Smash Bros Anyone else not a fan of this game?

LyraVale

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Pink Hybrid Lily
Isabelle
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Kirby Easter Egg
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Violet
Red Lily
White Lily
Yellow Lily
I never tried it before the demo, and the demo doesn't explain anything. Some people said they had HOURS of fun with just the demo...but, um...idk how. I gave up pretty fast.

Anyone else not like it, not get it, or...conversely anyone feel like they can somehow make a case in favor of it?

I hate when people have fun without me. lol

Have you played any of the previous Smash games? There's been 3 titles before this one.

Also, check out the review I wrote, located here. It goes over nearly everything about the game. Maybe it can clear up some of the confusion.

Last edited:
Have you played any of the previous Smash games? There's been 3 titles before this one.

Also, check out the review I wrote, located here. It goes over nearly everything about the game. Maybe it can clear up some of the confusion.

No I've never played any of them before. There is a similar battle mini-game/feature in Kirby Triple Deluxe, but that one is fun since I know the abilities and how to use them, etc. So I think it would be fun, if I could just figure it out lol.

Thank you for telling me about your review. I read the first half and while it's very good and explains the good things about the game, I thought I'd stop and reply right now. The problem I'm having is that I don't really understand the controls. I can sort of randomly keep spamming the controls and knock the other guy out, or get knocked out and somehow get back on the stage. But it's really not controlled by me...and therefore not fun. I know each character has a certain arsenal unique to themselves, but how do you figure out what and how/when to use it.

I gave up pretty fast.

Same here. I tried the demo, couldn't understand how it worked and didn't find spamming the buttons all that fun. This just isn't my kind of game, but hey, we can't all like the same thing, can we? :)

No I've never played any of them before. There is a similar battle mini-game/feature in Kirby Triple Deluxe, but that one is fun since I know the abilities and how to use them, etc. So I think it would be fun, if I could just figure it out lol.

Thank you for telling me about your review. I read the first half and while it's very good and explains the good things about the game, I thought I'd stop and reply right now. The problem I'm having is that I don't really understand the controls. I can sort of randomly keep spamming the controls and knock the other guy out, or get knocked out and somehow get back on the stage. But it's really not controlled by me...and therefore not fun. I know each character has a certain arsenal unique to themselves, but how do you figure out what and how/when to use it.

Well, it is a fighting game, and half the fun of fighting games is figuring out each characters moves and combos. Every fighting game includes a training mode, where you can practice. Smash is no exception.

The main thing to know and discern is how to do normal attacks and smash attacks. Smash attacks are done by hitting the control stick in a direction at the same time as the attack button. If you hold them, it'll charge up to a certain point and be much more powerful.

Same here. I tried the demo, couldn't understand how it worked and didn't find spamming the buttons all that fun. This just isn't my kind of game, but hey, we can't all like the same thing, can we? :)

I think maybe it's just the demo is geared towards people who already know the game series. I hate when they do that though, because the demo should really be geared towards everyone--and sell it to you even if you've never played before. Nintendo is weird with their marketing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well, it is a fighting game, and half the fun of fighting games is figuring out each characters moves and combos. Every fighting game includes a training mode, where you can practice. Smash is no exception.

The main thing to know and discern is how to do normal attacks and smash attacks. Smash attacks are done by hitting the control stick in a direction at the same time as the attack button. If you hold them, it'll charge up to a certain point and be much more powerful.

I think what you're saying is that part of the fun is figuring out what each character's pros and cons are, what they can do etc. So yeah I agree, that is fun. Like I said to Libra, I think the problem is the demo doesn't have a tutorial of the basics. So while everything beyond the basics sounds fun, if you don't know the basics you can get to the point of exploration.

Maybe I just don't like the demo, but I'd like the game. This happens a lot for me with Nintendo demos.

Nintendo games still sold well despite that marketing strategy though... They're too famous to care I guess.

I personally don't really like fighting games so I'm not getting Smash, I'm more interested in trying out the games where the characters are from. I still haven't tried Kid Icarus.

The demo does have a little tutorial in the beginning, you just have to wait on the start up screen a bit.
As for the game, you just gotta get use to the swing of things.
The controls are a bit tough for me like in the older Smash games it was easier to grab for me but there is no Z button for me to grab so I don't grab as much lol but the controls are just perfect for the portable version of smash. Just have a few matches and the controls will come to you in no time and character's fighting styling are easy to get the hang of. With practice, you'll master their movesets in no time. Anyway, the demo was just a little taste of things and having the whole game with all the characters is a whole new ball game. It really is a great game though and I hope after this thread you become a fan of it. : D

Nintendo games still sold well despite that marketing strategy though... They're too famous to care I guess.

I personally don't really like fighting games so I'm not getting Smash, I'm more interested in trying out the games where the characters are from. I still haven't tried Kid Icarus.

I like the fact that there are characters from other games...that's a really fun idea. Nintendo has such high quality, yet simple (in comparison) games...I really respect them for their games. But, yeah, the marketing baffles me.

I don't usually care for fighting games TOO much either, but I'm open to it. My boyfriend got kinda excited to try it at first, cuz he doesn't care for any of my other games, but this one he was like, Oh let me try it out. And even he got frustrated and bored cuz he couldn't figure out how to control anything.

Its probably already been said, but there's a tutorial at the beginning if you wait a few seconds.

But for how you play (controls described for where originally mapped, can be changed in settings)

Circle Pad left/right=move left right
Circle Pad down=crouch/drop down from platform (some characetrs can move while crouching)
Circle Pad up=jump (also x and y buttons will do this as well)

on ground
A=normal attack
light tap of Circle Pad+A=tilt attack (3 variations: side, up, and down)
hard press of Circle Pad+A=smash attack (again, 3 variations: side, up, and down, charge for higher power or just release instantly... will automatically go off after about a second of charging though)
B=standard special attack
Control Stick+B=tilt special attacks (once more, 3 variations: side, up, and down.... up special is also typically though not always your character's main method of recovery if jumping doesn't work well enough)

L=grab

while grabbing any enemy
L/A=grab attack
Circle Pad=throw (side, up and down variations)

R=shield (it drains by being attacked as well as just keeping it out, and if it breaks you're temporarily stunned)

while shielding
Circle Pad down=dodge
Circle Pad left/right=roll in direction (you will end up facing the opposite direction you rolled, so roll left to face right and vice-versa)

in the air
A=aerial attack
Circle Pad+A=tilt aerial attack (this one has 4 variations: up, down, and a front and back side depending on which direction you're facing while in the air. so if you're facing left, left+A will be front aerial, right+A will be back aerial)
R=aerial dodge
see special B moves listed in grounded section above, they generally all work in the air as well
also some characters like Donkey Kong can also grab enemies while in midair

I think this is all the basic control stuff. Probably even more than you needed actually lel.

Goal is to get your opponent flying off the screen via having them take enough damage pretty much, though stamina matches also have the added goal of making you want to get your opponent down to 0% health. However if you knock them completely out of the stage, it will count as knocking them down to 0% health even if they're at high numbers still. Also coin matches have you collect the most coins, but I don't think I've seen that in 3DS version? Or maybe I'm forgetting.

Anything else, just ask. It's not too terribly hard a game to understand or even play once you get used to its controls. Higher difficulties could be troublesome, but unless you're trying to 100% everything the game is pretty generous with letting you stay on lower difficulties with just a few characters you get good at.

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh and A also picks up items and then uses/throws them if possible depending on the item

example
pick up assist trophy=use automatically
pick up raygun=A will fire a shot and will continue each tim you press A until you run out of ammo in wgich case it will be thrown
pick up Pokeball=A will throw it releasing the Pokemon inside

Smash balls (glowing things with Smash Bros. logo that fly around) will be destroyed if damaged enough, and the character who destroyed it gets to use their Final Smash attack. A super powerful attack that will generally if it connects KO the opponent, or failing that, make them take a lot of damage at least. Which you'll know if a character can use it, because the screen will darken and that specific character will have the same glow around them that the Smash Ball did. Final Smashes can be dodged however, though the degree of difficulty varies with which character it is. Like for example Link's (which requires you to line your opponent up with you) would be easier to dodge than Pikachu's (which has him flying all over the screen controlled by whoever is playing him). Also, its entirely possible to knock Smash Balls out of opponents by attacking whoever has it, in which case they or someone else can then try and attack the Smash Ball again to take it for themselves. Lastly, Smash Balls will vanish after a time if nobody destroys it.

B (while glowing)=use Final Smash (grounded or aerial, though you can't be tilting the Circle Pad)

Last edited:
Its probably already been said, but there's a tutorial at the beginning if you wait a few seconds.

But for how you play (controls described for where originally mapped, can be changed in settings)

Circle Pad left/right=move left right
Circle Pad down=crouch/drop down from platform (some characetrs can move while crouching)
Circle Pad up=jump (also x and y buttons will do this as well)

on ground
A=normal attack
light tap of Circle Pad+A=tilt attack (3 variations: side, up, and down)
hard press of Circle Pad+A=smash attack (again, 3 variations: side, up, and down, charge for higher power or just release instantly... will automatically go off after about a second of charging though)
B=standard special attack
Control Stick+B=tilt special attacks (once more, 3 variations: side, up, and down.... up special is also typically though not always your character's main method of recovery if jumping doesn't work well enough)

L=grab

while grabbing any enemy
L/A=grab attack
Circle Pad=throw (side, up and down variations)

R=shield (it drains by being attacked as well as just keeping it out, and if it breaks you're temporarily stunned)

while shielding
Circle Pad down=dodge
Circle Pad left/right=roll in direction (you will end up facing the opposite direction you rolled, so roll left to face right and vice-versa)

in the air
A=aerial attack
Circle Pad+A=tilt aerial attack (this one has 4 variations: up, down, and a front and back side depending on which direction you're facing while in the air. so if you're facing left, left+A will be front aerial, right+A will be back aerial)
R=aerial dodge
see special B moves listed in grounded section above, they generally all work in the air as well
also some characters like Donkey Kong can also grab enemies while in midair

I think this is all the basic control stuff. Probably even more than you needed actually lel.

Goal is to get your opponent flying off the screen via having them take enough damage pretty much, though stamina matches also have the added goal of making you want to get your opponent down to 0% health. However if you knock them completely out of the stage, it will count as knocking them down to 0% health even if they're at high numbers still. Also coin matches have you collect the most coins, but I don't think I've seen that in 3DS version? Or maybe I'm forgetting.

Anything else, just ask. It's not too terribly hard a game to understand or even play once you get used to its controls. Higher difficulties could be troublesome, but unless you're trying to 100% everything the game is pretty generous with letting you stay on lower difficulties with just a few characters you get good at.

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh and A also picks up items and then uses/throws them if possible depending on the item

example
pick up assist trophy=use automatically
pick up raygun=A will fire a shot and will continue each tim you press A until you run out of ammo in wgich case it will be thrown
pick up Pokeball=A will throw it releasing the Pokemon inside

Smash balls (glowing things with Smash Bros. logo that fly around) will be destroyed if damaged enough, and the character who destroyed it gets to use their Final Smash attack. A super powerful attack that will generally if it connects KO the opponent, or failing that, make them take a lot of damage at least. Which you'll know if a character can use it, because the screen will darken and that specific character will have the same glow around them that the Smash Ball did. Final Smashes can be dodged however, though the degree of difficulty varies with which character it is. Like for example Link's (which requires you to line your opponent up with you) would be easier to dodge than Pikachu's (which has him flying all over the screen controlled by whoever is playing him). Also, its entirely possible to knock Smash Balls out of opponents by being attacked, in which case they or someone else can then try and attack the Smash Ball again to take it for themselves. Lastly, Smash Balls will vanish after a time if nobody destroys it.

B=use Final Smash (grounded or aerial, though can't be tilting the Circle Pad)

This was VERY helpful info, thank you for taking the time. I'll also check out the demo's tutorial.

Quick question, as far as defense, is it just a matter of dodging by moving around and using the shield? I guess you could just counter-attack and hope your thing gets them first, right? I'll probably have to figure it out myself by playing with it. At least now I kind know what to push when!

Its mostly just guarding/dodging/rolling/moving, though some characters (Fox and Falco have their reflectors, Mario has his cape, Villager's pocket can work as a pseudo-reflect, etc) also have means to reflect projectile attacks. Countering isn't too much of a thing though, and off the top of my head the only character that comes to mind that has something akin to that is Little Mac. Whose entire playstyle is focused on dodging/countering attacks enough to fill up your KO meter fast enough to be able to attempt to one-shot the opponent.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh yeah, also...

running speed varies on how hard you press the direction, light for walk, hard for dash
most characters have 2 jumps, though some have more (Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Jigglypuff all have 5 jumps off the top of my head... possible I might be missing some)
dash+A=dash attack

Knew I was forgetting a few more things, so hopefully that should be everything basic now.

Last edited:
Ok wow that's a lot of stuff to figure out...now I don't feel so dumb for getting flustered by the demo.

Thanks again for explaining. :)

I'm just not a fan of how small and cramped everything feels, not to mention controls can be really hit or miss. :/ Otherwise it's a rather solid game.

I think maybe it's just the demo is geared towards people who already know the game series. I hate when they do that though, because the demo should really be geared towards everyone--and sell it to you even if you've never played before. Nintendo is weird with their marketing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think what you're saying is that part of the fun is figuring out what each character's pros and cons are, what they can do etc. So yeah I agree, that is fun. Like I said to Libra, I think the problem is the demo doesn't have a tutorial of the basics. So while everything beyond the basics sounds fun, if you don't know the basics you can get to the point of exploration.

Maybe I just don't like the demo, but I'd like the game. This happens a lot for me with Nintendo demos.

You could always Google the controls and/or figure them out yourself.

Well, I'm just not fan of the game, neither of the previous ones. Mainly because I'm not good enough. XD
It's kinda fun, but I wouldn't play hours.

You could always Google the controls and/or figure them out yourself.

Too lazy. Well, I didn't even try cuz I just gave up on the game...and I'm still not too sure I like it, per se. Giving it a chance though. It's a LOT better when you're not just spamming random buttons, and you know what the objective is.

I got some great advice here from LambdaDelta, which was very helpful.

Also Javocado sent me this link which breaks down the controls info really well, so I'm posting it here if anyone else has the same issue I had.

Too lazy. Well, I didn't even try cuz I just gave up on the game...and I'm still not too sure I like it, per se. Giving it a chance though. It's a LOT better when you're not just spamming random buttons, and you know what the objective is.

I got some great advice here from LambdaDelta, which was very helpful.

Also Javocado sent me this link which breaks down the controls info really well, so I'm posting it here if anyone else has the same issue I had.

Useful link for beginners, but only shows their special moves ^^;

Back