• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Cure for insomnia?

Plasticlizards

Baconator
Bells
Yellow Candy
I've found that lately it's nearly impossible for me to sleep at night, and I end up lying awake in bed until 3-4am.
I have to get up at 5 every morning, so this is a problem.
I'm extremely tired during the day and I'm worried it might start to take a toll on my school work and focus. That would be bad.
For some reason I just can't fall asleep.
It has nothing to do with having a lot on my mind, because I don't. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

Are there any suggestions on things I could try to possibly help me fall asleep?
I know that listening to music doesn't work for me, so rule that out.

Hm... I personally have trouble falling asleep all the time.
I usually just think like crazy and roll around alot. It's tiring. But since I'm weird like that, I don't actually know if this will work.
You can try reading a book or comic. Those used to tire me a whole lot.

Maybe pick up a sport, to tire yourself out more during the day?
Medication can help, but thats more like a last resort ofcourse.

Also avoid certain foods and drinks late in the evening. (I find it harder to fall asleep if I eat a lot of sugary things, fruit or chocolate late at night, same with the Obvious drinks like coffee and cola.)
Thats also reversable, by drinking tea or warm milk at night maybe, to improve the chances of sleeping, also maybe taking a relaxing shower?

Other then that, reading might be a suggestion. Its quite an intense thing to do, especially when you read more serious books/articles. Same with tv.

I would probably try something like jogging/swimming/cycling/fitness or whatever you like. Maybe its not that you have to much to worry about, but that you have to little to worry about. Even though you clearly have stuff to do, maybe it isn`t giving you enough of a challenge? I d?n`t know.

But as a fellow sufferer of insomnia, I know the feeling and I hope you'll find a way in it. It truly is something that can really knock the stuffing out of you.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go for a run after dinner & read before bed. Hopefully it will help!
I wonder, does pain medication have any effect on sleeping? For the past few days I've had to take ibuprofen during the day due to frequent migraine headaches, which are also pretty crappy.

if you have a walmart around you or any big grocery stores, you can buy melatonin, which is the natural chemical in your body that promotes sleep. it usually comes in 2 or 3 mg capsules, but i've seen higher dosages. usually i will take two if i'm having trouble sleeping and it works wonders. also - nighty night tea also helps, it has a refreshing light mint flavor.

good luck sleeping!

I am not a medical professional.

A shot of the alcohol of your choice should help get the sleepiness there.

Melatonin is good though. My mother gives it to the dogs when they get way too out of hand and they calm down.

Last edited:
Is it hot where you live? (I think I saw you say you lived in a humid area in another thread.) It's usually harder to sleep if it's hot and sticky. I notice when ever it's hot during night, I just take a shower and and go to sleep 15-20 minutes later. It helps for me.

Try to drink water. Don't think about a lot of stuff before you fall asleep. Use the bathroom before bed. Try to get really comfortable while you're trying to sleep. Try to force yourself to not use electronics. Don't take any naps during the day and try not to eat heavy before going to sleep. If you do get hungry and you feel like you have to eat something, try eating something like peanuts or yogurt. Try to relax as much as possible, it doesn't help if you're feeling anxious about something going on that will stress you out.

This is all the advice I have, hope I helped.

Last edited:
I have watched my dad suffer from insomnia his whole life and i have it sometimes too. These are a few things that influence me:

- sugar. Seriously if its too close to bedtime, it wires me up. Try to cut it out starting at 3:00 p.m. Yes, that seems early but maybe your system processes it slowly. Be aware of hidden sugar. Like processed food, such as a tv dinner, might have a lot. Bread sometimes has a lot. I really read labels because i might end up paying for it later.

- caffeine. Obvious, but again, cut it off early then you think, like at 3:00 p.m. My dad, if he has any after 3:00 p.m., is done for that night. He cuts it off really early. And its not just coffee, soda has it too.

- exercise. Get lots of it, but not within a few hours of bedtime.

- tv. Some people are really sensitive to it. It does something to the brain to make you all active. If you are raising a kid, just about any article you read says cut it off a few hours before putdown, otherwise your kid just wont sleep. I try to cut it off an hour earlier then bedtime.

- a few of my tricks: warm milk, always seem to knock me out. Also, reading wikipedia on a boring subject. Pretend you need to read it for school. Remember how homework made you sleepy? At least it did for me. That always works for me at least.

Having said that, i am typing this 1:00 a.m. my time! Yes, its my turn tonight i guess. :)

I was having a lot of problems with sleep too because of a condition I have. I'll give you the advice I got from my doctor.

- Don't lie in or on your bed unless you are going to sleep. This was a really hard one for me because I love to sit in bed during the day and watch TV but cutting this back has helped a lot.
- Attempt to sleep at the same time every night and set an alarm for the same time every day. Make sure you give yourself enough hours to sleep. Usually between 7-9 hours is best, depending on your personal needs.
- Choose a place that makes you feel relaxed and safe and think of it every night before you go to sleep. This can be an imagined place, a place from your memory or somewhere you go often that makes you feel relaxed.
- If you find yourself lying in bed for longer than half an hour, get out of bed and do something that is relaxing but will keep you awake, such as listening to music or reading. After doing that for 15-20 minutes try and sleep again. Repeat until you are asleep.
- Finally, get up when your alarm goes off, regardless of how many hours you managed to sleep that night and go to bed at the same time, even if you are more or less tired than usual.

Hope these tips help!

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound harsh, but getting off the computer helps. Bright lights in your face, or any light source directly in your eyes will keep you awake. This means your phone, your laptop, your TV. Put them all away. Music helps. You could try sleepsounds if you have an android. It not only has high and low frequency beeps that help induce sleep, dreams, etc... it also has customizable settings to make your own sleep sound. Also, when I cannot sleep I use an addon to sleep by android that has red blinking lights for 5 minutes that I put over my closed eyes. The blinking lights stimulate the brain for relaxation, kinda like hypnotism but a milder form of it. I prefer a natural route to taking medication or herbal remedies after I discovered that companies who make herbal remedies do not legally have to tell the consumers just what they are putting into these things, and an in depth study showed that they can actually contain cartagines. No thx. I actually use these methods, all of them, to sleep.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but getting off the computer helps. Bright lights in your face, or any light source directly in your eyes will keep you awake. This means your phone, your laptop, your TV. Put them all away. Music helps. You could try sleepsounds if you have an android. It not only has high and low frequency beeps that help induce sleep, dreams, etc... it also has customizable settings to make your own sleep sound. Also, when I cannot sleep I use an addon to sleep by android that has red blinking lights for 5 minutes that I put over my closed eyes. The blinking lights stimulate the brain for relaxation, kinda like hypnotism but a milder form of it. I prefer a natural route to taking medication or herbal remedies after I discovered that companies who make herbal remedies do not legally have to tell the consumers just what they are putting into these things, and an in depth study showed that they can actually contain cartagines. No thx. I actually use these methods, all of them, to sleep.

~

This is true. I have awful panic attacks before I sleep, and a few things that help me stay calm are: shutting off my computer and closing all my doors. That being said, if I don't watch something before sleep, I'm likely to have a panic attack. The way I've found to counter this is to watch something on my phone. Generally I'll watch let's plays of games I've played a million times. This helps me sleep, (as long as the let's players aren't loud and obnoxious. ((like pew de pie, I DETEST him)) ). It helps because I'm not caught up in the story of the game, and the repetitive music helps lull me to sleep, and sometimes male voices at night are so calming..not to sound weird. ((sorry, that DOES sound weird, don't mind me))

Agree with what Callaway has already said.

Tire yourself out before bed time. If you do things on your bed such as: laptop usage, eating (lol), studying, etc. etc., your brain starts to associate the bed with these activities, which could also lead it to being active thinking you're doing these. If that makes sense to you. So in a sense, I used to study on my bed. Which lead to anxiety and panic attacks at night bc I kept thinking about my study material (mind you this was over 6mos+ of the same action), until I realized I needed to do it at my work desk (so association can happen). Anyway... I find that exercising (hrs before) and tiring myself does help. Try going into bed earlier each day, although it may take forever to fall asleep it could potentially work. Whatever works for you :D

Thank you guys all so much, it always seems that when I'm looking for advice this is the right place to go. lol.
Definitely going to try some of these things tonight before bed.

Does having a fan running effect anything? I always have to have a fan on in my room or I get too hot.

For me melatonin helps sometimes but if you have to wake up at five, I wouldn't take it past 8 pm because otherwise the effect might last well into the morning. But that's only a temporary fix, it's not healthy to take it every night.

I know that computer screens or anything with a backlight can inhibit your body's natural melatonin production so maybe you could try setting a time when you turn off the screens or at least turn the brightness down.

I also have problems with insomnia and I find that it's worse when I drink caffeine after noon. Some people's bodies take longer than others to process caffeine so if you have a soda in the evening it may keep you awake

Lastly, look up autogenic relaxation. It's basically meditation but on youtube there's guided audio that helps some people sleep. Personally it doesn't really work for me but it's worth a try

ok dr karla is here to help

the cure for insomnia is to sleep more. i know its hard to believe, but i have scientific data to prove it

1XirRkO.gif

as u can see, ur imsomnia levels go down the longer u sleep, but u see diminishing results after about 9 hrs of sleep, in other words dont be a lazyhead

if this is a serious issue that's starting to effect your daily life, I suggest going to see a doctor about it. a bunch of kids on an animal crossing forum probably aren't the most reliable sources for medical advice.

Back