smaller than the largest. If you know 2/7 is being multiplied by 3/10, you know the value of 2/7 is going to shrunk down to 2/7 * 0.3, which is smaller than 2/7.

2/7 * 3/10 < 2/7

3/10 is the same as 0.3 aka 30%, so if you multiply a number by 30% the number will obvs be smaller than the original.
Given any number, if you multiply it with a fraction it'll be smaller than the original, as long as the fraction's denominator is larger than the numerator.

From what I understand the answer is < because 2/7*3/10 is asking "What is 3/10 of 2/7" so it's going to be less than 2/7. You're taking 3/10 of 2/7 away from it (that's worded really oddly so it might be wrong or confusing).

Back